The Rumor Mill

btoy

What is up with the Hudson Rd. location, nothing has happened in months?

I'm wondering the same. The Port City Java coming soon sign lies on the dirt. They could be in the process of finding a builder or backing off plans as Cool Beans Creamery is taken much of their potential business.

The land towards the corner of Brushy Creek across from Brushy Creek Crossing is up for sale.

I'm wondering the same. The Port City Java coming soon sign lies on the dirt. They could be in the process of finding a builder or backing off plans as Cool Beans Creamery is taken much of their potential business.

The land towards the corner of Brushy Creek across from Brushy Creek Crossing is up for sale.

It has been for sale for a while. I have heard that a car wash is going on that site.

Also, we have seen before that new retailers start advertising in our market before they make any official announcements, maybe this is nothing but yesterday I went to the Bilo on Hudson Rd. and they were selling Bass Pro Shops Git Cards.

i didn't see this addressed yet, but the new Starbucks at RiverPlace is getting ready to open. so it would seem odd for PCJ to add at the stadium with West End Coffee co. building a new building on the west side of the stadium - and are very committed to the space. i understand there will be retail coffee there.

i most like the sign for the rental office space above the west end coffee co. that offers free coffee with the lease!

we drink a lot of coffee (and coffee related drinks) in g-vegas but there just aren't that many people working/living at the stadium to support five coffee shops within 5 blocks (starbucks, west end, bistro, spill the beans, PCJ?).

Welcome to UrbanPlanet.org, nigil! Hope you join in the discussions often. More perspectives are what we all enjoy. :thumbsup:

While I understand your caution, I think it is time to realize that Greenville is rapidly changing its West End image from appalling to appealing. I consider the rather recent explosion of activity cetered around Falls Park to be a worthy indication of the level of change we should expect further down South Main Street into the West End. With the traffic attracted to the new ballpark, one or two shops would be overcrowded, causing many to simply walk away. Consider also that there are plenty of new residences being constructed nearby, with presumeably many more on the way, as the appeal grows with each new development. :shades:

As so often happens when a new market opens, businesses rush in to gain a foothold in the area. You mention five coffee shops within a couple of blocks. If so, then that is a wonderful thing for the consumer, as the businesses will be taking innovative measures to stand out and draw crowds.

Spill the Beans is wonderful and across the street from Falls Park is in prime retail space, but forget going there on a Friday or Saturday night.

West end coffee, while it's going to have a retail outlet, is mostly known for its roasting and delivery of coffee to area restaurants and the Biltmore Estate.

Port City Java will more closely compete with Starbucks, I think, for what they offer. Which is fine with me.

Anyone remember the coffee shop across the street from the Hyatt? or the one above ground on coffee street?

The success of Coffee Underground essentially ran those businesses off, and it showed Greenvillians what a coffee shop could be before the area was really introduced to Starbucks.

It is not enough that they are coffee shops, but what sort of coffee shops are they? A roasting company that serves coffee? A primary coffee shop, with some food? An ice cream and coffee shop?

The market will determine what will survive.

This is most definitely a dream.

On another side note.... Developer is taking proposal for the Woolworth Building... I saw one that looked awesome. It was a 27 story tower. Almost twice as tall as the Bank of America building that would be next to it.... ANYWAY, before yall make this out to be something, I was specifically told that it was HIGHLY UNLIKELY to be picked because it was almost unrealistic considering some details, but it's a cool idea to throw around! AND it's nice to know that they are making progress in developing that site!

I was thinking how cool it would be if somehow City officials and area development boards could convince the "big corporation" being lured to the Magnolia Park Town Center development to consider downtown a better location for their 275,000-square-foot office building. Imagine what that could do for downtown residential development. :shades:

I was thinking how cool it would be if somehow City officials and area development boards could convince the "big corporation" being lured to the Magnolia Park Town Center development to consider downtown a better location for their 275,000-square-foot office building. Imagine what that could do for downtown residential development. :shades:

Agreed completely. That would increase downtown office space by an amount in the high single digits, percentagewise. Zoning changes plus maybe some tax or other incentives could do the trick.

For the multiple West End coffee shops- that is a Manhattan-style density of coffee shops. Indeed all of them will have to really go the extra mile to succeed. The Coffee Beanery was the coffee shop across from the Hyatt; curious as to why it shut down years ago.

Agreed completely. That would increase downtown office space by an amount in the high single digits, percentagewise. Zoning changes plus maybe some tax or other incentives could do the trick.

For the multiple West End coffee shops- that is a Manhattan-style density of coffee shops. Indeed all of them will have to really go the extra mile to succeed. The Coffee Beanery was the coffee shop across from the Hyatt; curious as to why it shut down years ago.

What zoning changes would they make to get them downtown? The C4 Central Business District zoning already should allow want an office user would be looking to do.

Suburban zoning could be changed to limit the types and sizes of buildings that could be built there. If 275,000 sf of office space couldn't be built in suburbia, it would have to go downtown. Lots of cities have these types of zoning restrictions; SouthPark Mall in Charlotte, for example, had problems being able to expand a few years ago because only x amount of space could be built on the mall's site.

Edited by mallguy

i didn't see this addressed yet, but the new Starbucks at RiverPlace is getting ready to open. so it would seem odd for PCJ to add at the stadium with West End Coffee co. building a new building on the west side of the stadium - and are very committed to the space. i understand there will be retail coffee there.

i most like the sign for the rental office space above the west end coffee co. that offers free coffee with the lease!

we drink a lot of coffee (and coffee related drinks) in g-vegas but there just aren't that many people working/living at the stadium to support five coffee shops within 5 blocks (starbucks, west end, bistro, spill the beans, PCJ?).

port city java is moving in to west end fieldhouse for sure!

Suburban zoning could be changed to limit the types and sizes of buildings that could be built there. If 275,000 sf of office space couldn't be built in suburbia, it would have to go downtown. Lots of cities have these types of zoning restrictions; SouthPark Mall in Charlotte, for example, had problems being able to expand a few years ago because only x amount of space could be built on the mall's site.

Oh, I see what you are getting at. I thought you menat change downtown zoning to entice them downtown, but you mean change suburban zoning so that they would not be allowed in the suburbs.

I would love to have those types of users downtown, but in reality it is not what some companies want, if we passed zoning that would limit large offices in the suburbs it may mean that this company whoever they are and others may look elsewhere.

In my opininon the jobs are more important than whether or not they are located in the downtown core.

My feeling exactly! :thumbsup: Consider how under-developed and small Greenville would be if none of these new projects could have happened.

I agree, although I'd hope that our city leaders would try to work with prospective new companies to figure out ways to get them downtown (e.g., tax cuts, help with parking garage construction, quick building permit approvals, etc.); based on the points of view often expressed on this board, I'd expect, though, that G'ville leaders would think that "growth no matter what or where" is good and that no significant efforts are made to lure companies downtown, other than just making downtown attractive.

Also, my hope that zoning changes could be done to require big projects downtown isn't unfortunately feasible due to the US federal system; in many European countries, land use planning is done at a national level and so cities that have zoning restrictions in the suburbs don't have to worry about losing new developments to other cities since all cities have the same restrictions. Southeastern states could work together to harmonize land use planning, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

That was a quick response I got from him. Here's the question I sent:

In the email you sent me earlier, it sounded like you were hinting at another skyscraper or large development coming to the "uptown" area? Is this true? Thanks.

...and here is the answer I got: We are in conceptuals now with several parts to put together so therefore the height/size is very fluid right now, but it very promising.

Edited by g-man430