The Rumor Mill

btoy

Here's the State's article: The State

So, let me get this straight. Rolls Royce approached SC about making a bid. SC is going to make a bid. And they've chosen to showcase the coast, namely Charleston. Is this a result of the Upstate's lack of clout in Cola? Seems fishy to me, given that the upstate's international investment speaks for itself, I-85 boombelt, CU-ICAR, GE, BMW, Donaldson Center, GSP, and the continuing losses of textile jobs from the textile capital (meaning that we're being hit hard given our history). :dontknow: Yea, Charleston has aerospace industries, but does that along justify it? I'm not sold on it.

Not saying that it's the case, but it would not surprise me one bit. <_<

Edited by GvilleSC

Where in the article does it say they are only pitching the low country?

Charleston's Post and Courier article:Ready for take-off

State and local economic development officials have been trying to develop a "cluster" of aviation-related businesses around the new factories that Global Aeronautica and Vought Aircraft Industries Inc. have built at Charleston International Airport. Rolls-Royce, which has agreements to supply engines for Boeing's 787, as well the Dreamliner's closest competition, the Airbus A350, would be another big catch for the economy.

Gov. Mark Sanford referred question about Rolls-Royce to the Commerce Department. But in his remarks about Global Aeronautica from the podium, the recently re-elected governor said he was bullish on Charleston's chances to attract more aviation jobs. "I believe that this is the tip of the iceberg," he said.

Where have we heard any mention of any other place in the state?

Edited by GvilleSC

If SC gets this plant, which is a big if, it may end up in Charleston, but the Upstate and Charleston are likely the only logical choices anyway. Therefore, they probably have at least a 50% chance anyway.

It is a stretch the say from those quotes that the state/Commerce Dept. is pushing Charleston. The article mentions Charleston because it is a Charleston paper. It is only logical that a Chas. reporter would inquire on that areas' chances, without asking about others.

Of course, Charleston has long said BWM was headed their way, until then Gov. Campbell pushed them to the upstate. So maybe, Sanford will do the same for Charleston.

So we can see that Chas is definately in the running. Do we have any articles that say the upstate is? I say this as biased upstater, but it would really suck if this thing went to chas INSTEAD of here. It does not speak well for our "International, Automotive, Technology-based, CU-ICAR" future area that is trying to become the next hub in the southeast for such things if another part (even in the same state) is considered to be more appropriate for such a development. Charleston has already snagged a few really good projects, adn I am happy about that (I am not trying to take anything away from Chas and it's leaders). It just seems that this kind of project is what Greenville and the upstate pitches itself for; it is our bread and butter. Charleston already ahs tourism as it's bread and butter, but if they win out on this type of project development, then where does that leave the upstate?

Now before anyone thinks I am saying the upstate will fall apart if it doesn't get this project, let me make it clear thatI am speaking in principle. Namely, if the upstate cannot beat out other parts of the state for such a project, when this sort of thing is supposed to be our bag, what will that say about us?

Just food for thought....

So we can see that Chas is definately in the running. Do we have any articles that say the upstate is? I say this as biased upstater, but it would really suck if this thing went to chas INSTEAD of here. It does not speak well for our "International, Automotive, Technology-based, CU-ICAR" future area that is trying to become the next hub in the southeast for such things if another part (even in the same state) is considered to be more appropriate for such a development. Charleston has already snagged a few really good projects, adn I am happy about that (I am not trying to take anything away from Chas and it's leaders). It just seems that this kind of project is what Greenville and the upstate pitches itself for; it is our bread and butter. Charleston already ahs tourism as it's bread and butter, but if they win out on this type of project development, then where does that leave the upstate?

Now before anyone thinks I am saying the upstate will fall apart if it doesn't get this project, let me make it clear thatI am speaking in principle. Namely, if the upstate cannot beat out other parts of the state for such a project, when this sort of thing is supposed to be our bag, what will that say about us?

Just food for thought....

I agree 100%. This is the upstate's cup of tea.

Charleston's Post and Courier article:Ready for take-off

Where have we heard any mention of any other place in the state?

That isn't the same article that the comment was made about, it was made with regards to the Myrtle Beach Article.

But, it makes sense to target Charleston with the other suppliers there and the fact is, it is closer to the port, that might matter.

