The other side of the river (City Pulse)

RustTown

Here is a probably the most fair article I've seen on South Lansing. I agree with pretty much everything said, and I really hope that now that Dunbar can use here clout as the leader of the Southside to get some good things down that way. Even as a Northsider I realize that the south has been largely neglected over the years. I think they REALLY need to concentrate on building centers for the area. I really think that Holmes and MLK, for instance, could become a great suburban district. One thing is for sure, they are two different beast that have to develop in two different ways:

The other side of the river

It's home to more than 60 percent of Lansing's land and population; so what makes the south side the forgotten side of town?

CedarStreet.jpg

Thomas P. Morgan/City Pulse

South Cedar Street, shown here near its intersection with Holmes Road, is one of the main corridors running through Lansing's south side. The long stretch is considered by many to be one sprawling eyesore

Thomas P. Morgan/City Pulse

South Cedar Street, shown here near its intersection with Holmes Road, is one of the main corridors running through Lansing's south side. The long stretch is considered by many to be one sprawling eyesore.

According to the 2000 Census, people on the south side earn roughly as much per capita as those living north of the Grand and Red Cedar rivers, they reach about the same level of education, the racial makeup of the south side is about the same as the rest of town, and there

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The southside is essentially a suburb, it was set up as sprawl, so just like any other suburb it has not identity and no sense of community. But this article talks like the southside is so downtrodden and bad-off. It's simply not, despite it's shallowness the southside enjoys the highes incomes and lowest crime rates. The southside does, however, need attention, it can be easily and cheaply saved right now. The city cannot allow the southside to fall into the disrepair that the eastside, northside, and to a lesser extent, the westside are already in. The southside will fall to the same fate as these other areas if something is not done.

Did you read the article? They pretty much said that income wise and crime wise there is no difference between the two sides, and that the northside, in fact, has a slightly higher crime rate per capita.

I thought it was very fair. But, it is the retail corridors that look horrible. South Cedar looks like a block after block of wooden shacks on many parts of the corridor with little to know landscapping and very little up keep.

Archived