Voltaire's corner

TheGerbil

Ahem. Pittsburgh board, or Seattle board? Which is this again?

Why DO you come here SunD? So that any time Seattle gets mentioned you can start telling us how great you think it is? I do not care how many microbreweries you have, or how many buildings are going up. If I want to know, I will go to the Seattle forum.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahem. Pittsburgh board, or Seattle board? Which is this again?

Not my fault both our football teams are kicking butt thus thrusting both our cities into the spotlight for the next two weeks.

Why DO you come here SunD?
The same reason you do. I usually don't say much however.

I do not care how many microbreweries you have, or how many buildings are going up.

Then stop reading threads about the Pittsburgh mayor making bets with the Seattle mayor then, sheesh.

MadVlad, no he stuck strictly to the Super Steelers! (This was Monday and Mario's conference was today).

SunD, I think G and others on here are actually getting turned off to your city . . . it's one thing to discuss them in relevant threads but if your overall goal is to iluminate us on what a great town is out there, you might want to start by showing how Seattle is special in a context we can all understand being Pittsburghers, not by proving us wrong or jumping at every chance to defend out-of-town stereotypes.

As far as your point on the hops and micros, never knew that about Yakima . . . I would point out that the king of all micros--Sam Adams--began its meteoric rise by buying relabeled Iron City, as recently as 3-5 years ago! Pittsburgh has some rich tradition of brewing from the first beer in cans to the first monastic brewery in the U.S., to the first lite beer.

Prepare for two weeks of Pittsburgh vs. Seattle talk and a lot of silly stereotyping. NFL Live on ESPN had a little city vs. city piece at the end of the show.

They had blue collar vs. white collar, Iron City vs. lattes, The Deer Hunter (hmm, hunting scenes filmed outside of Seattle) vs. Sleepless in Seattle, and three rivers vs. Puget Sound.

SunD, I think G and others on here are actually getting turned off to your city

That is the ultimate in petty. Amazing.

Though you might have the best intentions Tooluther and SunD, the board and its mods have decided long ago that "trash talk" or stereotyping is strictly for the coffee house, possibly the sports forums, and even then it really isn't "on the field" trash talking (personal insults, mama putdowns, etc. a big no-no). Talking about others trashtalking (ESPN, ABC, etc.) is game as far as analyzing what implications it has for Pittsburhg on global TV. If you are looking for some all-out slug fests I suggest the sports forum or coffee house, but nothing personal. :) happy posting!

. . . SunD, not really following your logic on the "petty" thing, I have been getting through some backchannels here static from posters getting tired of your constant homerism--on the wrong city here, some just tuning you out, I tend to disuade doing any moderating on it since I welcome any and all comparisons between Pittsburgh and like metros, but I can see where they are getting tired of the seemingly constant "vs." you appear to incite. I've always viewed these forums as a harbor for ideas and opinion (as long as it is respectful), just wondering why I keep reading how some are coming to hate a city they've never visited just by reading posts. We are all ambassadors of our respective cities--wether we like it or not--winning may not be as important as just learning and talking. Again just my 2 cents, but as the mod I tend to see the backstory on these boards a lot more. :)

SunD, it's not just this thread. You never seem to post unless you are talking about Seattle. And all you seem to be doing it trying to make us believe your city is better than ours. It is just getting kind of old.

As far as the ESPN thing, it sounds like they were just stereotyping both cities, which is too bad. I do wish the media could be a bit more clever than just pitting stereotype versus stereotype.

That is the ultimate in petty. Amazing.

I'm personally not any more or less fond of Seattle because of your posts. But frankly I think what is petty is you coming in here and sniffing around for any passing mention os Seattle so you can start telling us how great it is. Like anyone really cares who's REI location is bigger or who has more breweries. Both cities are nice in their own ways. Both have been through bad times and good times. Both have their own separate forums here.

"I (may) dissaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the (virtual) death your right to say it (as long as it is something personal or insulting that in hindsight led to the French Revolution)."

Topic showed a trend toward some personal debates going on, the criticisms are beyond the bounds of constructive any longer. I remind everyone why we are here again, to learn, share and experience Pittsburgh to a greater degree, sometimes there will be posts we don't care about, sometimes we will have to put things we do care about in the context of Pittsburgh. Let's keep it respectful and if criticism let it be constructive. I chose not to delete these, we can keep our counts and keep them on the table, if anyone feels they haven't gotten their last word I welcome your PM.

Archived