I would love it to be in the Upstate, but it is possible that they do not want to be to close to their competition, GE? There could be a concern that the two companies would cannabilize each other for employees.

I guess it depends on which division of Rolls Royce is looking at locating here. If it's the automotive division it makes sense to be located at CU-ICAR but if it's the aeronautics division, Charleston makes more sense.

From what I have read, it is the aeronautics division. The automotovie is actually no longer a division of the same company, but a wholly owned subsidiary of BMW.

I guess it depends on which division of Rolls Royce is looking at locating here. If it's the automotive division it makes sense to be located at CU-ICAR but if it's the aeronautics division, Charleston makes more sense.

I disagree.

The Upstate is home to Honeywell, Champion Aerospace, and GE Transportation. GE is growing their aeropsace work in Greenville (first time Greenville received GE work outside of their energy business). They are all building engines for aerospace.

In addition, Lockheed Martin and Stevens Aviation have very large Maintenance, Inspection and Repair presences at Donaldson Center.

We also have GE Energy building gas turbines and Caterpillar making marine diesel engines.

So, we have a skilled workforce in aerospace/engine building.

Charleston is home to SKF Bearings and Piedmont Hawthorne and not too much else in aerospace manufacturing. They are bsically trying to create a workforce from scratch for Vought and Allenia.

If I was locating a plant, I would certainly look to where other companies are being succcessful as a good indicator of the types of workforce and talent in an area.

Edited by EDPro

I disagree.

The Upstate is home to Honeywell, Champion Aerospace, and GE Transportation. GE is growing their aeropsace work in Greenville (first time Greenville received GE work outside of their energy business). They are all building engines for aerospace.

In addition, Lockheed Martin and Stevens Aviation have very large Maintenance, Inspection and Repair presences at Donaldson Center.

We also have GE Energy building gas turbines and Caterpillar making marine diesel engines.

So, we have a skilled workforce in aerospace/engine building.

Charleston is home to SKF Bearings and Piedmont Hawthorne and not too much else in aerospace manufacturing. They are bsically trying to create a workforce from scratch for Vought and Allenia.

If I was locating a plant, I would certainly look to where other companies are being succcessful as a good indicator of the types of workforce and talent in an area.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

One other note....even though both the Vought / Allenia fuselage and the Rolls Royce proposal are both aerospace related, that relationship has a vast canyon in between. The manufacturing of fuselage components and other aerodynamic parts, is vastly different from the manufacturing and research on jet engines. Think about it. Seattle is home to Boeing and they assemble their planes in the Seattle metro, yet as far as I know, there are no jet engine manufacturers anywhere in the Seattle area. The two are entirely different, highly specialized lines of manufacturing that eventually merge on the ASSEMBLY line. Rolls Royce is engines FOR planes and thus I would think the skill sets and engineering found in Greenville are more closely related than the fuselage manufacturing ramping up in Charleston. Either way, I hope one of the two SC cities will be the winner! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

What else is coming to McDaniel Village, in addition to Panera Bread (a great addition!)? That shopping center seems to have a few more vacancies in addition to the former Applebee's.

Meanwhile, that Verdae MarketFair seems to have risen from the dead, with new stores coming in- too bad Greenville's dead enclosed malls weren't so fortunate!

Applebee's has begun work on a new location near Pleasantburg at I-85. Should be a great location.

Did not know that. Pleasantburg Dr/Augusta Rd at 85 is really growing or so it seems. With the new bloom, and new hotel there next to Home Depot, I hope that growth shifts to this end of the County. It's not seeing the residential growth of the eastside, but MAYBE this will help to make it more appealing...? It sure would be good for the Southern Connector.

just saw some info one a good size development to be built over on Old Airport Road in between Haywood and Woodruff (on the land that backs up to Fluor Daniel) that includes restaurant. retail, and residential. No tenants were named however....anybody know anything about this?

We have discussed this somewhere IF it's across the street from the mall. Do you know when they're looking to start or make tenant announcements?

yep, that's it....but no, i have no idea about tenants, everything was very vague ( i'm assuming they don't have any solid contracts yet or don't want the info out)

Did you get to see a site plan?

Really curious what this will look like. Had heard it would be ground floor retail with living above. Very pedestrian friendly.