The Rumor Mill

btoy

How would the Florida comany(s) fit in?

Haven't checked this out, but where does Audi currently import their cars? Jacksonville by any chance? It's a hug port for automobile imports for various brands. Don't know about Audi, just guessing. Anyone know what port Audi uses? :dontknow:

Theres an article from Road and Track about Volkswagon wanting to restructure in the US.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?se...article_id=5688

"We clearly have to consider a production location in North America," Jacoby said in a conference call with journalists and financial analysts. He added that a facility to produce cars in the U.S. would make the company "a local player" in the market and bring consumers and decision makers closer together"

I know Audi is the luxury brand of Volkswagon...

CONFIRMED: Audi/Volkswagen IS coming to the area!

Okay, so I touched base one more time with my sources yesterday and ironically one of them had just spoken to a contact of their own who works for Audi/Volkswagen in Detroit and had been told (again) that Audi/Volkswagen was definitely building a new manufacturing facility in the Upstate area...with an official announcement coming soon.

From what I learned, the location will be in Anderson County somewhere near Hwy. 86 (I am not all too familiar with the Anderson County area so does that highway # sound correct?) on an estimated 700 acres of land. Fortunately for our area this spot was selected for the facility by narrowly beating out a site just over the state line in neighboring Georgia. Woo hoo!

My source tells me that this was the original site that BMW wanted to build on but did not? I wasn't around the area when BMW was looking for locations years ago so I don't know if that is true or not? Anyone know more about that tidbit?

SO, yippie we landed yet another huge company in the area. My source said that with Audi/Volkswagen looking to revamp their Audi line to better compete on the luxury car level, in addition to this area already having BMW (with it's established foundation of suppliers, roadways, etc. in place already to build off of) as well as being so close to the Mercedes plant in Alabama, and lastly with the current value of the euro compared to the dollar being such a deal that now is the time to move forward with their long-desired US plant. (Supposedly I learned, they were wanting to come to this area about 3 years ago but pulled out since the timing wasn't right?)

One more thing...from what I hear high-level associates at BMW are already submitting their resumes to Audi/Volkswagen!

I'd say you've got some pretty darned good sources there, V.70-8. You can bet that Powdersville and the Southern Connector will see some explosive growth as a result of this. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I normally don't have many sources on things discussed on this site compared to a lot of you guys, but on this one a few seemed to randomly fall into my lap.

I agree with you that the Powdersville/Southern Connector area will explode with growth in the coming years. Maybe now at least there will be more people using the Southern Connector on a daily basis, lol?

From what I learned, the location will be in Anderson County somewhere near Hwy. 86 (I am not all too familiar with the Anderson County area so does that highway # sound correct?) on an estimated 700 acres of land.

One more thing...from what I hear high-level associates at BMW are already submitting their resumes to Audi/Volkswagen!

My wife and I used to be members of a small Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church on Highway 86 until we were asked if we would be part of a mission church starting up in the Northern Greenville area (we currently meet at the Hampton Inn in Travelers Rest on Sunday mornings). The Church we attended was right off of I-85 on the right going towards Atlanta. Highway 86 however goes through Piedmont,SC just south of the Southern Connector and almost to Easley where it turns into Highway 8. The area our old church was at was technically in the Wren area (which includes Wren Middle and High School) which is definitely in Anderson County. This area also is the location of Channel 4's Weather Radar, Maynards Furniture and a Budwiser distribution plant.

Thanks. I normally don't have many sources on things discussed on this site compared to a lot of you guys, but on this one a few seemed to randomly fall into my lap.

I agree with you that the Powdersville/Southern Connector area will explode with growth in the coming years. Maybe now at least there will be more people using the Southern Connector on a daily basis, lol?

That sounds GREAT! I hope we will hear something official soon!

And I agree that explosive growth will definitely result. With the growth of Mauldin/Simpsonville, I can easily see the Southern Connector becoming a much more important commuting route. Three cheers for all of this! :alc: And depending on where employees live, this could either tie the counties of Greenville and Anderson back together, OR make Anderson more independent... Plus! important people coming into the Upstate to go to the new facility will have to drive ALL the way through bustling and growing Greenville! Ok, pinching myself to stop day dreaming and reminding myself that nothing has been officially made public yet. Ok. Sorry, I got carried away thinking about what happened last time a major car manufacturer came to the area...

Thanks for the scoop. :good:

WOW....I live off the highway 86 exit. That is going to cause some major developement in Piedmont, SC if it gets built. I can see the population skyrocketing sort of like Greer has. That is almost on the Greenville/Anderson line. Great for Anderson.

Okay, so I touched base one more time with my sources yesterday and ironically one of them had just spoken to a contact of their own who works for Audi/Volkswagen in Detroit and had been told (again) that Audi/Volkswagen was definitely building a new manufacturing facility in the Upstate area...with an official announcement coming soon.

Do you think an October announcement will happen?

Do any of you think or know, if this is Project Skyline? Project Skyline still feels like yet another project. :dontknow:

Do you think an October announcement will happen?

