Minneapolis Westin

Minneapolitan

The Westin will be created through the conversion of the historic, former F&M Bank building.

Highlights:

*214-room Westin hotel

*Located at the corner of 6th Street and Marquette Ave.

*Conversion of the 11-story, 150,000 square-foot building is expected to begin next month

*The focal point of the hotel will be the 7,200-square-foot lobby with 35-foot-high clear span ceilings, which will incorporate the former bank's classic Art Deco architecture, including a three-story grand marble staircase, chandeliers, wood paneling and brass and nickel-plated vault doors.

*The lobby will feature a 100-seat upscale restaurant, including a display kitchen. Six private dinning rooms will be created from existing bankers' offices.

*The building will have approximately 8,000 square feet of meeting space and 7,000 square feet of

retail space on the Skyway level.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the heads up. I actually had to go to 6th and Marquette over lunch to refresh my memory of what the heck that building even looks like. Not the most captivating edifice on earth. I work two blocks away and never notice it, even in the skyways, which I think a convenience store and Hobbit Travel may occupy space on F&M's skyway level, when I think about it in my mind's map. I hope the Westin upgrades the exterior a bit.

I haven't been inside this building for years, but I remember the lobby and banking/teller area to be quite a stunningly beautiful art deco space. If this conversion actually comes to pass, and it is done right, there will be no hotel lobby like it, certainly not in the upper midwest.

Thanks for the heads up. I actually had to go to 6th and Marquette over lunch to refresh my memory of what the heck that building even looks like. Not the most captivating edifice on earth. I work two blocks away and never notice it, even in the skyways, which I think a convenience store and Hobbit Travel may occupy space on F&M's skyway level, when I think about it in my mind's map. I hope the Westin upgrades the exterior a bit.

For me, the old F & M Building is a gem. Though perhaps overshadowed by newer structures, it has a beautiful art deco lobby and the exterior is understated and classic.

For me, the old F & M Building is a gem. Though perhaps overshadowed by newer structures, it has a beautiful art deco lobby and the exterior is understated and classic.

I think I was most perplexed by the setback, upper floors. I can't quite figure out what's going on there. But yes, the lower portion is very nice with the lobby and such. And the exterior of that portion, which juts out to the sidewalk is well done. Art deco gem indeed. And there have been quite the few cold days when I thought I could tolerate my outside walk up Marquette to work, but frantically realized I was entering mid-stage frostbite and ducked into that building to use the grand curving stairway up to the warmth of the skyway level. And then seeing Hobbit Travel straight in front of me. It almost makes you want to march in there, defrost your eyeballs and book an immediate trip to Hawaii.

Anyway, bravo for the Westin!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived