It's coming, are YOU exicted?

wolverine

Well, this thread shall be dedicated to your thoughts about being downtown during the Superbowl.

I can tell you that I am looking forward to the excitement! We will see Detroit in a way we've never seen it before, with all the reopened storefronts and pedestrian traffic, coupled with Winterfest and other downtown events.

I can't imagine how many people will be downtown. There are so many people from U of M that are heading to the D, the day before the game. I know I'm going with a group of 20 of my friends to enjoy the activities. Hopefully we will find space at a restaurant.

Just in case, I'm getting my Pizzapapalis fix this Thursday, or shall I say, today.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be somewhere in the greater downtown area on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

It is hard to believe that the big game is only days away. For the longest time it seemed like it was months and months off. I was contacted a few weeks ago about doing tours for Preservation Wayne during the festivities, and I was like "wow, is it really only one month away?" Meanwhile, the weeks have flown by.

Btw, for those who are interested, PW will be running abbreviated tours of downtown Detroit on Friday & Saturday (the 3rd & 4th) at 10:30 & 1:30, begining in the Dime Building Lobby. Although there are only four tours scheduled, more will be added as demand dictates.

Your right, Zissou. It was an error in the initial email I received about the tours. I've edited the post so that nobody gets confused.

The tours will last 90 minutes. They begin at the Dime & end at the Guardian. I will know more specifics after Saturday.

I will be working with my Detroit STAR program through a variety of events downtown over the next week. I'm excited to be able to showcase the city to out of towners!!

Allan, is there a cost to the tour? I've told a couple people about them, and they seem quite interested.

There will be a cost associated with the tour (probably $10). I'll let everyone know as soon as I find out. The Greater Downtown Partnership is handling all the registration & check in stuff this time, so it will be slightly different than a regular PW tour.

I have not seen a bus map for the events. Is it hidden on a website or anything? I'll be staying at my place near 7 mile, and dont want to deal with the hastle of traffic and parking. Will the routes continue as normal but be diverted once their downtown? ah, I'm so confused!! :unsure:

There will be 24 hour park & ride bus service from 6 locations:

Wayne State University's parking areas near the Lodge Freeway and I-94 in Detroit

Northland Center in Southfield

The Detroit Zoo in Royal Oak

Fairlane Town Center in Dearborn

Macomb Mall in Roseville

Detroit City Airport

Parking is $10 at WSU & the zoo, & free everywhere else. Fare is $2 each way per person. Taking the bus is highly recommended, since parking is going to suck.

There will be 24 hour park & ride bus service from 6 locations:

Wayne State University's parking areas near the Lodge Freeway and I-94 in Detroit

Northland Center in Southfield

The Detroit Zoo in Royal Oak

Fairlane Town Center in Dearborn

Macomb Mall in Roseville

Detroit City Airport

Parking is $10 at WSU & the zoo, & free everywhere else. Fare is $2 each way per person. Taking the bus is highly recommended, since parking is going to suck.

Allan, do you the hours the shuttles will run?

The buses will run every 15-20 minutes, with limited runs after 3:00am. They will drop off at the Fort/Cass intersection.

Also of note, the train to nowhere will have extended hours January 29th through February 5th. It will run 7:00am to 3:00am on weekdays and 9:00am to 3:00am on weekends.

All you out towners are crowding me out of my own neighborhood bars. Stay away!!! :angry:

...just kidding, of course. But I must say I'm a little annoyed that I won't even be able to get in to the bars that I go to when I'm one of only a handful of people sitting at the bar on any given random week day night keeping them in business throughout the year. Where's the loyalty to those who don't just show up for the big events?

Minor annoyance aside, I'm looking forward to it.

I will be working with my Detroit STAR program through a variety of events downtown over the next week. I'm excited to be able to showcase the city to out of towners!!

Allan, is there a cost to the tour? I've told a couple people about them, and they seem quite interested.

Ok, here are the specifics on the tours....

There are officially two tours scheduled on both Friday & Saturday (10:30am & 1:30pm both days). There are 25 spots on each tour; only 5 are reserved for walk-ins. Tours are free, and will last approximately 90 minutes. They will cover the Dime, Penobscot, Buhl, & Guardian Building in depth. I believe that advanced registration is nearly full, if it is not already. To register, call 313-961-1403 ASAP.

Unofficially, tours will be running from 10:30am onward on both Friday & Saturday as demanded. Unfortunately, we expect that people will have to be turned away. As a guide, I really would love to give a tour to each and every person who wants to go on a tour.

Tours meet in the Dime Building lobby, 719 Griswold Street. The Detroit Downtown Partnership will handle the check-in for the 20 people who have registered for the tour in advance. The 5 lucky walk-ins will have their name added to the list on a first come, first serve basis. Those participating in the tour should plan to arrive in advance, since the tours leave promptly at 10:30 or 1:30, whatever the case may be.

Pamphlets with additional info on the tours are available downtown at many locations. 75,000 pamphlets were printed, and only a couple hundred will be able to go on a tour, so there are plenty of extras lying around. I know the Buhl & Guardian Buildings have a bunch of them.

There are other tour options, but I cannot publically endorse them, so you'll have to PM for details. :)

Will there be any good national tv shows that will be showing what's going around on the streets during the event? I'm in Grand Rapids right now so I can't watch any of Detroits local stuff.

Jimmy Kimmel is doing his show from here this week.

Archived