The Rumor Mill

btoy

I wish it was going to be a Rave movie theater, but it's not going to be unfortunately. It will be a Great Escape Theater instead: http://www.greatescapetheaters.com/

Looked at their website, almost all locations are in the Midwest, maybe two in Georgia. They are leaving their regional boundaries by coming to Greenville. I don't know anything about this chain. Anyone ever been in one?

Looked at their website, almost all locations are in the Midwest, maybe two in Georgia. They are leaving their regional boundaries by coming to Greenville. I don't know anything about this chain. Anyone ever been in one?

The one over at Hamilton Mill (one exit or so North on I-85 from the Mall of Georgia) isn't that bad. Most multi-plexes are pretty much the same these days: huge screens and stadium seating. I was surprised when my wife told me that Cherrydale 16 is now a Regal and no longer Carmike? When did that happen?

The one over at Hamilton Mill (one exit or so North on I-85 from the Mall of Georgia) isn't that bad. Most multi-plexes are pretty much the same these days: huge screens and stadium seating. I was surprised when my wife told me that Cherrydale 16 is now a Regal and no longer Carmike? When did that happen?
Wasn't Cherrydale originally owned by Consolidated Theaters? The Camelot had reopened as a Carmike prior to its latest renovation a few years ago. Regal purchased Cherrydale over a year ago. There was a front page article in Greenville Journal shortly after the sale.

Wasn't Cherrydale originally owned by Consolidated Theaters? The Camelot had reopened as a Carmike prior to its latest renovation a few years ago. Regal purchased Cherrydale over a year ago. There was a front page article in Greenville Journal shortly after the sale.

Just goes to show you how long it's been since I have been to Cherrydale. Somehow the ever-increasing presence of Greenville County Sheriff Deputies over there advertised "it may be safer to just keep away and find entertainment elsewhere."

Just goes to show you how long it's been since I have been to Cherrydale. Somehow the ever-increasing presence of Greenville County Sheriff Deputies over there advertised "it may be safer to just keep away and find entertainment elsewhere."

I've seen just as many police at Hollywood 20 and other locations around town. Cherrydale however does border some of the rougher parts of town but I have never seen a police presence as "advertising" that the area is not safe. I see it as "advertising" they are trying to keep it safe.

I see a lot of police downtown too but we seem to all be big on going downtown.

Hot on the heels of Chipotle, I hear a deal is about to be inked for the first South Carolina location of Noodles & Company. Having a cult type following like Chipotle, this addition to Greenville should be very welcomed. I can't say anymore as it isn't a done deal, but it certainly looks promising. :thumbsup:

http://www.noodles.com/

Nice concept. ^_^

• 1 month later...

Hot on the heels of Chipotle, I hear a deal is about to be inked for the first South Carolina location of Noodles & Company. Having a cult type following like Chipotle, this addition to Greenville should be very welcomed. I can't say anymore as it isn't a done deal, but it certainly looks promising. :thumbsup:

http://www.noodles.com/

I do know Noodles & Company is looking at Greenville but do not know the area. Has anyone heard if they might be looking around The Point / Greenridge? They always seem to go in near Chipotle, targeting the same demographic and being basically being an Asian version of the Chipotle concept. I thought of this again yesterday while in Charlotte, as Chipotle and Noodles & Company are within one block of each other on South Blvd.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Best Buy last night and talking with one of their workers about my needs. Somehow in the conversation he mentioned the additional stores being opened in Greenville. I said store or stores....he said stores, as in two new locations. I asked him the locations, he didn't know. I'm aware of the one in the new shopping center in Easley. Anyone know where the other new Best Buy would be locating?

I do know Noodles & Company is looking at Greenville but do not know the area. Has anyone heard if they might be looking around The Point / Greenridge? They always seem to go in near Chipotle, targeting the same demographic and being basically being an Asian version of the Chipotle concept. I thought of this again yesterday while in Charlotte, as Chipotle and Noodles & Company are within one block of each other on South Blvd.

Any more information on this? Looks like something I would enjoy.

