Midtown Detroit Highrise Collage

Exodus

Due to the Donovan biting the dust, and Forest Apartments following the same fate in April, I decided to leave those two out. If anyone knows of any other midtown highrises, please post it or them.

Due to "legal" reasons, I've decided to remove the pic until I can establish positive approvel from the website I borrowed some of them from to post it.

If anyone here has taken any of these pics, feel free to take credit.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LMich speaks the truth. Exodus, I love your collage a lot, and I really want to see more of them, but you really need to ask the people for permission you are getting them from. I know some people won't be that anal about it. But Emporis, which can barely keep their photos from ending up all over the net has exclusive property rights to them. There are some people/organizations, which go as far as to press charges for copyright infringement, I kid you not. I can only remember the horrible lengthy process I had to go through with U of M to get permission to post historical images of Detroit on UrbanPlanet and my own websites. In fact, Urbanplanet and my U of M website are the ONLY two websites where I'm allowed to post images from U of M. If my process of permission took that long, than it's obvious some people take it very seriously.

Coming from a person who absolutely loves photography, and takes pride in what I upload, it would upset me to see my photos posted on some other site with absolutely no credit. However, I wouldn't mind if people asked ahead of time, and mentioned in a thread that I took them.

Just be careful, it's only a word of caution.

Copyright & plagarism are increasingly important issues these days. People take these things very seriously. Most individuals probably won't sue you, but for profit companies definitely have no problem doing so. It is one of the reasons why we nolonger allow the posting of news articles on the forum [this has caused a great deal of trouble for a couple other forums out there - problems we at UrbanPlanet wish to avoid].

I know that my photos have gone into an awful lot of Detroit projects - especially at WSU, I'm told. As long as I am given credit, that's all I really care about. Most other people I know are the same way, although I do know a person who sued an individual for using a photo without his permission and won.

I didn't mean to come off like did above seeing as how I've been reamed for just that very thing here, before. But, I've always tried to give credit when I've posted other's photos providing their name (either real or screename if I could not find it), and a link to their photo and/or website. I've also stopped hosting emporis.com photos for many reasons, one of the main ones being, actually, because of the watermark. No ones wants to see a post with nothing put watermarked pictures. I've also never liked the idea of modifying photos that I've found, that seems to be going too far, IMO.

I guess the safest bet for posting entire photo tours that are not your own is to first ask for permission if given the opportunity, and if you can't, simply give credit to the person that took the picture or the website that the picture is on and hope for the best.

I didn't mean to come off like did above seeing as how I've been reamed for just that very thing here, before. But, I've always tried to give credit when I've posted other's photos providing their name (either real or screename if I could not find it), and a link to their photo and/or website. I've also stopped hosting emporis.com photos for many reasons, one of the main ones being, actually, because of the watermark. No ones wants to see a post with nothing put watermarked pictures. I've also never liked the idea of modifying photos that I've found, that seems to be going too far, IMO.

I guess the safest bet for posting entire photo tours that are not your own is to first ask for permission if given the opportunity, and if you can't, simply give credit to the person that took the picture or the website that the picture is on and hope for the best.

I know that some people are anal over pics, but #1. I am not making money from this, #2. I did say to anyone that has taken any of these pics to feel free to take credit(look at the bottom of the pic), #3. These pics are modified into a bitmap image, thus isn't so called "straining bandwith" from the site like I've heard someone complain about before. #4. They have watermarks on them like one of you mentioned, so who is going to make or loose money from watermarked pics ? #5.Whether I did or didn't ask the website before hand still dose not warrent assumption that I didn't, unless I overlooked something, which is why I did post what I posted under the pic. #6. It would be my ass in a so called legal sling, not any one elses to worry about, unless this would put this website in danger, which if it did just say so and delete the thread already. Other wise comment on the pic or not and leave it at that. When done like this, I really don't see the harm. Again, some people are too anal sometimes( people have but little in this world to worry about). I can understand if no credit was given, and someone was taking the pics for prophet, otherwise people need to get a life. I mean if someone wants to waste time and money over a bitmap image that no one is making money off of, and get blood from a turnip because no one on this side is making money from this, then yes, someone needs to get a real life and real problems. Only a jerk with that kind of luxery would pull something like that, must be nice to have no worrys and enough money to waste. :rolleyes: Way to tie up our court system :thumbsup:

So, how do ya like the collage ???

There's a simpler way of referencing someone else's photo - provide a link to the original Web page instead of embedding the image into this forum. You don't have to ask permission to do that and the photograph would be properly credited on the page.

The idea that copyright issues only matter when the violator makes money is very short sighted. Also the courts would only need to be involved only when the copyright is violated as you've done. If you took care, then there'd be no need. By violating the copyright, you're the one forcing the possibility that courts would be involved.

There's a simpler way of referencing someone else's photo - provide a link to the original Web page instead of embedding the image into this forum. You don't have to ask permission to do that and the photograph would be properly credited on the page.

The idea that copyright issues only matter when the violator makes money is very short sighted. Also the courts would only need to be involved only when the copyright is violated as you've done. If you took care, then there'd be no need. By violating the copyright, you're the one forcing the possibility that courts would be involved.

Again, it was a bitmap collage image I made, so their wouldn't be a link to the website for the particular image, and I did say that credit is open to anyone that took any of the pics. I'm not making stealing money, hurting bandwith, and I'm leaving credits open, no harm is really done. To get upset over such a thing and any court willing to tie up time and money is what is "short sighted". It all comes down to someone looking for an excuse to try and make more money off of someone, and crowing about..."Hey, I took that picture and it's mine al mine dammit, and aint it a great photograph ? Please, people need to calm down if no real harm is done and credit is left open and get over their selves. Reminds me of a child, That's my toy, and you can't play with it ! mommy ! punish billy, he touched my toy ! :rolleyes:

Well, yes there are people who are out there to make an extra buck. It is rather silly to some extent. I think more people are concerned about is their images being spread all over the internet without explicit reference.

It comes down to this:

If I take a good picture, and I'm proud of it, I want credit damnit!

The fact is Exodus, all you really had to do was post a link to Emporis, or at least say they were from Emporis. That way their source is traceable. That's all we are asking for.

Don't play like copyrights are not a serious thing... even if you believe they are wrong, they are still the law, and you can still get screwed in court.

But I do see reason in your argument. I do believe that information should be transmitted somewhat more freely about the internet for the basis of expanding knowledge, without people griping about keeping images strictly to their webpage. But crediting is a whole different issue. You have to credit your sources, it's their work. They were nice enough to post it on the net in the first place.

But go ahead and continue with collages and photosets. They are great. You can still make them, just tell who took the image and provide a link.

Archived