A tower has got to go!

krazeeboi

If you could get rid of one tower in downtown Columbia (to be replaced by something bigger and better, of course), which would it be?

For me, I think I'd have to choose two: Jefferson Square and 1401 Main. Jefferson Square offers nothing from afar or at street level. 1401 Main does add color to the skyline (even if it is a cube), but it's hideous at street level.

What are your choices?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of those small box buildings infront of the Wachovia...Those are the ugliest things I've ever seen ( Think the purplish one)...have you seen one close up? It has curtains!! How do you have house curtains in a tower.... Ewwww...

Southtrust is the tallest in SC but it's nothing special...Really...Like somebody said here, I can see future generations demolishing that to put something else there

One of those small box buildings infront of the Wachovia...Those are the ugliest things I've ever seen ( Think the purplish one)...have you seen one close up? It has curtains!! How do you have house curtains in a tower.... Ewwww...

Southtrust is the tallest in SC but it's nothing special...Really...Like somebody said here, I can see future generations demolishing that to put something else there

If something definetly had to go it would be that purple looking building. It's so short and it doesn't leave any impression on the eye. Another thing i would say have to go are those above ground level garages. I feel above ground garages take up more space than anything.

My pick is the NBSC (I think) building. It is the hideous white stone and glass building, about eight stories high, at the corner of Main and Lady (or maybe Main and Washington). It is a really shoddy design and construction, and doesn't deserve a spot in our city's landscape.

Even though I'm sure it was the "coolest idea ever" when it was built, I would have to way the Washington (Mutual)? building across from the Barringer building. I'm sure it was all the rave when it was built, but I don't feel that the city was thinking "long term" on that one.

I heard that it was suppossed to resemble a microchip or a keycard. Interesting concept but certainly not my style.

For me, it would be the building at Lady and Main. I remember when I was a kid, I believe it was in the 60's, they proposed a 31 story building for that site. It was a pretty boxy design, similar to what was built. I was so disappointed that the taller structure was never built.

Hey y'all. I've read this forum for quite a while, but this is my first post. I love my city, so thought it's about time I start contributing to the discussion. :)

As for this current topic...some of y'all mentioned the 1401 Main building. There is going to be lots of empty space in that building in the next few years, along with the Palmetto Center (Wachovia Building). Scana will be moving out of downtown Columbia to a "campus" in Cayce/West Columbia. Actually the first few buildings of the campus are already completed and occupied. Scana's lease on the Palmetto Center is up in a few years, and the decision has been made to move out of downtown. So I suppose it's possible that the 1401 Main building could come down. There are a few other businesses in there, but most of it is Scana. This also makes you wonder what's going to happen to the Palmetto Center. It's a big building that will have about 15 floors of empty office space. I sure hope they can find replacement tenants.

Jefferson Square. No question about it. It offers nothing to the skyline, the street, or to the eye in gerenal. Its quite literally a monstrocity.

Another option would be the Veterans' affairs buliding on Assembly. Its not very attractive at all to be as prominant as it is.

I definitely vote for razing the old MCI bldg. :sick: I've been hoping for this for a while. I'd rather the view be opened up so that we could see the two oldest "skyscrapers" on Main much better. If this building were gone, the view would be even more awesome from Finlay! Of course, they could always build a nice, tall, slender highrise in it's place! :)

Hey y'all. I've read this forum for quite a while, but this is my first post. I love my city, so thought it's about time I start contributing to the discussion. :)

As for this current topic...some of y'all mentioned the 1401 Main building. There is going to be lots of empty space in that building in the next few years, along with the Palmetto Center (Wachovia Building). Scana will be moving out of downtown Columbia to a "campus" in Cayce/West Columbia. Actually the first few buildings of the campus are already completed and occupied. Scana's lease on the Palmetto Center is up in a few years, and the decision has been made to move out of downtown. So I suppose it's possible that the 1401 Main building could come down. There are a few other businesses in there, but most of it is Scana. This also makes you wonder what's going to happen to the Palmetto Center. It's a big building that will have about 15 floors of empty office space. I sure hope they can find replacement tenants.

I have not heard of any firm plans for SCANA to move out of downtown. A few years ago I wrote to and got a reply from the president/CEO/top guy with SCANA and he said they were committed to downtown and that they had no plans to leave.

I actually work for Scana, and was at a recent retreat. One of the officers joined us for a Q&A and this question came up. We were told that it was ALMOST a done deal that Scana would be moving out of downtown. Like all of you, I HOPE that doesn't happen. I love working downtown. But from everything we've heard, it IS going to happen.

I e-mailed SCANA saying that I am profoundly disappointed to hear that they may be leaving downtown. I would very much like to move back there because it has the potential to be a very vibrant, unique urban center. The largest corporation in the city abandoning its DT would be a real negative for someone like myself who would like to move there and be a part of an exciting, rapidly growing and maturing urban environment. How can a city develop a vital, urban core with lots of restaurants, shops, galleries, residents, etc., when its major business leaders do not fully participate? Will it make any difference for SCANA to hear from the people who do not want them to leave? Will it make any difference for the city to hear as well? Does the city have any policies that would discourage SCANA from leaving DT -- or any incentives to keep them there?

Does the city have any policies that would discourage SCANA from leaving DT -- or any incentives to keep them there?

The city should rush a new law causing a penalty on any large corporation abandoning the city center. It's a shame that SCANA would even consider leaving Downtown. Aren't they currently located in Palmetto Center? I know if they need more space, the city council shouldn't have any problem giving them a tax break to keep them Downtown especially since they will probably need to build Tall.

OK everyone, I don't know if it will do any good, but we all need to write SCANA and discourage them from moving out of downtown. The growth of Columbia directly impacts their bottom line so it would directly help them if the city continues to grow. If they move they are being an irresponsible corporate citizen.

Archived