Urban Living Experiences of Forum-ers

sax184

I'm curious. Answer as many of these as you wish. If the answer is yes, please elaborate.

1. Have you ever lived in a CITY (not a metro area, a city) with over 350,000 people?

2. Have you ever lived in a metro area with established, 7-day a week rail transit? (Charlotte Trolley does not count)

3. Have you ever lived outside the United States?

4. Have you ever lived in a neighborhood where you regularly walked (more than once a week) to buy groceries?

5. Have you ever lived anywhere where you regularly used public buses to get around?

6. Have you ever lived in a mixed-use building? (i.e residential and office or residential and retail)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Yes. Copenhagen, Washington, D.C., New York (Brooklyn & Manhattan)

2. Yes. Copenhagen, Washington, D.C., New York (Brooklyn & Manhattan)

3. Yes. Copenhagen

4. Yes. Charlottesville, Copenhagen, Washington, D.C., New York (Brooklyn & Manhattan)

5. Yes. Charlottesville, Copenhagen, Washington, D.C., New York (Brooklyn & Manhattan)

6. Yes. Washington, D.C. and New York (Brooklyn & Manhattan)

Good topic! Perhaps, you should add a few more questions including, (1) have you ever lived in a mixed-income neighborhood? (2) have you ever lived in a neighborhood where more than a quarter of your neighbors were of a different race or ethnicity than you? (3) have you ever lived in a gated subdivision? (4)have you ever lived on a street with a sidewalk? (5) have you ever lived somewhere where you commuted by foot (not counting a college campus)?

My answers to the additional questions would be (1) yes - Copenhagen, DC, NY, (2) yes - DC & NY, (3) No (4) Yes - Winston-Salem, Charlottesville, Copenhagen, DC & NY, (5) Yes - DC & NY

1. Have you ever lived in a CITY (not a metro area, a city) with over 350,000 people?

No

2. Have you ever lived in a metro area with established, 7-day a week rail transit? (Charlotte Trolley does not count)

Yes (4 blocks from the Collingswood station of the PATCO Line in Southern New Jersey)

No

4. Have you ever lived in a neighborhood where you regularly walked (more than once a week) to buy groceries?

Yes, mostly things like milk and bread, there was a bakery right around the block

5. Have you ever lived anywhere where you regularly used public buses to get around?

No

6. Have you ever lived in a mixed-use building? (i.e residential and office or residential and retail)

No

I'm curious. Answer as many of these as you wish. If the answer is yes, please elaborate.

*Yes, Charlotte.

*Yes, Malden, MA

*No.

*Yes, Malden, MA

*No.

*No.

Also, to answer these:

(1) have you ever lived in a mixed-income neighborhood?

Yes, Malden, MA

(2) have you ever lived in a neighborhood where more than a quarter of your neighbors were of a different race or ethnicity than you?

Yes, Malden, MA

(3) have you ever lived in a gated subdivision?

No.

(4)have you ever lived on a street with a sidewalk?

Yes, Waltham, MA, Malden , MA, Charlotte, NC.

(5) have you ever lived somewhere where you commuted by foot (not counting a college campus)?

No.

1. Yes: Toronto and Frankfurt Germany

2. Yes: Toronto and Frankfurt Germany

3. Well I am Canadian born and bred.

4. Yes in many places including the above

5. Yes

6. No: not sure if outside of New York if that is characteristic and common of most urban settings.

1. Yes. Washington, DC and St. Louis.

2. Yes. Washington, DC and St. Louis

3. No.

4. Yes. Washington, DC.

5. No.

6. Yes, in Winston-Salem (residential/restaurant/retail space available).

Perhaps, you should add a few more questions including, (1) have you ever lived in a mixed-income neighborhood? (2) have you ever lived in a neighborhood where more than a quarter of your neighbors were of a different race or ethnicity than you? (3) have you ever lived in a gated subdivision? (4)have you ever lived on a street with a sidewalk? (5) have you ever lived somewhere where you commuted by foot (not counting a college campus)?

(1) Yes, in St. Louis and Washington, DC.

(2) Yes. in St. Louis.

(3) No.

(4) Yes, in St. Louis, Washington, DC, Raleigh and Winston-Salem.

(5) Yes, in Winston-Salem (and sometimes in DC).

No

No

No.

No

Yes, Savannah Ga.

No.

Also, to answer these:

Yes, Greensboro, NC

(2) have you ever lived in a neighborhood where more than a quarter of your neighbors were of a different race or ethnicity than you?

Yes, Greensboro & Savannah

Gated apartment complex

No

(5) have you ever lived somewhere where you commuted by foot (not counting a college campus)? Yes, Savannah, Ga

Yea.....Charlotte.....& currently, Atlanta.

Yea.....Atlanta

No

Yea

Yea

Metropointe Lofts - Atlanta

Yes, I lived in downtown Chicago.

Yes, I lived in Chicago and regularly used the subway (more specifically the red line) and EL system.

No.

Yes. I lived on top of a Whole Foods in Chicago and within walking distance of a couple of markets.

Yes, I used public transit, including busses, regularly to get around the city.

Yes, as stated above I lived on top of a Whole Foods which also housed a couple of restaurants, Blockbuster Video and a sales center for another condo building.

1. Sort of, if you count living in a city while in college. (Charlotte)

2. No

3. No

4. No

5. No

6. No

Yes, there was section 8 housing in my old hood

Yes, in fact I have lived in a place where I was by far the minority (I am caucasian) which interestingly was a very suburban neighborhood

No and never want to.

Yes

(5) have you ever lived somewhere where you commuted by foot (not counting a college campus)?

No

1. Yes, San Francisco and Charlotte.

2. Yes, San Francisco again.

3. No.

4. No, but I probably could have in my neighborhood in SF if I'd been willing to shop at Whole Foods.

5. Yes, the big SF again.

6. No.

Perhaps, you should add a few more questions including, (1) have you ever lived in a mixed-income neighborhood? (2) have you ever lived in a neighborhood where more than a quarter of your neighbors were of a different race or ethnicity than you? (3) have you ever lived in a gated subdivision? (4)have you ever lived on a street with a sidewalk? (5) have you ever lived somewhere where you commuted by foot (not counting a college campus)?

1. Yes, South of Market in San Francisco, Elizabeth in Charlotte (when it still was).

2. Yes, in SF and in my current apartment in Charlotte.

3. No. Nor would I ever.

4. Yes, in SF and Charlotte.

5. Yes, in SF.

yes

no

no

i wish

no

no

no, unless uncg counts.

yes

yes

yes

no

Not really. I have always lived in small city large metros. My favorite is Greensboro..

2. Have you ever lived in a metro area with established, 7-day a week rail transit? (Charlotte Trolley does not count) Yes. East Orange NJ

Yes. Okinawa City, Okinawa-Naha, Okinawa

4. Have you ever lived in a neighborhood where you regularly walked (more than once a week) to buy groceries? Yes. Haymont Hills, Fayetteville NC

Yes. Haymont Hills, Fayetteville NC

6. Have you ever lived in a mixed-use building? (i.e residential and office or residential and retail) NO

Following up to the second set of questions someone added:

Yes- in Chapel Hill. I lived in an apartment building with 3 Hispanic families, one chinese family, two African-American families. Most of the complex was similar in its variation.

Yes- see above.

No, God no, never!

Many times, including presently.

Yes, in Italy and Chapel Hill.

Archived