~what we need-

mrknowitall

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It also helps that they have a campus of 20 - 30K students RIGHT next to downtown :P The vibrancy is there, but I still don't find A2 all that appealing (personally). The areas around Borders (Liberty Street?) always look dirty :sick:

It definitely does help that U of M is right down the street, and Ann Arbor isn't perfect, but they do have solid foot traffic in the evenings. I wonder how many students attend or live at the GVSU downtown campus. Would they (or do they?) walk to places like Monroe Center or Ionia? And would they more often if shops were open later?

It definitely does help that U of M is right down the street, and Ann Arbor isn't perfect, but they do have solid foot traffic in the evenings. I wonder how many students attend or live at the GVSU downtown campus. Would they (or do they?) walk to places like Monroe Center or Ionia? And would they more often if shops were open later?

There are really only those two residential buildings across Fulton from the downtown GVSU Campus, so maybe a couple hundred?? Otherwise, they're spread out around downtown or they live in Allendale. There are a lot of GRCC students who live in Heritage Hill and walk to school.

I sort of look at downtown Ann Arbor as a an extension of the UofM campus. There are some businesses in the "Gobs of Brick" (Hobbs & Black Architecture) builldings, but not a lot. Even moreso in downtown East Lansing. 9/10th's of the businesses are totally geared to the University.

Ann Arbor's diversity definitely strengthens its downtown vibrancy. Not only does Ann Arbor have a large student population, it also benefits from the hospital and many R&D firms which all provide a virtual melting pot of society. There is so much to explore in Ann Arbor, with its restaurants, shopping, parks, sports and museums. It is a place where one easily spend a day there without driving, kind of like Chicago on a smaller scale.

Generally, many cities that are home to a major university are a desirable place to live because of the small town feel, yet big town accessability. The potential increased population in this city from the colleges and medical fields is still unknown, but there seems to more interest in city living. Grand Rapids is improving all the time with new and interesting dining, nightlife and cultural venues, but we still need to increase retail to balance out the amenities downtown.

I think it would be great for Grand Rapids to become a destination for people in the surrounding communities to come and spend the day wandering and enjoying something not found in the suburbs. It would provide a great alternative to the three hour drive to Chicago (not that GR could ever compare to Chicago but it could be a really nice destination for all).

Archived