The Rumor Mill

btoy

I know of a recent rumor about two call centers from Charlotte interested in moving to downtown Greenville. This was a few months ago, but it may still be in the works. If both happen, it will breathe new life into the office market, which has seen many companies simply relocate locally, rather than build anew here.

That'd be awesome! If we hear something about this happening then I think we'd see cranes going up the next day. We need this to help our towers get built!

A real estate friend said that Crosland is wanting to do a Greenridge-type development in Simpsonville. I've read they were wanting to do another center in the area but that was the first time I've heard Simpsonville mentioned. That would be great if it was to really happen. :whistling:

I've been hearing this same exact thing for a couple of months. Also hearing that a theater chain (Rave) is looking at this development.

I'm curious as to what is going to happen at the old Winn-Dixie distribution center now that it looks to be officially closed. I've heard that a Greenridge style development is in the works, but nothing has been said as of yet.
I really hope this comes to pass! I have been hoping for something like this to jumpstart the Wade Hampton area. There are many abandoned buildings left from the 60's & 70's that need to be done away with. Some examples: the old Long John Silvers, the dead steakhouse building, the old Ingle's market, Parker music building, old cinema building, Hess gas station. Oh how I wish I had the money....

Um, they tore the old Bijou down about 3 or 4 years ago. I went to Wade Hampton, and the district purchased the land, and then they had the building condemed so that they could tear it down. I've repeatedly stated how I would like to see something done with the old Winn Dixie/KMart building, but it seems that it will be cold day in hell before something is done there, along with that whole block from McDonalds over. There is a house in the woods, I don't know if it has power or anything, but if anyone has seen Earl, the homeless guy with a long beard, that is his house.

Um, they tore the old Bijou down about 3 or 4 years ago. I went to Wade Hampton, and the district purchased the land, and then they had the building condemed so that they could tear it down. I've repeatedly stated how I would like to see something done with the old Winn Dixie/KMart building, but it seems that it will be cold day in hell before something is done there, along with that whole block from McDonalds over. There is a house in the woods, I don't know if it has power or anything, but if anyone has seen Earl, the homeless guy with a long beard, that is his house.

Thanks for that info. Now that you mention it, I do remember it being torn down. I just wish that whole area would be redeveloped.

I'm curious as to what is going to happen at the old Winn-Dixie distribution center now that it looks to be officially closed. I've heard that a Greenridge style development is in the works, but nothing has been said as of yet.

I have heard that Walmart will be using it as dirsto for Sam's and WalMart until it is torn down and a new development put in its place that could have a Sam's Club.

If that is really in the works for the Winn Dixie warehouse property, that is great news. I work pretty close by there, and think that is exactly what is needed (refering to the Greenridge style development).

I know initally they have marketed it as warehouse space, but that certainly would not be the best use for that property. I think there around 60 acres there.

As a side note(because the Winn Dixie property is right next door), when Wal-Mart decides to change from a regular store to a SuperCenter, they move. The Taylors one, just remodeled, instead of moving. Must be something to the location for them.

Edited by Chickenwing

I've repeatedly stated how I would like to see something done with the old Winn Dixie/KMart building, but it seems that it will be cold day in hell before something is done there, along with that whole block from McDonalds over.

Kmart's blue light specials at their Wade Hampton store have been numbered for some time. That store was to have closed some years ago after the Taylors Walmart expanded into a supercenter. Last I heard was a store closing sale in May.

If the Kmart shopping center can be razed, it would be nice to see a Target and/or a Bloom in its place.

As for an industrial tenant in the former Winn Dixie facility, the buildings would require much renovations. I still think you will see a retail/entertainment complex in its place.

I've heard rumour from several people that Greenville is still on the short list for an Apple Store. Charleston is also on this list, and I was wondering what if any other chatter others might have heard.

Didn't someone say a while back that one was coming to the Haywood Mall? I wonder ... do they do the laser engraving right there at the store?