Tri-Cities Photo of the Day

wolverine

didnt there used to be a messed up little fake building there?

Yeah like most of the vacant storefronts they put up false facades on them in the late 80's early 90's. I think in this case they should have left it. They removed it when they did the sidewalks because they had to reinforce something to allow them to pour the concrete.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saginaw County Courthouse

saginawcountycourthouse.jpg

The original building was amazing :cry:

I like the clock tower and the landscaping, but yeah...I thought the courthouse was a parking garage when I first glanced at it. :wacko: It still looks better than our city hall.

• 3 weeks later...

The new Frankenmuth Riverplace Mall

28945568_83833e1ec3_b.jpg

That's a nice-looking place. For some reason I get the "Disney" feeling with that place even though it's very walkable and has a lot of nice, unique shops. I'll probably give Frankenmuth a visit later on this month.

Yeah it is pretty disneyesque. Everything down to the landscaping is so perfect. There's a photo between two of the stores that has an image of the city in Germany it was modeled after. Surprisingly, it looks exactly like it. Although, I think the archway in this photo had a bit more potential:

158321717_41fe2a9a7b_b.jpg

The basements of the old brewery are apparently still in tact beneat the mall. I'm curious as to what they look like.

Here's a photo I think from the late 1800's, prior to getting taller buildings since I don't even see the one I work in. You can see where Genesee Street diverges prior to when the downtown street system was reworked. All of the building shown in this photo except for the imediate one on the left, and probably two on the right are gone. This business district was entirely leveled. Granted, a couple were replaced in the 1920's, but are abandoned right now.

Larger%20GeneseeAve.jpg

Here's a later photo of the location shown in my photos, and as you can see all buildings here are gone

gen.jpg

And there's places in downtown Saginaw, I just can't recognize. For example, there's no way for me to tell where this hotel that burned down was, because the buildings next to it were demoed

http://www.saginawimages.org/images.asp?It...&SearchTerm=171

Here's an old photo of Jeffers park, this is so depressing

http://www.saginawimages.org/images.asp?it...&SearchTerm=207

Here's a photo of businesses along Court street. The row of buildings to the right have all burned down in the past 10 years

http://www.saginawimages.org/images.asp?it...&SearchTerm=223

That's correct. The triangle shaped building and that tall one used to be on the triangular grassy area. The parking lot was a road. Now they've completely redone the road grid. A lot of these buildings didn't disappear too long ago. I remember being downtown and seeing some of the structures best during the Gusmacker Basketball tournament. That cool corner building in the old photo wasn't there, but the tall one...Feiges furniture was. It was imploded. The street grids were then modified in the late 90's. Things actually disappeared quickly during the 80's. At that time, there was little interest in rehabilitation of old buildings into lofts and stuff, so a lot were demolished for urban renewal projects. The sad thing is, some buildings didn't even need to be demolished. Downtown Saginaw once had 5 department stores up until the late 70's when they moved to the suburbs. Immediately after they left, they were all torn down except for the Jacobson's store which closed when the chain went out in 2001(?) That building sits across from where I work now and I believe is supposed to be turned into an office building.

that tall one actually looks pretty tall, for Saginaw anyway. Was that once the tallest in the city?

imagine if they had kept all those buildings there, not to mention the streetcars....wow, just ..wow.

Edited by dtown

Well, I've been working about 80 hours a week now to get this project done I'm working on. The good thing is I am compensated very well, but I don't get much time to drive around the tri-cities to take photos. For the next week or two you'll be stuck with more places surrounding where I work, or photos taken from the roof :P

So here's another of the beautiful Castle Museum:

168404205_1040dd44ab_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...