The Rumor Mill

btoy

I heard an interesting rumor this past weekend that caught my attention, given our discussion on here some time ago about the lack of a serious theme park or water park in the vacinity.

The rumor is that someone is looking into the prospect of opening a Kalahari Resort near I-385/I-85 (at the Point, I suspect).

Wow, that would be amazing! It would give us a true attraction for the summer months, and would appeal to both residents and visitors. Plus, it would be visible from the interstate. :thumbsup:

I heard an interesting rumor this past weekend that caught my attention, given our discussion on here some time ago about the lack of a serious theme park or water park in the vacinity.

The rumor is that someone is looking into the prospect of opening a Kalahari Resort near I-385/I-85 (at the Point, I suspect).

That sounds like a horrible idea to me. That the park itself but that location, I think that should be something much more Urban like The Point Project from McKlesky. This would be better somewhere else I would think.

That sounds like a horrible idea to me. That the park itself but that location, I think that should be something much more Urban like The Point Project from McKlesky. This would be better somewhere else I would think.

I would prefer it be somewhere besides The Point too, but if that's what it takes to have something like this then I am okay with it. I would love for The Point development by McChesney to happen, but last we heard it's dead. Even if it were still on the table, how long would we be willing to wait for it to come to fruition? Based on the economy and our region's market, that project doesn't seem doable right now...

It'd be a great addition to the region's offerings in the tourism sector, and if tourist want to take part, then could it really be in a better location than along the BRT route? Visitors downtown could easily access anything at the Point via the transit line when it gets developed by the City.

Hopefully attractions, such as this or otherwise, will align themselves along the future route. In that sense, I can't think of a better location.

So is a Kalahari Resort like a water version of "Frankie's Fun Park"?

I only know first-hand of the one up near Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio. That one is nothing like Frankie's Fun Park. It's more akin to Wet N' Wild or Wild Waters or Schlitterbahn or the like...then combine that with a resort and spa.

I could honestly think of better uses for the point, but then again, this sort of goes with the original plans for that area (with the proposed G-Braves Ballpark and the family fun type attractions and shopping/dining).

This is very much through the grape vine, but it's worth a share anyway... I hear that someone is buying or has bought Crossroads Apartments (corner of Faris Rd and Cleveland Street). What I'm hearing is that changes will be coming to that site in the form of demolition and new development... :dontknow:

If it's true, then I hope whatever they build is DENSE considering that it's both along the current GreenLink route, and along the trail system that will run from Conestee to TR.

This is very much through the grape vine, but it's worth a share anyway... I hear that someone is buying or has bought Crossroads Apartments (corner of Faris Rd and Cleveland Street). What I'm hearing is that changes will be coming to that site in the form of demolition and new development... :dontknow:

If it's true, then I hope whatever they build is DENSE considering that it's both along the current GreenLink route, and along the trail system that will run from Conestee to TR.

Speaking of the interesection of Faris and Cleveland Street. Anyone know what the deal is with the very wide asphalt "sidewalks"? It looks just like the Swamp Rabbit Trail that begins at Linky Stone but since it's both on Faris and Cleveland it doesn't appear to be continueous.

Speaking of the interesection of Faris and Cleveland Street. Anyone know what the deal is with the very wide asphalt "sidewalks"? It looks just like the Swamp Rabbit Trail that begins at Linky Stone but since it's both on Faris and Cleveland it doesn't appear to be continueous.

That's exactly what is it. It runs up Cleveland Street, turns onto Faris and then follows the River to downtown. It will eventually cross the Reedy along Cleveland and go to Greenville Tech before continuing further southeast. It looks very nice at the intersection where decorative light posts have been added, as well as benches.

• 1 month later...

Heard today from a reliable source, that Peter (of Lieu's and Azia) is getting serious about a third location downtown. We had all heard this about a year ago, but it has new legs. Due to the success of Azia, I am hearing his new place refered to as Azia 2 (just a code name). Anyone know what location downtown he may be looking at?

Heard today from a reliable source, that Peter (of Lieu's and Azia) is getting serious about a third location downtown. We had all heard this about a year ago, but it has new legs. Due to the success of Azia, I am hearing his new place refered to as Azia 2 (just a code name). Anyone know what location downtown he may be looking at?

I've heard really great things about Azia. I'm sure a downtown location would be well supported based on their other restaurants' successes. We've discussed that all of North Main is pretty much occupied. Maybe they could do something with Kimbrell's old space? I'm sure there's a West End building begging for renovation, too. The Terrace at Riverplace still has that second floor (comparable to The Lazy Goat's space) open right? I'd really love for a two or three story building to be constructed next to Subway in the West End... These are all just my wishes, based on no information.

I know a few years ago about 80 restaurants were downtown, according to the City. Does anyone know if it's still close to that or where we stand today in total offerings? I would think it'd be closer to 90-100 today. I'd like to know.

He (Peter) owns a piece of land in West End on S. Main near Rio Grill. It has a very small metal building on it. Recently, he filed with the DPC to tear that building down.

I saw that, but I didn't know who the person was. That's great if he plans to open one there. We need some more stuff deep in the West End like that. Thanks for the insight, btoy. :shades:

He (Peter) owns a piece of land in West End on S. Main near Rio Grill. It has a very small metal building on it. Recently, he filed with the DPC to tear that building down.

Thanks for the info!

This makes sense now why the person I spoke with called it "Azia 2", as it looks like it will be built from the ground up and not in an existing space. Hope the building looks as cool as the current Azia. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Someone posted on another website, that Greenville-Spartanburg is one of three Southeastern metros in the final running for a 500 employee FedEx hub (ground hub, not air).

Anyone know anything about this?

All I know is what was posted on that same site. We are supposedly in the running with a site in the Nashville metro as well as one in the Winston-Salem metro. The person who posted it stated that the Nashville incentive package was the best one on the table right now. Is that what you heard too?