btoy

The Rumor Mill

Cherrydale is the mostly likely scenario. The Stone/Wade Hampton/Church triangle would be better though. The GTA property in West End would be great also. I question if either of those last two are big enough though.

Well if either of those last two were developed with surface parking, it'd be a huge mistake. I'm sure the City would work with them on a garage if Whole Foods wanted to be that close or in downtown.

That sounds excellent!

Too much of the I-85 corridor seems to be easily accessible to the current store. I wonder if we'll see a second location come further away from the interstate and closer to downtown (meaning pretty much anything a mile or more from 85)?

Dreaming here, but If parking could be worked out (structured in some way), a good urban-setup location on Augusta could be nice. Lewis Plaza area? End Dream.

I actually think Trader Joes could work well in Lewis Plaza. Their store format size would fit in Lewis Plaza. With Trader Joes opening one store, I would think we would see at least a second. Most markets they open in, they do so with multiple stores.

I actually think Trader Joes could work well in Lewis Plaza. Their store format size would fit in Lewis Plaza. With Trader Joes opening one store, I would think we would see at least a second. Most markets they open in, they do so with multiple stores.

That's actually a great idea! The old Bilo store/current Dollar General would have great visibility. Too big? I have no idea.

Either way, I'm itching to see someone do something with the greater Lewis Plaza area (as well as the immediate shopping center). There are some great urban bones to build off of. We just need some mixed uses and greater density (workforce, but mainly residential). Creating, or in this case enhancing, these additional urban nodes throughout the city are going to be what enhances mass transportation.

That's actually a great idea! The old Bilo store/current Dollar General would have great visibility. Too big? I have no idea.

Either way, I'm itching to see someone do something with the greater Lewis Plaza area (as well as the immediate shopping center). There are some great urban bones to build off of. We just need some mixed uses and greater density (workforce, but mainly residential). Creating, or in this case enhancing, these additional urban nodes throughout the city are going to be what enhances mass transportation.

That, and Proterra's high-speed, energy-efficient buses. :thumbsup:

Cherrydale area as well for the same reasons you said. In addition, it would draw from the Taylors/Pebble Creek area too.

The Taylors and Pebble Creek areas can support their own store out somewhere on Wade Hampton. Cherrydale has enough clout to pull from Furman and Travelers Rest.

The Taylors and Pebble Creek areas can support their own store out somewhere on Wade Hampton. Cherrydale has enough clout to pull from Furman and Travelers Rest.

You'd think so, but I can tell you as a resident of the Pebble Creek area we don't seem to get many new stores along Wade Hampton. No Kohl's, no newer restaurants, etc. The best hope I think we have is the Cherrydale area. I know about the (one time) proposed shopping center along 29 but I haven't seen anything happen with it. Instead we have a closed Winn Dixie, next to an out of date KMart, which is across the street from a close Burger King, which is across the street from a closed Arby's. You get the picture I think ...

Man, after they finish the custom house it's gonna be pretty quiet on Main st. I'd like to see Whole Foods build over on that recently graded triangle of land up on Stone and Wade Hampton. Something urban would be cool, like that multi-story Publics down in Miami with the parking garage.

More good rumor/news on food markets...

...Whole Foods will now be asking for your phone number when you check out, to determine what area shoppers in the current store come from and guide them on a location for an additional store. That was the word to me.

It seems more logical and less invasive to simply request that shoppers share their zip code rather than a phone number. How many regulars don't even have or use a home phone? There could also be legal issues involved when such personal contact information is verbally given to a clerk, not to mention the potential risk involved with exposing your personal phone number to other shoppers nearby. What if someone is listening and decides to remember the number? In my opinion, a store card or zip code would be more efficient than entering a phone number for every purchase.

