The Rumor Mill

btoy

Here is the latest news from Carbon Motors: http://www.carbonmotors.com/blog/38/The-DEADLINE-nears

Thanks. Did the story say if there was any real interest on GM's part (did they approach SC), or is this something being pitched to GM by SC (we approached them)?

Unfortunately, the news story didn't say if there was any interest from GM or not. Sounded like it was mostly upstate leaders trying to court GM to this area though due to being business friendly, having a fairly large automotive sector, and being home to no unions.

Edited by citylife

Here is the latest news from Carbon Motors: http://www.carbonmotors.com/blog/38/The-DEADLINE-nears

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I hope that our state and local leaders have put together a competitive proposal to put Greenville on a level playing field with the other contenders. If so, I am confident that we will be Carbon Motors' choice due to the high quality of life, good working conditions, beautiful surroundings, and friendly people. :)

Unfortunately, the news story didn't say if there was any interest from GM or not. Sounded like it was mostly upstate leaders trying to court GM to this area though due to being business friendly, having a fairly large automotive sector, and being home to no unions.

Thanks. Kind of what I thought it may be. Still good, but definitely a long shot.

• 3 weeks later...

If GM is interested in Greenville, I'm concerned about the fact that the latest restructuring scenario being shown in the news involves the vast majority of the "new" GM being owned by the government (currently very pro-union) and a UAW health care trust. Being a haven from unions may not be a good thing...but let's hope so anyway.

City and county officials were/are trying to get GM to relocate some operations to the Carolina First headquarters going up if the bank decided not to move their offices out of downtown.

Yep. Here's the article from GSA Business:

http://www.gsabusiness.com/news/27830-upst...-decision?rss=0

I hope Carolina First uses their new campus, but I see the advantages if they cannot. For one, that campus gives us a huge bargaining chip when trying to recruit a corporate headquarters or major employer to the area. Second, it would give Carolina First and the City of Greenville a chance to do things right the second time around by keeping Carolina First downtown. They will recover, and they will need more space. Whether that space involves expanding into an existing building or constructing a new one, it would surely be downtown in the urban core.

• 2 weeks later...

This is not a rumor but I don't have a thread to post it in, but why is the Court Yard by Marriott at Haywood (it's not the Court Yard by Marriott but it's a building beside it) in it's own zip code??? That's so strange to me because it's supposed to be in a 29615 zip cod but instead it's in a "29616". I don't think that post offices have there own zip code! Someone help me please...lol

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...229.02,,0,-6.03

http://maps.huge.info/zip.htm

This is where I got the information from!

Never mind they do have there own zip code's!!! lol

Edited by INFOMAN

This is not a rumor but I don't have a thread to post it in, but why is the Court Yard by Marriott at Haywood (it's not the Court Yard by Marriott but it's a building beside it) in it's own zip code??? That's so strange to me because it's supposed to be in a 29615 zip cod but instead it's in a "29616". I don't think that post offices have there own zip code! Someone help me please...lol

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...229.02,,0,-6.03

http://maps.huge.info/zip.htm

This is where I got the information from!

Never mind they do have there own zip code's!!! lol

It appears that you have tapped into some invalid information. Your Google Maps link points to 118 E. Orchard Park. Dr., which is not a valid address. The address of the Courtyard by Marriott, as given on the Marriott web site, is 70 Orchard Park Dr. The ZIP Code look-up on the USPS web site (http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp) gives the the ZIP Code for that street address as 29615. According to the USPS, 29616 is reserved for PO boxes but currently is not active.

• 3 weeks later...

Grant Peacock is supposedly looking to get out of the Peacock Hotel & Spa project, based on what I heard last week. We know that there have been issues with funding, and rising construction costs. Now the economy is tougher, so I don't know if he is trying to sell the land (and partially constructed foundation) or just get someone else to continue the project. Has anyone else heard anything? Could this be true?

