The Rumor Mill

btoy

Heard this evening that an additional building may be in Fluors future. With their growth, they have had to lease space off their campus across 385 in Patewood. In the last few quarters they have leased over 200,000 additional square feet to meet their needs. Rumblings are going on of a new building on the corporate campus. Anyone else heard this?

Heard this evening that an additional building may be in Fluors future. With their growth, they have had to lease space off their campus across 385 in Patewood. In the last few quarters they have leased over 200,000 additional square feet to meet their needs. Rumblings are going on of a new building on the corporate campus. Anyone else heard this?

I have not heard anything about this, but it makes sense given their recent hirings and growth. Think they have any interest in building a nice highrise downtown? ;)

I have not heard anything about this, but it makes sense given their recent hirings and growth. Think they have any interest in building a nice highrise downtown? ;)

With their proximity to Haywood Mall and now Verdae, it seems like they could make a huge profit on their land. Wishful thinking I'm sure, but it would be nice to have a large mixed use development on their land and have their presence downtown... Either way, It will be great to have Fluor feeding more money into Greenville's economy.

Seems like the Daniel building would be too small. They'd bring a LOT of people to the day time population of downtown that's for sure... Oh how I wish...

If we are wishing - Academy St. would be a great location. There is that big block off Washington St. that is being considered for the Federal Courthouse. It would be great with a major development. Either a really tall one surrounded by a mixed use development or several medium size buildings around an open core.

Or just down the street at Riverplace. This would kickstart the final phase there big time. Academy St. could handle a little more traffic. And the employees would probably like the proximity to the river parks.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I saw the talk about it in the "what would you destroy" thread. I know that a few months ago someone was looking to redevelop the old hotel on the corner of Church Street and Augusta Street. Very preliminary stuff. It's been at least 4 months because it was before I left for Italy. So, what's happening now, I don't know. Furthermore, I don't know if their wishes were to demolish the building or simply refurbish it, but hopefully either way it will happen.

Some interesting automotive news/rumor/speculation I just heard from an industry insider:

Apparently BMW is looking at the possibility of greatly expanding the Upstate operation and adding the ability to manufacture engines and transmissions. These are currently shipped in and added to the vehicles during assembly. Apparently this has been being mulled over by BMW for several months, and the continuing weakness of the dollar against the Euro is making it even more attractive.

Also, due to the weakness of the dollar, two additional European car companies have eyes on the South and Upstate for manufacturing (in addition to VW). Though the person didn't say the exact companies, I believe one may be Renault, as they look for a major return to the US market.

Some interesting automotive news/rumor/speculation I just heard from an industry insider:

Apparently BMW is looking at the possibility of greatly expanding the Upstate operation and adding the ability to manufacture engines and transmissions. These are currently shipped in and added to the vehicles during assembly. Apparently this has been being mulled over by BMW for several months, and the continuing weakness of the dollar against the Euro is making it even more attractive.

Also, due to the weakness of the dollar, two additional European car companies have eyes on the South and Upstate for manufacturing (in addition to VW). Though the person didn't say the exact companies, I believe one may be Renault, as they look for a major return to the US market.

Wow, so we have the potential of landing tons of additional automotive jobs with BMW additions, Audi/VW, and another European car company? That would be amazing. How long will it be until every major car company wants to have a presence in Greenville in order to have access to the amazing combination of research, talent, and business climate found only here? ;)

Wow, so we have the potential of landing tons of additional automotive jobs with BMW additions, Audi/VW, and another European car company? That would be amazing. How long will it be until every major car company wants to have a presence in Greenville in order to have access to the amazing combination of research, talent, and business climate found only here? ;)

I just did an internet search for Renault, and this article seems to support what I heard. Look at some of the companies considering the US.......Alfa Romeo, among others. How sweet that would be to have Alfa Romeo....but I'm doubtful on that one. :lol:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/11/business...&ei=5087%0A

• 3 weeks later...

CONFIRMED: Audi/Volkswagen IS coming to the area!

Okay, so I touched base one more time with my sources yesterday and ironically one of them had just spoken to a contact of their own who works for Audi/Volkswagen in Detroit and had been told (again) that Audi/Volkswagen was definitely building a new manufacturing facility in the Upstate area...with an official announcement coming soon.

From what I learned, the location will be in Anderson County somewhere near Hwy. 86 (I am not all too familiar with the Anderson County area so does that highway # sound correct?) on an estimated 700 acres of land. Fortunately for our area this spot was selected for the facility by narrowly beating out a site just over the state line in neighboring Georgia. Woo hoo!

