we need a little patience

blackstone

I just want to say one more thing about arenas and teams that play in them. i don't know what goes on in cities other than those in ct or in nyc, so when a team leaves one place or goes to another, i really don't know why they left or why they were deemed to be desireable in the receiving city. it took a long time to be aware of all the reasons and conditions that caused the whalers to leave. i am sure though that because of them leaving and the patriots playing hartford for leverage in boston and not coming here, one result is the development that is now taking place in hartford. there just would not have been enough public money around here with these sports entities. as a past season ticket holder and fan of the whalers, i believe that at some time in the future, a team here would work, but not now. i have no respect for the naysayers but i also think the cheerleaders that want to bring a team here yesterday are also wrong. before a team is a good idea here, a lot of things must happen and it won't be before this decade ends. its a time for some patience and tending to what is currently in development.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An important point. We must focus on residential development and holding onto city jobs above all else. Then we can talk pro-sports in Hartford. A few months of planning to make sure the right decision is made is good for everyone.

I agree to a point. I think you are correct, and it's my feeling the city had to hit rock bottom before it could rebuild. When the Whalers left you could argue the city did hit rock bottom and we are finally doing things that should have been done years ago. I think Hartford is a stronger city for it (and it pains me as a huge Whalers fan to say it). However, I have a feeling that the arena is a serious issue and will be addressed shortly. Luring a full time tenant like the NHL will take more time, but still worth pursuing. Now is the time to talk about the arena and I'd rather it go up now (meaning within the next few years) while there are still lots large enough to develop downtown. More resedential, retail, and office space can continue to be delveloped on smaller foot prints. Imagine the nightmare if the HCC is replaced someday and the only viable plots are in the Meadows or Rentschler.

Connecticut has to reverse their anti-business laws and regulations. That's the most important thing. The state is pro-union and needs to be more evenhanded. Thye have piuished businesses for long time.

I may be slowly dawning on our poloiticians that you can't be pro-jobs and anti-business. Fix this problem and most of Hartord's and Connecticut's problems will start to disapppear.

Archived