The Rumor Mill

btoy

I hope no one gets mad at me but I really think the guy who told me about BMW's deal with the state is in the position to know such things. I can't tell you to much because it would reveal who he is. I was not trying to stir up any anger by passing along what I was told.

I certainly don't think anyone is angry or holds anything against you. We all understand you are passing along info. as it was told to you, by what you view as a credible source.

I do admit that I think the state would be foolish to make such a commitment though. Plus,it does seem as though such an agreement would be anti-trust or violate commerce laws, but i certainly any not an expert on such things.

BTW, fellow Techie, hope your semester is going easier than mine . :shades:

I dont think any one is mad at you tech bus student you were passing info as you recieved it. However If this is true I don't see how it is legal or would stand up in court if challanged.As I understand it each municipality has the right to decide who or what gets developed in their community,and that the state does not have the authority to say no one else can move there business here.

• 1 month later...

So, anyone hear anymore on the VW/Audi rumors? This topic died.

I have heard that a developer has plans for new homes and/or condos off of Green/Ansel st. It wold invlolve the demo of some current structure(s). The city has apparently made an offer for the land and structure(s). Do not know a timetable for demo and construction, but apparently the plans call for a completion date of Spring 08'...

Freightliner is moving about 350 jobs to York County related to manufacturing. At the moment, Freightliner is keeping the headquarters in Portland, but in news articles, the CEO is quoted as being "open and looking" for a new headquarters location on the East Coast. He was quoted as saying South Carolina "already has incentives in play". Apparently Greenville is in the top running for a East Coast Headquarters. Anyone know more about this?

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/storie...29/daily28.html

• 3 weeks later...

CONFIRMED: Audi/Volkswagen IS coming to the area!

Okay, so I touched base one more time with my sources yesterday and ironically one of them had just spoken to a contact of their own who works for Audi/Volkswagen in Detroit and had been told (again) that Audi/Volkswagen was definitely building a new manufacturing facility in the Upstate area...with an official announcement coming soon.

From what I learned, the location will be in Anderson County somewhere near Hwy. 86 (I am not all too familiar with the Anderson County area so does that highway # sound correct?) on an estimated 700 acres of land. Fortunately for our area this spot was selected for the facility by narrowly beating out a site just over the state line in neighboring Georgia. Woo hoo!

My source tells me that this was the original site that BMW wanted to build on but did not? I wasn't around the area when BMW was looking for locations years ago so I don't know if that is true or not? Anyone know more about that tidbit?

SO, yippie we landed yet another huge company in the area. My source said that with Audi/Volkswagen looking to revamp their Audi line to better compete on the luxury car level, in addition to this area already having BMW (with it's established foundation of suppliers, roadways, etc. in place already to build off of) as well as being so close to the Mercedes plant in Alabama, and lastly with the current value of the euro compared to the dollar being such a deal that now is the time to move forward with their long-desired US plant. (Supposedly I learned, they were wanting to come to this area about 3 years ago but pulled out since the timing wasn't right?)

One more thing...from what I hear high-level associates at BMW are already submitting their resumes to Audi/Volkswagen!

Stefan Jacoby, Chief Executive of American Operations at Volkswagen, made a couple of statements recently at a couple of high profile auto summits / auto shows, that an announcement on the US factory would be made in Spring 2008. Reuters has reported this also. While Jacoby has not personally said South Carolina, multiple automotive sites and blogs have SC as the front runner. We should know something in the next 3 to 5 months.

Stefan Jacoby, Chief Executive of American Operations at Volkswagen, made a couple of statements recently at a couple of high profile auto summits / auto shows, that an announcement on the US factory would be made in Spring 2008. Reuters has reported this also. While Jacoby has not personally said South Carolina, multiple automotive sites and blogs have SC as the front runner. We should know something in the next 3 to 5 months.

Great info, gsupstate! Thanks! :thumbsup:

From what I have read it seems likely that the American operations officials are pushing hard for a US plant but some of the higher ups back in Germany have been hesitant. The recent rise of the Euro/Dollar exchange rate should be incentive to build in

America.

Here is some more confirmation that VW is looking to build a new plant.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/busine...,521138,00.html

The story is about German companies building outside Europe because the strength of the Euro is hurting their profits. Airbus may build an assembly plant in Alabama and VW is expected to build in North America.

