Triangle architecture & design

mikeinnc

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Examples: Suspension bridges, trusses, all of the groovy toasters and small appliances at Target- they are popular because of their simplicity. Therefore, I think an office tower should reflect its purpose and thats it."

Uh, MOST bridges, toasters, appliances, trusses, don't tower over a city or region the way a 30-70 story skyscraper does. A city often criticized for being sterile and dull, should be especially careful that its most prominent buildings don't reinforce that impression.

• 1 month later...

Here's an article about LEED certification in Triangle area architecture.

In each of the past three years, seven Triangle projects have sought coveted green building distinctions from the U.S. Green Building Council. This year's tally is already up to eight. Six of them were added to the list last week.

A 100,000-square-foot building without sustainable-design features might cost about $30 million to operate over 40 years, according to a case study by SFL&A. The same building with about $3.5 million in green design features could save the operator $8 million in utility costs over the same period, based on current energy prices.

Indeed, all the LEED-certified buildings in the Triangle are owned by institutions. More are expected: Durham's human services complex will feature special windows that reflect heat and sun shades that help reduce the need for air-conditioning. Raleigh's new convention center is also seeking LEED certification.

Hmmm, didn't know the RCC was seeking LEED. I wonder on which grounds (energy, stormwater, etc)--that's never been mentioned in the media before that I know of.

Its good to see the Triangle (or at least the universities and institutes) leading the state in these initiatives. Duke should have 2-3 more buildings LEED certified soon and UNC should have a couple as well. They have should added solar panels on Morrison dorm during its renovation.

• 10 months later...

As we've heard before, the AIA is moving from their HQ in the old Raleigh water tower to the Blount Street area--actually Wilmington & Peace. The AIA decided to hold a design competition for their HQ, and their decision will be made on Jan 24th. Perhaps this project--and maybe CAM--could raise the level of architecture in the capital city?

Dan Douglas at the UDC has stated to me that he wants the city to hold a national design competition for the future RFP for city sites 2 & 3 as well, which I think would be a fantastic idea. I think we need one of these "cutting edge" modernist projects to actually be built in order to show the market that high quality design can fetch an untapped residential/office market and raise the bar in Raleigh.

I have always wondered if all the architects I see around is normal for a city the size...our online yellow pages have 12 pages, and many are downtown, Cherry Huffman, Clearscapes, New City Design, BJAC, BFE, Cannon, Clark Patterson, Cline, Harmon Frank, J Davis, JS Architecture, Maurer....I am leaving off at least 10 also located downtown. Architecture can bring together, Energy, Technology, cutting edge design...competitions of this sort sound awesome to me, and sort of cinch together many things this region is known for.

• 3 weeks later...

My mom is good friends with Wayne Camas-the current president. He actually did not favor a new HQ but preferred the water tower location. I like that the judges ARE NOT from NC-maybe we will end with something novel and cutting edge rather than the standard watered-down Raleighesque design.

The picture that is provided as Frank Harmon's winning entry looks like something you would build out in Arizona, New Mexico, or Utah. It's amazing to me that the AIANC is going from a very cool-historic building,(Raleigh's watertower), to what appears to be a glass barn? Sad! But that is Modernism for ya! But that's IMHO! :(

Here's New Raleigh's coverage.

fha_1.jpg

If you click on Harmon's design and move to the next slide, you'll find the design includes:

• a green roof

• a pourous (not impervious) paved parking surface

• storage of stromwater onsite

• geothermal wells for heating

• a building shell that collects rainwater for reuse and shades southern sunlight

• employs a garden with native plants

Last night I watched Charlie Rose's Green Millenium, and was intrigued by the discussion of the degree to which sustainability has moved into the forefront of, at least, the university design setting. Ironically, Frank Harmon's design being released the same day as the program aired and reflecting many (all?) of the principles discussed last fall on Rose's panel gives me some hope that this project will set forth a new thought process here locally about what sustainability means in practice, rather than repeated as a planning uber-buzzword. I hope the AIA HQ moves forward promptly, so the public can see the benefits of melding green building with unique asthetics.

Seeing the submittals, I'm convinced a national design competition for city-owned sites 2 & 3 (parking lots fronting Litchtin Plaza next to the Memorial Auditorium) could build on the AIA success, and take things to the next level.

One of the great things about this building that grows on me is the incorporation of the structure into the landscape and the surrounding structures. It doesn't seem like a shiny building just plopped down on a corner. It seems as if there are a lot of great architecture firms here in Triangle and would like to see more of their work around not just on college campuses.

• 1 year later...

now that this thread is back at the top, let me ask something I've been wondering lately--what happened to the new AIANC headquarters at Wilmington and Peace and discussed two posts up^^?

I note that the cleared area has been turned into a giant parking lot (there's a big surprise for you), although a construction fence is up all around the parking lot. I assume they lost their financing due to the economic crash?

I passed a photo-op for a big group of architects there about two weeks ago and asked one on the way by what the timeline was and he said he did not know. I assume the photo-op means its happening somehow sometime relatively soon.

Archived