Tri-Cities Photo of the Day

wolverine

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
LOL, sorry I've been busy lately. Don't worry, more Bay City photos are to come.

Today's P.O.D is of the Zilwaukee Bridge

The Zilwaukee Bridge is a mile and a half, 8 lane span the carries I-75/US-23 over the Saginaw river. The bridge rises 125 feet in height to allow clearance for large shipping vessels. Construction was begun in 1979 to replace a traffic clogged drawbridge which would back up freeway traffic for miles. However, the bridge didn't open for 9 years after a construction accident. The segmented box concrete design, held together by high-tensioned cables was debatable construction at the time, specifically because of difficulties with construction. In August of 1982, compression blocks keeping the expansion joints seperated crushed under pressure, and a large 150 foot section was thrown out of alignment. The forces from the shift crushed one of the support piers causing the deck to break apart and slant downward. Construction was stopped, so that several engineering studies could be done. More problems with the structure were discovered as sections were slightly sinking out of place. However, demolition of the bridge would have amounted in considerable costs and it was decided the bridge would be completed. A few later, construction resumed and the bridge was opened late 1987. Although the bridge continues to experience problems today, they are minor and do not effect its structural integrity.

30789737_99e7e2a245_b.jpg

30725408_b1bb6d5209_b.jpg

Photo of construction

zilwaukee.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wolverine, I missed some of your posts back around page 4 and 5 about the Jefferson one building (hence the question if you worked for wiggy and tiggy) We share a lot of commonalities, I too ventured up on that roof many times to take in the views and take pictures. I led a campagain to get the flag pole fixed and fitted with a large flag because it would have been seen for miles. The owners fiddeled with it for a while but never gave the okay to do it. I also am an 'amature' historian of Saginaw and love to talk about the old buildings that are now parking lots. If I had mega $$$ I'd buy the Berringer building, saginaw center, and the hotel and make a huge convention complex to go along with the Dow. Have you ever been in Jake's on court st.? I helped the owner with the design and my father was the contractor, that building has a lot of history to it and a lot of potential for the rest of the block (going toward the river). Also, I see the former moose is up for sale, that would make a great condo project I think.

Here's a few pics I took from the top of Jefferson one, and a few from the 6th floor small conference room.

The former Jacobson's prior to the top floor of the parking ramp being removed.

DSC00299.jpg

Church Steeple, I forget the name of the church, but I have a map of Saginaw from 1885 that shows this as "Congregational Church" and there is a sketch of the building to the side of the map that looks exactally like the building that's there now (minus the modernizations of course).

DSC00300.jpg

Castle Museum - I love how the eagle is "standing watch" over the flag

DSC00206.jpg

Castle Museum - Closeup of the Turret roof

DSC00207.jpg

Edited by DiamondDave