-------------

"Meanwhile, Volkswagen is also looking to build a factory in North America in order to minimize the hit it might take should the euro remain strong. "Our scouts are looking intensively for possible sites in the US and Mexico," Jochen Heizmann, VW's head of production, told the industry weekly Automobilwoche over the weekend. He said the company needed to develop production capacity outside the euro zone.

The move had been hinted at in mid-November by the head of Volkswagen of America, Stefan Jacoby. He said that the factory would likely be built in the Eastern Time Zone to facilitate communications with the mother ship in Germany, but no concrete plans have been mentioned. Jacoby said at the November Los Angeles Auto Show that an announcement on a North American factory would be made within the next six months."

CompUSA is going out of business. All remaining stores to close. Where's a Mac person gonna go now? :blink:

Source (Wall Street Journal)

They closed all the ones up here in March. The last one that I was aware of was in Salem, NH, and I think that the one in Nashua had already closed. This is going to be either a major(?) pain in the ass for the mac heads, and a boost and an answer to prayer to the tiny Mac store that at Batesville at Parkway.

They closed all the ones up here in March. The last one that I was aware of was in Salem, NH, and I think that the one in Nashua had already closed. This is going to be either a major(?) pain in the ass for the mac heads, and a boost and an answer to prayer to the tiny Mac store that at Batesville at Parkway.

I am pretty sure the IPlace on Batesville at The Parkway is gone. I think I recall hearing it moved ... maybe to somewhere on Pelham Rd.

You are correct, crescentmoon. The information is on the store's website. ;)

It really bothers me that they don't have Leopard or anything listed from Adobe's CS3 line on their site. Not sure if they are not updating their site or they are just not carrying that. I even have those items listed on my Amazon A-Store.

I really admire the work Bobby has been doing at the CompUSA Apple Shop. From what I understand the Greenville store was one of the best performers as far as Apple product sales goes but sadly that didn't mean very high margins for CompUSA itself. Not only has he been been a good mananger and sales person in the Store but his community involvement in local Mac user groups has been above and beyond.

Rumor has it according to other Mac sites that CompUSA shops will probably move over to Best Buys. I sure hope Apple build a store here sooner than later. I'm not the biggest fan of Best Buy plus I don't look forward to going to the shops at gridlock.

I'm not a Mac user, so I cannot comment on CompUSA's services for Mac owners, but overall I always thought that CompUSA was overpriced with spotty service. Many people I spoke with felt the same way, so it's not surprising that they did not do well as a chain. Hopefully someone good will fill the large building where they were located in Greenville.

I'm not a Mac user, so I cannot comment on CompUSA's services for Mac owners, but overall I always thought that CompUSA was overpriced with spotty service. Many people I spoke with felt the same way, so it's not surprising that they did not do well as a chain. Hopefully someone good will fill the large building where they were located in Greenville.

I was bascially commenting on the Apple Shop at CompUSA and not the rest of the store. Personally I find it very annoying that they located the CompUSA in the far corner of a parking lot. As I understand it the Apple sales have been very good there despite the location (the far corner of a store in the far corner of a parking lot of an abandoned mall.)

It really bothers me that they don't have Leopard or anything listed from Adobe's CS3 line on their site. Not sure if they are not updating their site or they are just not carrying that. I even have those items listed on my Amazon A-Store.

I really admire the work Bobby has been doing at the CompUSA Apple Shop. From what I understand the Greenville store was one of the best performers as far as Apple product sales goes but sadly that didn't mean very high margins for CompUSA itself. Not only has he been been a good mananger and sales person in the Store but his community involvement in local Mac user groups has been above and beyond.

Rumor has it according to other Mac sites that CompUSA shops will probably move over to Best Buys. I sure hope Apple build a store here sooner than later. I'm not the biggest fan of Best Buy plus I don't look forward to going to the shops at gridlock.

I'm guessing since Columbia didn't have a CompUSA store explains why I never knew people went there for Mac stuff. I've noticed when i'm in Columbia, Charleston and even Savannah that the Best Buy stores have had Mac area's in them for some time now. So i'm pretty sure that it's been in Apple's plans for some time to move all the stores to Best Buy considering Best Buy has move foot traffic and is currently the better company. I think that's a smart move on Apple's part but none-the-less i hate to see a company [CompUSA] go out of business though...but i guess that's the nature of business.