Grant Peacock is supposedly looking to get out of the Peacock Hotel & Spa project, based on what I heard last week. We know that there have been issues with funding, and rising construction costs. Now the economy is tougher, so I don't know if he is trying to sell the land (and partially constructed foundation) or just get someone else to continue the project. Has anyone else heard anything? Could this be true?

Let's just say the Pinnacle has a better chance of getting built than the Peacock. No bank is going to finance this hotel development even when the economy does improve unfortunately. The only way I could see the project getting completely built is if a developer like Windsor Aughtry came in to finish it and if the hotel was a national or large regional chain instead. I don't know if Grant Peacock is looking at leaving the project or not, but it wouldn't suprise me if he was. I wouldn't be a shocked at all if he turns out to be the manager of the new Courtyard by Marriott downtown when that opens early next year. Mark Kent is the head developer of the Peacock project so i'm pretty sure it would be up to him whether to sell the land or try to get someone else to finish it. Grant Peacock was going to be the manager of the hotel.

Edited by citylife

There were crews from Triangle on site last week taking down some rebar and hauling off the plastic barricades. Perhaps Peacock and Kent were hard up for some cash and decided to sell some rebar for scrap? How long until the city demands that this eyesore be torn down?

There were crews from Triangle on site last week taking down some rebar and hauling off the plastic barricades. Perhaps Peacock and Kent were hard up for some cash and decided to sell some rebar for scrap? How long until the city demands that this eyesore be torn down?

How much of the minimal work they have done on the site will be helpful to someone who purchases it, and how much will have to be undone? Maybe it depends on what would go there, but I hope that the foundation is mostly in place for someone to build a midrise or highrise there if they choose.

Unfortunately, I don't expect much from the Peacock given the current state of affairs. A five-star hotel was a lofty goal to begin with, and considering that the project was put on hold, scaled back, and then put on hold again suggests that they are in over their heads. I'm not saying that a five-star hotel won't work in downtown Greenville, because I think it can - but it has to be done in the right way by the right people. I hope Kent and Peacock are the ones to do it (their resumes certainly suggest that they are), but I admit that I have my doubts at this point.

This makes the second "groundbreaking" we've had downtown in the last few years (Pinnacle being the first) that turned out to be a false alarm. Do local developers just not understand what it takes, or were both situations rare and/or unfortunate circumstances beyond their control? :dontknow:

• 2 weeks later...

Funny that the post above are about the Peacock, as I have recently (this week) started to hear rumors about another possible downtown hotel. Anyone heard anything? The rumors I've heard are not about the Peacock and not about the hotel portion of Washington Square. This is something totally different. :dontknow: Anyone???

Funny that the post above are about the Peacock, as I have recently (this week) started to hear rumors about another possible downtown hotel. Anyone heard anything? The rumors I've heard are not about the Peacock and not about the hotel portion of Washington Square. This is something totally different. :dontknow: Anyone???

Interesting! The Courtyard by Marriott will be downtown's 5th hotel, with a likely possible addition of Washington Square making it 6 (excluding the less timely Peacock and Gateway plans).

Any indication of it being a part of Riverplace? Clustering hotels along the Reedy, Broad Street, River Street, and Camperdown all makes sense with the proposed visitor's center.

I'm very intrigued. :shades:

• 3 months later...

I thought the one in Columbia is now a hotel (in Five Points)?

I remember when I first saw the one in Greenville; I was surprised it had one too. Was Claussen's a regional chain or something?

That does sound right, now that you mention it. Maybe there is a restaurant too?

Thanks for that Krazeeboi.

:lol: Maybe it would be our first truly affordable housing option downtown?? We're not Chicago, but that sort of proximity exists there... :rolleyes:

They would be great lofts, for sure. That section of Augusta has a lot of potential for continued redevelopment, and this would contribute greatly. I could see those condos being more affordable, especially at this stage. Attracting the young professional/upwardly mobile class would be key. I think it would be so much fun to live there and be close to everything the West End has to offer, yet also be an important part of redevelopment on Augusta Street. :thumbsup: