The Rumor Mill

btoy

If that is not the site, then perhaps this one is? Btoy mentioned earlier this year (February 2006) that 25.5 acres of the Flour Daniel campus was being sold. This will indeed be a very good use of the property there. :shades:

CS, could you disclose any details about this development that haven't been discussed here yet? I'd like to know the overall scope of this project in comparison to RiverPlace, McBee Station, and Magnolia Park Town Center.

Perhaps someone should start a new thread with these posts, since this is not a mere rumor anymore.

Edited by Skyliner

^^ That's the one. It is a sizable amount of land. I'd be interested in knowing more about it in comparison to other projects, too. This would be a great location for a Villagio Verde development. Imagine the possibilities if only Fluor would sell all their land and relocate downtown... :rolleyes:

Edited by GvilleSC

^^ That's the one. It is a sizable amount of land. I'd be interested in knowing more about it in comparison to other projects, too. This would be a great location for a Villagio Verde development. Imagine the possibilities if only Fluor would sell all their land and relocate downtown... :rolleyes:

Wouldn't a nice 25-story tower downtown be great for Fluor (and for Greenville)? :shades:

Wouldn't a nice 25-story tower downtown be great for Fluor (and for Greenville)? :shades:

speaking of tall buildings. I just noticed for the first how visible downtown Greenville is from 85. I had always seen the skyline (or just Landmark building) up near the Sara Lee facility. It was always difficult to pick out, but it could be done. Well coming home for Christmas break, plain as day right before the Highway 153 exit, there sat the Landmark building on the horizon right in front of me. I don't know if it's always been this visible (because I don't know how I've missed it for so long) or if some trees have recently been taken down. So, since you can only see the top 5 floors or so of the Landmark building, we need more buildings about that height and higher to draw attention to our downtown. Here's a picture I took while [safely] driving down 85. Because I was driving and it's a picture, it's hard to see but the arrow shows you what is the Landmark building. It's a hundred times more obvious in person:

arrow.jpg

the one i'm talking about is the Fluor Daniel property...all that i saw was an ariel rendering it didn't show a whole lot... six buildings-restaurant, retail, hotel and residential. The retail sits on Old Airport Road and the residential backs up to the (what appears to be) a lake on the property with a small pavilion area and a bridge....entrance appears to be right at the corner of Old Airport and Woods Crossing....sorry no grand tall buildings

Edited by charlie swords

the one i'm talking about is the Fluor Daniel property...all that i saw was an ariel rendering it didn't show a whole lot... six buildings-restaurant, retail, hotel and residential. The retail sits on Old Airport Road and the residential backs up to the (what appears to be) a lake on the property with a small pavilion area and a bridge....entrance appears to be right at the corner of Old Airport and Woods Crossing....sorry no grand tall buildings

When I mentioned the 25-story tower, I was responding to GvilleSC's post wishing that Fluor would sell all their land and relocate downtown. I would not want a 25-story tower where Fluor's property currently is.

Actually they used to have a large skyscraper downtown but I think you guys refer to it as the "Landmark" building. A lot of us "old time" Greenvillian's still refer to it as the Daniel Building. Sigh...

Right. They followed the trend to leave downtown. I don't see why they don't follow the trend of wanting to be downtown now. One day...

• 3 months later...

how big is the city limits today?

27 square miles was the last figure I saw.

The Old Jeff Lynch site was annexed recently, which was just a few acres, but the Journal has hinted at more commercial annexations in that area. Verdae and Magnolia Plaza have provided some recent additions as well.

• 1 month later...

Several tenants at McDaniel Village are closing or relocating with leases terminating or denewed. The property owner desires to raze the center and build a 39,000 square feet grocer (on ground level) and a two to three level parking deck (250 spaces) above. A freestanding building southeast of the former Applebee's would also be razed for a main entrance to access the signalized intersection of Augusta Street and McDaniel Avenue.

interesting!

I hear that ice cream may be coming to the old Sprout's location...