It seems more logical and less invasive to simply request that shoppers share their zip code rather than a phone number. How many regulars don't even have or use a home phone? There could also be legal issues involved when such personal contact information is verbally given to a clerk, not to mention the potential risk involved with exposing your personal phone number to other shoppers nearby. What if someone is listening and decides to remember the number? In my opinion, a store card or zip code would be more efficient than entering a phone number for every purchase.

Another point is that a lot of people exclusively use their cell phones and when they move from somewhere else, they keep their old number. I was asked for my phone number after a purchase I made at Concord Mills mall yesterday, and if this is why they need my number, then it's not going to give them accurate information because I still have a SC number even though I live in Charlotte now. I know other stores that use zip codes and I think that's a better way of going about it, including for the reasons you mentioned.

Excuse my ignorance but is Trader Joe's a grocery store or restaurant? Also someone mentioned a wine bar going into the "former" Jimmy John's on McBee. I was by there last night and Jimmy John's was open.

Excuse my ignorance but is Trader Joe's a grocery store or restaurant? Also someone mentioned a wine bar going into the "former" Jimmy John's on McBee. I was by there last night and Jimmy John's was open.

I've heard Trader Joe's described as the "Jimmy Buffett" of grocery stores. Laid back, doesn't take itself serious, and there's usually something wierd or interesting. (No, I'm not a parrot head...)

It's just a cool store with really good and usually unique items -- most of them are actually good for you. Case in point - I'm enjoying some of Trader Joe's Chili-Spiced Pineapple right now.

And if you have a sweet tooth, Trader Joe's has some amazing chocolate-covered- everything.

A cool, hip, trendy upscale market without an ounce of pretense:

Eyes in Motion will be moving from their corner space to the space directly next to Academy and taking up 2,550 square feet. Trader Joe's is slated to take up the rest of the remaining space in the complex equaling 13,500 square feet. The remaining spaces will be combined of course. A new building a little over 10,000 square feet in size is slated to be built on the small field directly next to Woodruff Road Academy/Home Depot signage that will contain Mattress Firm and Gamestop. Construction bids for all of this went out on May 18th.

Trader Joe's is great. I think that most if not everything in the store is its own brand, and the products are high quality and are sometimes cheaper than regular grocery store products. Plus it has a great wine selection that's dirt cheap.

Eyes in Motion will be moving from their corner space to the space directly next to Academy and taking up 2,550 square feet. Trader Joe's is slated to take up the rest of the remaining space in the complex equaling 13,500 square feet. The remaining spaces will be combined of course. A new building a little over 10,000 square feet in size is slated to be built on the small field directly next to Woodruff Road Academy/Home Depot signage that will contain Mattress Firm and Gamestop. Construction bids for all of this went out on May 18th.

Nice! I'm so looking forward to this store.

Trader Joe's introduced me to Australian licorice. Yum! happy.gif

My girlfriend fell in love with Australian licorice when she went to school in Australia. She now gets it every week at Trader Joe's. I on the other hand think it taste horrible. sick.png

There are design plans drawn up for a multistory mixed use building - "Rhett @ River"- but it is design budget only at this point.

TRADER JOES CONFIRMED next to Academy Sports. I just got the bid package. Jeffrey Taylor is the architectural firm. James R. Vannoy & Sons is the contractor. 12,564 square feet. Bids sent out June 15th.

TRADER JOES CONFIRMED next to Academy Sports. I just got the bid package. Jeffrey Taylor is the architectural firm. James R. Vannoy & Sons is the contractor. 12,564 square feet. Bids sent out June 15th.

Great news! Did the bid package indicate a target completion date?

Great news! Did the bid package indicate a target completion date?

No, but i'm hearing possibly later this year is when the store will open. Pics:

009-32.jpg

010-30.jpg

So we've been writing about it for months, even have construction pictures, but it's not official until this. :)

The Greenville Journal announces Trader Joe's going in by Academy Sports. (TBA section)

Now if we only had a Grand Opening date!

post-24209-030473000 1277492264_thumb.jp