Mississippi Photo of the Day

tombarnes

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Shores of Paradise, Biloxi

shores-of-paradise.jpg

Image from Coastal Resorts Online

Paradise? Looks like Destin to me. I'd hoped for something better.

Wow, I completely missed that development. It looks like a nice building, but your right, it looks like something you'd see in Destin.

As Citydweller has suggested, the development of Biloxi into a zone of nothing but high-rise buildings may well ruin its special character. I do think the die has been cast for Biloxi, if not for the other towns of the Coast. As for high-rise vs. low-rise development, I think the two are not mutually exculsive. Careful planning and balancing density could produce vibrant cities across the region. I really think the character of each proposal must be weighed carefully before approval is granted. With planning aforethought, the Coast should emerge far better than before. Time will tell whether mere expedience and greed will trump god planning and design.

• 1 month later...

Here are a few pics of the late Eudora Welty's house that recently was opened as a museum. The famous Jackson author lived across the street from Belhaven College in the the great old Jackson neighborhood of the same name.

Miss Welty's father was vice president of the Lamar Life insurance compamy in charge of selecting the architect, the design, and the construction of the fantastic Lamar Life building that I love so much, downtown.

On a recent tour of the house and gardens, the tour guide pointed out construction debris from the L.L building that Mr. Welty had hauled in to use in the garden. The foundation of a club house his son built is granite from the LL bulding.

welty-stadium009.jpg

the front of the house.

welty-stadium003.jpg

back of the house and part of the garden

welty-stadium008.jpg

a building on the Belhaven campus across the street from the Welty house

Edited by spoody

Here are a few pics of the late Eudora Welty's house that recently was opened as a museum. The famous Jackson author lived across the street from Belhaven College in the the great old Jackson neighborhood of the same name.

Miss Welty's father was vice president of the Lamar Life insurance compamy in charge of selecting the architect, the design, and the construction of the fantastic Lamar Life building that I love so much, downtown.

On a recent tour of the house and gardens, the tour guide pointed out construction debris from the L.L building that Mr. Welty had hauled in to use in the garden. The foundation of a club house his son built is granite from the LL bulding.

welty-stadium009.jpg

the front of the house.

welty-stadium003.jpg

welty-stadium008.jpg

Wow, that's a gorgeous house. And the campus building ain't too bad either. :)

Looks like one of those charming 20s or 30s-era neighborhoods. I just love old neighborhoods like that.

I'd love to go see this when I am next in Jackson. I only got as far as the front steps. At least I got to speak with Miss Welty.....she came to the upstairs window and we talked for about 10 minutes. Then there was the time in New York when I had been at the lobby bar at the Algonquin. I picked up the house phone and asked for Miss Welty's room, knowing only that this was where she stayed when visiting New York. I was astonished when her voice came on the line. Again, we talked for a bit. The many martinis I'd consumed probably didn't help my conversation....

I'd love to go see this when I am next in Jackson. I only got as far as the front steps. At least I got to speak with Miss Welty.....she came to the upstairs window and we talked for about 10 minutes. Then there was the time in New York when I had been at the lobby bar at the Algonquin. I picked up the house phone and asked for Miss Welty's room, knowing only that this was where she stayed when visiting New York. I was astonished when her voice came on the line. Again, we talked for a bit. The many martinis I'd consumed probably didn't help my conversation....

Wow, tom, I can tell you have some stories! Must be cool to have met her while she was with us. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

welty-stadium009.jpg

the front of the house.

welty-stadium003.jpg

welty-stadium008.jpg

the old Jitney 14 is open and thriving. It is a locally owned McDade's market. The McDades have carefully kept the tradition alive. Brent's Drugs, also locally owned, is in the Parkins Drug location in the same Olde English Village.

If you ever get back to Jackson, stop by and check them out. Every Saturday morning, the Belhaven Market Place (local crafts and foodstuffs fair) is held in the parking lot and can be a lot of fun - lots of activities. That will start back up in the spring and go until Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

allright, here a few pics from saturday's 2007 Mal's St. Paddy's parade and it was a doozy this year. The biggest crowd ever, biggest I've ever seen by far. It was a great and glorious day for sure. only problem, my battery in my camera ran down so I didn't get but a few pictures and hardly any of the parade itself. Here we go:

a shot down S. Lamar St. - the convention center will be down that street - will get construction pics soon.

stoaddy2007012.jpg

I like this shot of the portico of the governors mansion and trustmark bank building in the background

stoaddy2007002.jpg

these cardinal gals for st. looey were looking good

stoaddy2007036.jpg

people gathered around children's activities early in the morning on N. State. There were once block of buildings in Jackson like those shown here that were torn down for "urban renewal" and to make room for parking lots. what a shame.

stoaddy2007024.jpg

people pouring over the Pearl St. overpass coming to the parade.

stoaddy2007032.jpg

here's Frank watching over things

stoaddy2007037.jpg

here's one that shows gaps left from old buidings torn down as mentioned above

stoaddy2007028.jpg

and finally, I wanted to include one from last summers saint/colts game at Memorial stadium that I thought was cool and forgot to post.

saints-colts022.jpg

Edited by spoody

• 3 months later...

Thanks Tom, I enjoyed Natchez. But it was a only brief stay with a brand-new baby staying at the grandparents. We arrived in the afternoon, spent the night, then left mid-day.

The B & B was very nice, however a bunch of young women staying there getting ready for a batchlorette party took complete control of the balcony most of the time. Loud, drinkin', smoking...they were nice and tried to be as cool as possible. Later in the evening my Wife was battling a bad headache as they came back from their party. The cig smoke was coming thru the cracks between the door :sick: And clanking an occasional beer bottle til 2:00-3:00 in the morning.

Needless to say we overslept the breakfast by being up too late; the lady felt so bad having no idea all those people were supposed to be in for a wedding. She said if we come back, we could have the night for "free", so that was nice. Only problem is, we have no idea when we will be back.

I will post the Natchez pics ASAP :thumbsup: The afternoon we were there was mostly overcast, so the pics aren't as bright as hoped for.

Edited by richyb83

• 5 months later...