The Rumor Mill

btoy

I suggest this for a pegged thread. I know we have been using the developments thread, but I was thinking we need a thread dedicated to rumors that may have little support. And we can use the developments for projects that have been announced.

My first rumor is...

I heard recently that this site has sold or will have sold soon for possible redevelopment.

sunheating.jpg

Awesome Idea!

Last fall I heard from a realiable person that someone they knew was looking to build condos in the West End. Something past the baseball stadium. They would be something like 4 stories and someone would live in the bottom two floors and then someone else would have the top two or you could purchase all four floors. It was a neat idea though, they wanted to build the shell of the building and then the buyer would be incharge of creating the inside space for their own liking-- the layout and whatnot and finish it. Anyway, all of the units were sold if he decided to follow through with the project... But this was just his thinking. I want to say that he owned the land or could get it if he needed to... Anyway, I'm not sure what was decided-- whether to pursue this or not-- but it could be in the works i assume... :) If this doesn't happen, then hopefully the people who commited to this project will buy elsewhere in downtown and help some more of these developments get off the ground...

Edited by GvilleSC

I heard the other day that some people we in talks to put a House of Blues affiliated venue somewhere on the West End. The venue would not really be H.O.B but a slightly smaller venue. I think this would be good venue for getting some solid, raht r big name shows but would be some serious competition for The Handlebar.

A House of Blues (or similar venue) would be awesome!

The Blcok of buildings and lots between River and Sun Heating has been for sale for a while now, it would be great to see something that included all of that property.

I assumed the signs left at Shealy Electric were left behind from when they rezoned the West End to CBD. When they did that those signs were on every parcel in that area.

The Blcok of buildings and lots between River and Sun Heating has been for sale for a while now, it would be great to see something that included all of that property.

It would be most excellent if that were to happen! :thumbsup: Perhaps another 4-8 story low-rise residential development or something mixed-use? I could see that area tied into RiverPlace very easily, too.

Now, if that triangle of properties bordered by River Street, Camperdown Way, and Rhett Street was to be developed, too...wow. Can you imagine?

My rumor...

The guys that owned Algorithm before it closed are considering opening another establishment in Greenville. I am not sure if it would be downtown, or if it would be like Algorithm, but if so it would certainly be cool.

For those of you who don't know about Algorithm, it was located in the back of Ragan's Market (which was next to Subway on Main Street). It was a speakeasy-type bar, in that you had to know to ask if the bar were open (they did no advertising for the Algorithm portion, and you wouldn't know it was there unless someone told you). It was a very chill place, and a great atmosphere. I believe it was featured on a show on Turner South once as well.

Edited by Greenville

It would be most excellent if that were to happen! :thumbsup: Perhaps another 4-8 story low-rise residential development or something mixed-use? I could see that area tied into RiverPlace very easily, too.

Now, if that triangle of properties bordered by River Street, Camperdown Way, and Rhett Street was to be developed, too...wow. Can you imagine?

That is my dream parcel, if I could develope any site downtown that would be it.

I keep hearing rumors about a Greenridge style, upscale village development, going up in Simpsonville. I've been hearing it will be on all the open land at the Harrison Bridge and 385 interchange (which is currently being rebuilt).

Makes sense. High visibility. Fast growing area. Upper middle to upper income demographics.

Is this the W. Georgia Road interchange being reconstructed?

btoy, this is one of the BEST properties in the city, and will likely become something magnificent (if other developers see the same potential as we do). I would love to see Rhett Street turned into a shopping and gallery district as well, with a unique streetscape design.

• 2 weeks later...

Yestreday I heard from a very reliable source that COSTCO had an option on the back poriton of the HomeGold site on Pelham Rd. where the Drugstores and other things are going but that they let it expire.

Also heard that at one time Ruth's Chris at Riverplace was almost a done deal, but no longer. Also heard they looked at The Point and I think maybe the HomeGold site.

I had heard Costco was interested in Greenville, but didn't know exactly where they were looking. I wonder if they have given up on us? Also, why did they abandon the Pelham Road spot? Perhaps to try the Greenville Mall site? I could envision Bass Pro Shop and Costco on that location. :shades:

So Ruth's Chris is not going in at RiverPlace or The Point?

I had heard Costco was interested in Greenville, but didn't know exactly where they were looking. I wonder if they have given up on us? Also, why did they abandon the Pelham Road spot? Perhaps to try the Greenville Mall site? I could envision Bass Pro Shop and Costco on that location. :shades:

So Ruth's Chris is not going in at RiverPlace or The Point?

I am guessing those two will be the major announcements for the Greenville Mall site, but also, don't forget the large development in the works for Pelham between Garlington and 85.

As with Ruth's Chris that what I have heard, but I suppose they could still be looking and they may always come back to a site they have passed over.

Is the HomeGold site on Pelham the one that was recently cleared of the big abandoned building? It's on the same side of the road as the Bi-Lo and Ruby Tuesday, yes?

Ruth's Chris would be a great fit at RiverPlace. I can certainly see places like Ruth's Chris, Cheesecake Factory, and The Grape being excellent there!

I hope Costco doesn't give up on Greenville.