Tri-Cities Photo of the Day

wolverine

I feel I should represent my native land much better, so I have now created a photo of the day thread for Saginaw, Bay City, Midland, and everything in between, or shall I say, anything within those counties. I have a fair amount of photos from the area despite only getting back to the Tri-Cities during the summer. Hopefully, I'll squeeze in some more photo shoots of these cities before I move off to Baltimore for three and a half months this summer.

So, I will try to manage both the Ann Arbor photo of the day thread and this one!

tcpod001.jpg

A shot of Bay City from across the Saginaw River.

21577214_cd8772565e_b.jpg

Washington Ave in downtown Saginaw.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, do you know the name of that condo building on Bay City's riverfront? Is it a totally new construction, or a recladding and renovation? I'd guess the latter. If you know any more about it's history that would be great.

Seriously, it seems like the state treats the tri-cities as if they were in the UP at times. But then again, they are really out of the way on any travel route. I wish they'd get more good press, though. They really can't be that bad.

I wonder how many Washington Avenues there are in Michigan. lol Downtown Lansing's mainstreet is Washington Avenue, though Referred to as Washington Square in the immediate downtown area even though it's far from a square.

Edited by Lmichigan

It's a renovation with two floors added to the top. It's called Water Street Lofts I think, or something of that nature. It used to be some sort of hardware company with a lot of storage. It was your typical Kahn style warehouse building.. reinforced oncrete structure with brick infill and glass factory windows.

• 3 weeks later...

LOL, sorry I've been busy lately. Don't worry, more Bay City photos are to come.

Today's P.O.D is of the Zilwaukee Bridge

The Zilwaukee Bridge is a mile and a half, 8 lane span the carries I-75/US-23 over the Saginaw river. The bridge rises 125 feet in height to allow clearance for large shipping vessels. Construction was begun in 1979 to replace a traffic clogged drawbridge which would back up freeway traffic for miles. However, the bridge didn't open for 9 years after a construction accident. The segmented box concrete design, held together by high-tensioned cables was debatable construction at the time, specifically because of difficulties with construction. In August of 1982, compression blocks keeping the expansion joints seperated crushed under pressure, and a large 150 foot section was thrown out of alignment. The forces from the shift crushed one of the support piers causing the deck to break apart and slant downward. Construction was stopped, so that several engineering studies could be done. More problems with the structure were discovered as sections were slightly sinking out of place. However, demolition of the bridge would have amounted in considerable costs and it was decided the bridge would be completed. A few later, construction resumed and the bridge was opened late 1987. Although the bridge continues to experience problems today, they are minor and do not effect its structural integrity.

30789737_99e7e2a245_b.jpg

30725408_b1bb6d5209_b.jpg

Photo of construction

zilwaukee.jpg

Edited by wolverine

Thanks, as if I don't have enough trouble driving over bridges. :sick: I do remember construction on the bridge when I was little, well from the time I was 3 until 11, god thats a long time to build a bridge. I usually have to hit it at about 90 mph and get over as fast as I can. I hate bridges, can you tell?

There's alot of people that seem to have just a general fear of the Zilwaukee Bridge. Really, not so much if it will collapse or not, but whether they'll drive off of it in icy weather, or lose control in high winds.

I just hate how the surface dips in certain areas. So much for groundbreaking engineering.

• 4 weeks later...

These next two mean a lot to me. Andre and Court! MY OLD HOOD!

Actually, the retail strip pictured in the second photo is about a block E. on Woodbridge. There's another retail strip up the road at Bay, which is slightly larger. I remember buying some music at the store below.

hood1.jpg

hood2.jpg

The area is a bit rougher than it used to be, but is still holding on. The worst I've heard lately was a hip-hop club nearby got shot up two months ago.

These days? Saginaw, Flint, and Detroit have all had too high levels urban warfare (as I and many other's call it) for years now. The United States has been a violent nation from its inception, mix that with race, class, and poverty and you create an excellent breeding ground for this type or urban warefare.

Man, Saginaw has such potential. In that second photo I can see a small theater still in operation. There is not one historic theater still in operation in Lansing. BTW, does anyone know what population Saginaw peaked at? From books I've read, Saginaw was actually a major Michigan city with a lot of influence for quite some time. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was marginally larger than Lansing in 1910 from and old book I have.

Edited by Lmichigan

that theater is cool, i love theaters with marquees(i think thats what there called?)

and Lmich, i think Flint and Detroit's crime rates have gone down recently, it seems like all i hear on the news about Saginaw is someone gettin shot :( , hopefully it gets better soon, Saginaw seems like it could be a pretty cool city

There is a difference. The gun crimes that occur in Saginaw are far more senseless then other cities. You always here a reason behind shootings in Flint and Detroit like drugs, or a dispute. In Saginaw (nearly in all cases East Side) it's always an innocent person getting capped. It's the reason why some people avoid the East side in all entirety because there is always shots ringing out. It's a shame that one side of the city has fallen so far into decline whle the other side has maintained itself and is undergoing renaissance. Is it because the West Side is closer to the suburbs meaning more opportunity? Better Schools? The fact that Saginaw has two downtowns? No clue.

Edited by wolverine

nice shot

and southernyank,i dont see anypeople in that shot. and only 2 cars :unsure:

Well actually, there was a ton of cars, and only a few people. They must have all been inside the businesses or something. The cars he's referring to are the long line of them parked at the right side of the photo.

Wolverine, i saw this picture in your Flickr, and thought it was cool, so i hope you dont mind that im going to post it

114995721_4b09b69124.jpg

it is some warehouses in Saginaw

and Wolverine, do you frequent the Flint area?, you look VERY familiar

Edited by dtown