Do any of you think or know, if this is Project Skyline? Project Skyline still feels like yet another project. :dontknow:

I can see why they would call it Project Skyline however. If it's the area I am thinking about it does sit up on a hill and gives a good view of downtown Greenville, etc. In fact I think someone posted a photo of the view from I-85 in this area looking into downtown Greenville.

^ That's why I think Project Skyline is still something different (also the total dollars with Skyline just seems too much even for a large manufacturing plant). :dontknow:

If VW/Audi builds the plant, ICAR could be invloved with a headquarters. :dontknow:

I love the location.....just two exits and 4 miles down from the where the Southern Connector / 185 meet 85. It could turn the whole Powdersville area into another Greer or Golden Strip.

Anything else you can tell us Version 70-8?

This sounds like some good stuff! Hope it all comes about as announced. I'd been thinking about possible car manufacturers that could want a manufacturing facility in North America, but Audi never crossed my mind. This will keep BMW on their toes for sure.

Project Skyline sounds like a separate development altogether, at least to me.

My source tells me that this was the original site that BMW wanted to build on but did not? I wasn't around the area when BMW was looking for locations years ago so I don't know if that is true or not? Anyone know more about that tidbit?

SO, yippie we landed yet another huge company in the area. My source said that with Audi/Volkswagen looking to revamp their Audi line to better compete on the luxury car level, in addition to this area already having BMW (with it's established foundation of suppliers, roadways, etc. in place already to build off of) as well as being so close to the Mercedes plant in Alabama, and lastly with the current value of the euro compared to the dollar being such a deal that now is the time to move forward with their long-desired US plant. (Supposedly I learned, they were wanting to come to this area about 3 years ago but pulled out since the timing wasn't right?)

BMW definitely did look at Anderson County before going to Greer instead.

Audi has been mentioned for a plant both 3 or so years ago, as well as before that. There is a site in Summerville that was the runner-up for the Mercedes plant that instead went to Alabama. That same Summerville site was rumored to be prosected by Audi, but that was at least a decade ago.

Thanks for the scoop. Let's all keep our fingers crossed that everything works out.

I personally don't see how this can be related to Project Skyline, unless VW is the Corporate HQ that has been mentioned as a potential piece of Project Skyline. Most of Project Skyline is real estate development. Perhaps a major developer is going to do a major project and is incorporating a VW HQ as an 'anchor' tenant for the office component. However, the article seems to say that the VW HQ project is in Michigan.

My thoughts on whether this is part of Project Skyline or not...I suspect that this may very well be part of Project Skyline.

Keep in mind that at least one of the documents we've seen from the Greenville City Web Site pertaining to Project Skyline stated something about a "Multi-County" Park. Someone had suspected that this was somehow referring to the Greenville-Laurens County Line area, but I don't believe anybody had even considered Greenville-Anderson. I know the thought hadn't crossed my mind, for whatever reasons.

Additionally, a manufacturing facility would have a huge economic impact and could very possibly be one of the three components of Project Skyline...another component could be the relocation of a Corporate Headquarters from Auburn Hills to CU-ICAR or even the Point (one or more of the McChesney towers)?

What the third component could be? I dunno.

P.S. Do we maybe want to create a separate thread for this discussion or just keep it as part of the rumor mill for now?

My thoughts on whether this is part of Project Skyline or not...I suspect that this may very well be part of Project Skyline.

Keep in mind that at least one of the documents we've seen from the Greenville City Web Site pertaining to Project Skyline stated something about a "Multi-County" Park. Someone had suspected that this was somehow referring to the Greenville-Laurens County Line area, but I don't believe anybody had even considered Greenville-Anderson. I know the thought hadn't crossed my mind, for whatever reasons.

Additionally, a manufacturing facility would have a huge economic impact and could very possibly be one of the three components of Project Skyline...another component could be the relocation of a Corporate Headquarters from Auburn Hills to CU-ICAR or even the Point (one or more of the McChesney towers)?

What the third component could be? I dunno.

P.S. Do we maybe want to create a separate thread for this discussion or just keep it as part of the rumor mill for now?

Great points RT! Lots of pieces to think about....quite the puzzle.

Could the third component be a testing facility / track? :dontknow: BMW has their test track and facility as a separate entity on the other side of 101.

PS: I'd like to see a VW/Audi thread.

Edited by gsupstate

Haven't checked this out, but where does Audi currently import their cars? Jacksonville by any chance? It's a hug port for automobile imports for various brands. Don't know about Audi, just guessing. Anyone know what port Audi uses? :dontknow:

Their Mid-Atlantic Port is Wilmington, DE. The South-Atlantic Port is, I believe, Bruswick, GA...I say this because of the number of times I've seen car haulers loaded down with VWs approaching I-95 while sitting at one of my favorite fuel stops there.

Jacksonville's the port of entry for Nissan/Infinity...not sure if there are others? :dontknow:

Their Mid-Atlantic Port is Wilmington, DE. The South-Atlantic Port is, I believe, Bruswick, GA...I say this because of the number of times I've seen car haulers loaded down with VWs approaching I-95 while sitting at one of my favorite fuel stops there.

Jacksonville's the port of entry for Nissan/Infinity...not sure if there are others? :dontknow:

Toyota uses the port of Jacksonville.