Best Buy just announced huge expense cuts, including layoffs. I doubt they will be building any new stores for a year or so. I do know from pretty good sources that the Taylors project is on hold.

They've already signed a lease with Easley Town Center so that store is moving forward. The Wade Hampton project is scheduled to start construction in eight months. Best Buy is slated as a tenant currently for it. Due to Circuit City shuttering all of their stores, Best Buy is able to increase the number of stores it has in certain markets including this one.

Edited by citylife

So are they actually constructing the Easley store right now? If not, don't be surprised if things have changed with that plan, regardless of whether or not they signed a pre-lease agreement. It is an absolutely terrible time to be a national retailer. Unemployment is steadily rising nationwide and that translates into much less spending by consumers. Even those of us who are fortunate to still have a job are spending less than usual on excessive items - much less in many cases.

In other words, business expansion, especially in the retail industry, is extremely risky in this economy.

So are they actually constructing the Easley store right now? If not, don't be surprised if things have changed with that plan, regardless of whether or not they signed a pre-lease agreement. It is an absolutely terrible time to be a national retailer. Unemployment is steadily rising nationwide and that translates into much less spending by consumers. Even those of us who are fortunate to still have a job are spending less than usual on excessive items - much less in many cases.

In other words, business expansion, especially in the retail industry, is extremely risky in this economy.

They haven't started constructing the store yet due to sewer/utility work taking place on site currently. The store will be around 30,000 square feet in size and will be located next to Kohl's. It will open in third quarter 2010. It's a terrible time to be Walmart, Costco, Ross, Sam's Club, and Kohl's right now? :blink: Last time I checked, those stores and others were doing really well in this economy. Yes expansion can be extremely risky, but if you locate your store in the right area than it can be very rewarding. That's why they study sites extensively before moving forward.

They haven't started constructing the store yet due to sewer/utility work taking place on site currently. The store will be around 30,000 square feet in size and will be located next to Kohl's. It will open in third quarter 2010. It's a terrible time to be Walmart, Costco, Ross, Sam's Club, and Kohl's right now? :blink: Last time I checked, those stores and others were doing really well in this economy. Yes expansion can be extremely risky, but if you locate your store in the right area than it can be very rewarding. That's why they study sites extensively before moving forward.
While Wal-Mart may be doing better than most retailers simply because of its size and array of cheap imported products from China, they did not meet sales expectations for March.
Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT) reported March same-store sales below analysts' expectations, and numerous other retailers missed downbeat estimates as consumer spending continues to drop.

Any more information on this? Looks like something I would enjoy.

Haven't heard anymore other than the fact they are looking to enter the Greenville market. I have no idea the location....would love to know. My gut instinct tells me they'll settle somewhere in the area of Greenridge / The Point, as their target demographic is the same as Chipotle, Whole Foods, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

We were at dinner with friends tonight and they said there were a couple of news blurbs this evening about GM looking at the Greenville area (if it goes bankrupt, coming back and moving some operations to the South, as a way around unions). I didn't believe them, but they both said it was on a couple of news stations. Anyone heard any rumors like this? I was pretty skeptical, but they were both serious. :dontknow:

We were at dinner with friends tonight and they said there were a couple of news blurbs this evening about GM looking at the Greenville area (if it goes bankrupt, coming back and moving some operations to the South, as a way around unions). I didn't believe them, but they both said it was on a couple of news stations. Anyone heard any rumors like this? I was pretty skeptical, but they were both serious. :dontknow:

There was a story on WYFF about it. Upstate leaders are in contact with GM currently.

There was a story on WYFF about it. Upstate leaders are in contact with GM currently.

Thanks. Did the story say if there was any real interest on GM's part (did they approach SC), or is this something being pitched to GM by SC (we approached them)?

^I would like to know the same. GM would be big for us, especially if we drew some white collar jobs too.

In related automotive news, does anyone know if Carbon Motors has narrowed down their list of potential cities? They seem impressed with Greenville. This would be 10,000 jobs, guys! :shok:

http://www.carbonmotors.com/blog/29/Site-S...-10000-New-Jobs

Edited by Greenville