The Rumor Mill

btoy

Does anyone here have a preference whether the plant is Audi or Volkswagen?

I'd like to see them build VW's at the factory. Due to the fact it is the more mainstream / mass brand, I'm assuming they would produce more vehicles, need a larger plant and employ a few more people.

I'd like to see them build VW's at the factory. Due to the fact it is the more mainstream / mass brand, I'm assuming they would produce more vehicles, need a larger plant and employ a few more people.

I would think with car manufactures using platform sharing etc, between their mainstream and luxury divisions, the plant would be able to manufacture both Audi branded and Volkswagon branded vehicles.

except for the new Volkswagon minivan which is going to be a rebadged Chyrsler town and country(with VW specific sheet metal and interior) built by Chrysler at their plants for VW.

I would think with car manufactures using platform sharing etc, between their mainstream and luxury divisions, the plant would be able to manufacture both Audi branded and Volkswagon branded vehicles.

Excellent point. Doesn't Nissian do this with their new Mississippi plant (Nissan/Infiniti) and I think Honda does the same with their Ohio plant (Honda/Acura).

Here is an article that somewhat speaks to this.

http://www.automotiveworld.com/WVMA/conten...contentid=65780

Just saw 2 articles in the autoblog feed Audi has no plans for a US plant BUT VW is looking at anderson but Rocky Mount, NC is the preferred location

Interesting. This seems to go against other articles that said the NC site was no longer in play and it was down to the SC site and a Georgia site.

One common theme in every article has been the mention of the established "supplier network" in the Greenville/Spartanburg area. Obviously VW plans to use many of these suppliers, so should our area not win the plant, we will most likely still see numerous announcements of job additions as suppliers in the area expand capacity. Either way, looks like a win for our metro.

From reading all the articles, it's also clear that the 85 corridor is weighing heavily as all three sites Georgia, Anderson County and the NC site are either immediately on, or close to 85.

Reminds me of one I heard a couple of years ago... :D

My understanding is that it did start, that underground utility work has been going on. I drove by the site a few days ago and there was a utility services company doing something in a man hole next to the site. There are things to be done before dirt is over turned.

In completely different news, rumor has it that Furman U. is buying the Vinings apartment complex on Duncan Chapel Road. If they do, I devoutly hope they put a sidewalk between the apartments and the back entrance to the campus.

And perhaps a pedestrian bridge, too...although most Furman Students have (very nice) vehicles, so I doubt many of them would walk unless they just want to get the exercise.

Looks like Autoweek thinks VW is going to build in NC. but its not confirmed yet. we should here within 6 months according to the article.

Autoweek Article

I realize that an old man in Rocky Mount recently said that he sold a large tract of land to "a bunch of Germans," and thus the rumor is that VW will build their North American plant there. What's interesting is that the CEO of VW North America said this:

"There has been a lot of speculation on this front, including the silly rumor that I

Looks like Autoweek thinks VW is going to build in NC. but its not confirmed yet. we should here within 6 months according to the article.

Autoweek Article

What is most interesting about this article, is the fact that the article talks about building an engine and transmission plant in addition to the vehicle assembly plant. Could they be looking at the ease of the 85 corridor? The Anderson County site for engines and the Rocky Mount site for vehicle assembly? Makes sense.

Look at Toyota, they build engines in Huntsville, then ship them straight up I-65 to Kentucky to go in the vehicles.

What is most interesting about this article, is the fact that the article talks about building an engine and transmission plant in addition to the vehicle assembly plant. Could they be looking at the ease of the 85 corridor? The Anderson County site for engines and the Rocky Mount site for vehicle assembly? Makes sense.

Look at Toyota, they build engines in Huntsville, then ship them straight up I-65 to Kentucky to go in the vehicles.

AutoBlog seems to be implying that VW is building 3 plants in North America. Look at how South Carolina is a strikethrough right now.

^It doesn't mean that the plant won't get built here. As a matter of fact, the fact that South Carolina was explicityly mentioned before an actual location has been announced bodes well for the state; to me, that indicates that we are the front-runner.

Which was the way I read it as well. Sorry if my posting sounded differently.The part I was most interested in and was not aware of before was that VW was building 3 different plants. This could account for the rumblings of Rocky Mount, NC that seem to keep popping up.

• 2 weeks later...