Parking Garages

hood

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm curious as to what the "Mickey and Friends" structure at Disneyland in California would've looked like had it reached 12 stories. Quite visually obstructive, most likely.

The reason why I mention that particular parking ramp is because it is the largest in the United States. Here is a picture I found which shows how mammoth it is: http://albums.mouseplanet.com/DLEsplanadeT...ocessed/19b.jpg

Amazing. Simply amazing. I'd hate to be stuck in a long car line leaving Disneyland when everyone else is!

I found this reference:

CARTER+BURGESS PLAZA II - When the developers purchased the property for this project, an additional block was set aside for the construction of another office building. This block was located to the northeast of Carter+Burgess Plaza bounded by 5th, Calhoun, 6th, & Commerce Streets. Eventually, the 15 story Carter+Burgess Plaza Parking Garage was built on this site.

http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/proposed.htm

Actually, the largest single parking structure in the United States (and second largest in the world after the one at Pierson Airport in Toronto, I believe) is at Detroit's Metropolitan Airport with something like 11,500 spaces. They could be wrong, though.

And, the tallest in the world was the one at the Carew-Netherland complex in dowtown Cincy. It was demolished in the late 80's. It stood 342' tall and contained 27 floors. Here it is in the Carew-Netherland complex. It's the red building just left of the tallest in this photo:

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?...ttach=783;image

There is also an automated one still standing in Chicago, I believe, that is over 20 stories, as well. Most of them are historic. The Carew-Netherdland one was constructed in 1931.

And, the tallest in the world was the one at the Carew-Netherland complex in dowtown Cincy. It was demolished in the late 80's. It stood 342' tall and contained 27 floors. Here it is in the Carew-Netherland complex. It's the red building just left of the tallest in this photo:

27 floors.

wow.

That Detroit parking deck is huge too, they could probably put a landing strip on it.

Every time they demolish a place in downtown Richmond, it seems it becomes a parking lot or a garage. I wish we would just build a 30 story parking garage and just be done with it! It'd be the tallest thing we'd see.

27 floors... that must be a beotch to drive to the top!
The Carew Tower Garage (demolished in the 1980s) used elevators to move the cars to the upper levels, so there were no ramps to drive up to the top.

Also in downtown Cincinnati, the URS building at 36 E 7th Street has a garage that is 14 stories. There are 12 floors of offices above the garage.

The Marina Tower garages in Chicago go up pretty far, don't they?

Actually, the largest single parking structure in the United States (and second largest in the world after the one at Pierson Airport in Toronto, I believe) is at Detroit's Metropolitan Airport with something like 11,500 spaces. They could be wrong, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disneyland

Most of the resort's parking today is handled by the six-level "Mickey and Friends" parking garage. With six levels and 10,250 parking spaces, it is the largest parking structure in the world. Propane-powered trams bring visitors to the entrance plaza between the two parks. There are also some smaller, off-property lots with regular shuttle service to the parks, and most nearby hotels offer regular shuttle service as well.

I guess it depends on how you are counting. The Disneyland one has about 1000 less than Detroit's, but perhaps the square footage is greater.

Yeah, that can make a slight difference. But, I think the main problem simply comes from people claiming without looking up the claim. I can't tell you how many times I've heard different structures claim to be the biggest in the world. In this case, I think Disney's claim is the latter. Or maybe it was built earlier than the other's and just never shed the title?

The Jewlers Building (Emporis) in Chicago was originaly built with a parking ramp built in its center core. I read this first in a book a few months ago, but I see that Emporis also mentions the existance of the parking ramp. It was 22 stories tall (the entire height of the buildings base.) As, metioned it included a lift to transport the cars to the different floors. The ramp was removed when automobiles became too large to fir in the lift, and the space was convered to more office space.

The Jewlers Building (Emporis) in Chicago was originaly built with a parking ramp built in its center core. I read this first in a book a few months ago, but I see that Emporis also mentions the existance of the parking ramp. It was 22 stories tall (the entire height of the buildings base.) As, metioned it included a lift to transport the cars to the different floors. The ramp was removed when automobiles became too large to fir in the lift, and the space was convered to more office space.

What a cool building. Wacker Drive in Chicago is home to some of my favorites.

Archived