My source tells me that this was the original site that BMW wanted to build on but did not? I wasn't around the area when BMW was looking for locations years ago so I don't know if that is true or not? Anyone know more about that tidbit?

SO, yippie we landed yet another huge company in the area. My source said that with Audi/Volkswagen looking to revamp their Audi line to better compete on the luxury car level, in addition to this area already having BMW (with it's established foundation of suppliers, roadways, etc. in place already to build off of) as well as being so close to the Mercedes plant in Alabama, and lastly with the current value of the euro compared to the dollar being such a deal that now is the time to move forward with their long-desired US plant. (Supposedly I learned, they were wanting to come to this area about 3 years ago but pulled out since the timing wasn't right?)

One more thing...from what I hear high-level associates at BMW are already submitting their resumes to Audi/Volkswagen!

Looks like Audi/VW is closer to a decision and looks like the spot between Greenville and Anderson is leading the way. :thumbsup: Several articles:

http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds...afx4524911.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsume...225731620080112

http://www.thestate.com/local/story/283376.html

Looks like Audi/VW is closer to a decision and looks like the spot between Greenville and Anderson is leading the way. :thumbsup: Several articles:

http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds...afx4524911.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsume...225731620080112

http://www.thestate.com/local/story/283376.html

That article in The State says that it is in Anderson, and later mentions that Anderson is 30 miles from Greenville. But the actual site is barely in Anderson County, no more than 15 minutes or so from downtown Greenville - correct?

That article in The State says that it is in Anderson, and later mentions that Anderson is 30 miles from Greenville. But the actual site is barely in Anderson County, no more than 15 minutes or so from downtown Greenville - correct?

Depends on the time of the day and how fast you drive. Realistically more like 20 minutes. My wife and I used to go to a church near that proposed rumored location. If I remember correctly the site is just outside of the town of Piedmont on the Anderson County side.

Greenville is correct. That's the site. It's closer to the city of Anderson than the city of Greenville, but it's reasonably close to midway. My memory says that at most times of day it's about 15-20 minutes from downtown Greenville. As has been said before, this would be great for the upstate (Anderson in particular). It would really knit together Anderson and Greenville thereby making the entire Anderson - Spartanburg corridor feel much more like one big metro.

Greenville is correct. That's the site. It's closer to the city of Anderson than the city of Greenville, but it's reasonably close to midway. My memory says that at most times of day it's about 15-20 minutes from downtown Greenville. As has been said before, this would be great for the upstate (Anderson in particular). It would really knit together Anderson and Greenville thereby making the entire Anderson - Spartanburg corridor feel much more like one big metro.

Agreed about the three feeling like one big metro... Anderson kind of gets left off down there by itself as Greenville and Spartanburg continue to grow towards each other. This could fix all that.

2 questions: So this sounds like it could be about the same size and employee base as BMW right? Anyone hear anything about Audi still, or was that the one that chose another location a few weeks back?

I thought the Audi rumor was the VW rumor, although I might be wrong. The other huge rumor for Anderson was Rolls Royce poking around Anderson County near Clemson, but that one seems to have died off. I think there was also talk that Rolls might be looking at other sites in the state too.

2 questions: So this sounds like it could be about the same size and employee base as BMW right? Anyone hear anything about Audi still, or was that the one that chose another location a few weeks back?

This is the VW/Audi thing. From what I've read, VW hasn't decided which brand it will build in the states. Could be VW, could be Audi.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Yeah Piedmont is to Anderson as Greer is to Spartanburg in reference to Greenville. Both towns sit on county lines. Both were rail line stops and mill towns as well. However Piedmont has not fared as well as Greer but it's location does have potential. We have often driven on Hwy 86/West Georgia Rd. through Piedmont when going to the Simpsonville area as sort of a "poor man's southern connector."

Yeah Piedmont is to Anderson as Greer is to Spartanburg in reference to Greenville. Both towns sit on county lines.

Good comparison. :thumbsup:

Per Mapquest, the site is 7 miles south of the I-85/I-185 interchange in Greenville and 5 miles south of the growing Highway 153 interchange for Powdersville / Easley. Highway 153 is right at the county line, so this is barely into Anderson county.

Good comparison. :thumbsup:

Per Mapquest, the site is 7 miles south of the I-85/I-185 interchange in Greenville and 5 miles south of the growing Highway 153 interchange for Powdersville / Easley. Highway 153 is right at the county line, so this is barely into Anderson county.

Excellent. So this is very much a Greenville project, in that it is not far at all from downtown, CU-ICAR, etc. - despite it being just across the county line in Anderson. Sounds like a great location for something like this. I am certainly keeping my fingers crossed!