The Rumor Mill

btoy

What if that rail line is someday part of BRT or a light rail line? Would that change your opinion?

Maybe but I can't see them putting up lofts in hopes that the line would one day become BRT so that noise would be tolerable. I do not know the train schedule for this section, but I can't imagine anyone being willing to pay to live that close to a train that may come through at all hours of the evening and night. There would be no way of making it quiet enough and you could probably even feel vibrations from trains at this proximity.

All the trains that I've seen go through this section of tracks are moving rather slowly. It was quite calm compared to the speeds and noise I've experienced at my apartment in Clemson, which was about 40 yards from the tracks...

You must live on Elm Street just under the train trestle.

I lived in some apartments there for a semester. The plus was that you could lie in your bed and get a massage while the train went by. :lol:

On the train thing, it is actually quite urban. I had a loft in B'ham on Morris Avenue that backed up to not only the tracks, but the one time major rail junction for Southern Railways..........12 to 14 tracks wide. Trains came through hourly......really quite fun. You could learn the train by the sound of the horn (Amtrak ALWAYS had a very distinctive sound). I found it cool. Have a cocktail party, open the windows, trains going by......you had to get closer to each other to talk, like in a loud bar. It was fun. Just my humble opinion.

Edited by gsupstate

I think that has already been covered....I believe the name of the restaurant is Harry and Jean's

The website:

http://www.harryandjeans.com/index.php?page=home

Happened to notice this past week while looking up a phone number for Happy Pie, that Harry & Jeans already has a full page ad in the newest version of Yellow Pages. I believe I heard they were opening end of October....seems rather quick.

The website:

http://www.harryandjeans.com/index.php?page=home

Happened to notice this past week while looking up a phone number for Happy Pie, that Harry & Jeans already has a full page ad in the newest version of Yellow Pages. I believe I heard they were opening end of October....seems rather quick.

This place looks interesting, with the themed dining rooms, live jazz, and meals inspired by the owner's memories as a child. This looks like it will be a nice addition to our dining scene.

I was looking at their locations, and found it odd that their only two restaurants (aside from Greenville) are Canton, OH and Rock Hill, SC. It looks like we will be their third, and I hope it is successful for them. :)

Edited by Greenville

I was looking at their locations, and found it odd that their only two restaurants (aside from Greenville) are Canton, OH and Rock Hill, SC. It looks like we will be their third, and I hope it is successful for them. :)

Their third location was in downtown Charlotte. It closed a while back.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com

The Greenville News did an article on the new owners of the Claussen Bakery and their plans for it. They've yet to decide what to do with the building.

Krazee- You can find some information about Claussen Bakery and their locations in the article. Apparently it was a regional chain...

This would be great! A good rooftop bar downtown would be a nice addition. :thumbsup:

I've always thought that a lot of downtown restaurants/bars should have a rooftop area. It would be really cool. Another great addition would be a hookah bar with a rooftop patio downtown. Aladdin's was cool for a while, but then they just turned it into a nightclub/bar. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Rumors are hot and heavy that Target is opening a Powdersville location on 153. Anyone know?

This is true. Land is being cleared. It is at/near the intersection of Anderson RD. It should have a Greenville address and not Piedmont since it is on that side of the highway. I guess this is in lieu of the proposed Pelham Rd location that was opposed.

Rumors are hot and heavy that Target is opening a Powdersville location on 153. Anyone know?

This is true. Land is being cleared. It is at/near the intersection of Anderson RD. It should have a Greenville address and not Piedmont since it is on that side of the highway. I guess this is in lieu of the proposed Pelham Rd location that was opposed.

A development of Target, Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and Walgreen's was reported as a rumor in the 6 November 2009 issue of Greenville Journal.

Walgreen's may be going up at the site borded by SC 81, SC 153, and McNeely Road where the strip center was recently demolished.

Taget and Bed, Bath, and Beyond will go up on the larger parcel borded by SC 81 and McNeely Road. It is also rumored this site may host a new Ingle's supermarket.

I doubt this location had anything to do with Target's Pelham Road area location plans. Both locations are significantly apart to affect one another.

A development of Target, Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and Walgreen's was reported as a rumor in the 6 November 2009 issue of Greenville Journal.

Walgreen's may be going up at the site borded by SC 81, SC 153, and McNeely Road where the strip center was recently demolished.

Taget and Bed, Bath, and Beyond will go up on the larger parcel borded by SC 81 and McNeely Road. It is also rumored this site may host a new Ingle's supermarket.

I doubt this location had anything to do with Target's Pelham Road area location plans. Both locations are significantly apart to affect one another.

Cool. Good to see these stores coming to this side of town. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

It looks like The Open Book may be closing.

RT @_otis_: Sad news for #Greenville, SC. The Open Book (best independent book store in town) is going out of biz. (Very Bad News!)

— Ron Tate (@sccounsel)

January 22, 2010

Sad, but can't say I'm shocked. When I'm there, usually only one or two other people are there. Nationally, with chains like Borders having trouble, I suspect local bookstores would be having even more trouble. My time on the internet vs. a book in my hand is very lopsided....with the internet winning.

With the announcement of the Apple Tablet on Wed., I suspect books & magazines will soon make the move to digital distribution, just as music has. We're actually quite lucky that Greenville still has so many record stores. I'm buying more CDs than ever before.

• 2 weeks later...

The old Jimmy Johns spot on McBee....I've heard twice now, last time was just minutes ago, that there are plans for a wine bar to go in the space. I do know a couple of week ago I thought there was an Available/For Lease sign in the window. I was by there mid afternoon and there is not a sign in the window anymore. Can anyone verify this? :dontknow: