The Rumor Mill

btoy

Reading The Greenville News a day or so ago, I noticied in the classifieds section that Trader Joe's East has applied for the sell and consumption of alcoholic beverage off the premises for a site on Woodruff Industrial Lane. If Trader Joe's East is the operating company for Trader Joe's stores in the eastern United States, it may be possible to see one adjacent to Academy Sports & Outdoors in the near future.

Edited by BoDragon

Reading The Greenville News a day or so ago, I noticied in the classifieds section that Trader Joe's East has applied for the sell and consumption of alcoholic beverage off the premises for a site on Woodruff Industrial Lane. If Trader Joe's East is the operating company for Trader Joe's stores in the eastern United States, it may be possible to see one adjacent to Academy Sports & Outdoors in the near future.

Kind of like this: http://www.ci.woodbu...2006/ccl/7h.htm whistling.gifwink.gif

Edited by citylife

This is an excellent sign, given that such a large percentage of Trader Joes business is through the sale of wine from their large / unique wine selection.

So I don't have to drive to Charlotte any more for Two Buck Chuck? (And chocolate-covered everything!) Woo-hoo!

yahoo.gif

I think the location is a bit disappointing, but it would be exciting to see a Trader Joe's in town.

One bright spot on location I thought about. Due to the smaller format of Trader Joes, they tend to open multiple locations in the cities they go into. I could easily see three Greenville locations.....Woodruff, Downtown and/or Augusta Street, and possibly somewhere further down the Golden Strip.

One bright spot on location I thought about. Due to the smaller format of Trader Joes, they tend to open multiple locations in the cities they go into. I could easily see three Greenville locations.....Woodruff, Downtown and/or Augusta Street, and possibly somewhere further down the Golden Strip.

I was thinking the same thing. They are probably wanting to see how their first location in Greenville does. Once it does well (and it will), they will open a second, third, etc. I still hope that Trader Joe's can be part of a mixed-use development in the Stone Avenue area. I think that location would draw from the North Main residents, as well as people who live downtown, as well as in the subdivisions along Wade Hampton. And of course it would also be a nice catalyst for the Stone Avenue master plan. :)

I was thinking the same thing. They are probably wanting to see how their first location in Greenville does. Once it does well (and it will), they will open a second, third, etc. I still hope that Trader Joe's can be part of a mixed-use development in the Stone Avenue area. I think that location would draw from the North Main residents, as well as people who live downtown, as well as in the subdivisions along Wade Hampton. And of course it would also be a nice catalyst for the Stone Avenue master plan. :)

Stone Avenue would be perfect for a downtown location. The visions for Stone Avenue remind me a lot of the other Trader Joes locations that I've visited.

With Uptown on my mind, I would also like to see a Trader Joes locating in a new urbanized, pedestrian-friendly Haywood Rd district. I think Haywood has a strong potential to attract young professionals.

Just to help beat the Trader Joe's point to death - I stopped by the vacant store between Academy Sports and Eyes in Motion this weekend. The space is long, thin, with a very high ceiling. My first thought was that it would be a great basketball court. Not the usual layout for a TJ's.

Which raises the following dumb question: After crossing over Woodruff and into the Magnolia Park area - is that road still named "Woodruff Industrial?" (You know the street - the one that curves behind McDonalds and clogs up after each movie ends...)

If so, then it would probably indicate that Trader Joe's is going to go ahead and build in the Magnolia Park development rather than next to Academy. Many have speculated from the plans that TJ's would be located behind Rooms To Go, near Costco.

I'm doing too much thinking just for a grocery store, huh?

Yeah, I need to get out more.

Just to help beat the Trader Joe's point to death - I stopped by the vacant store between Academy Sports and Eyes in Motion this weekend. The space is long, thin, with a very high ceiling. My first thought was that it would be a great basketball court. Not the usual layout for a TJ's.

Which raises the following dumb question: After crossing over Woodruff and into the Magnolia Park area - is that road still named "Woodruff Industrial?" (You know the street - the one that curves behind McDonalds and clogs up after each movie ends...)

If so, then it would probably indicate that Trader Joe's is going to go ahead and build in the Magnolia Park development rather than next to Academy. Many have speculated from the plans that TJ's would be located behind Rooms To Go, near Costco.

I'm doing too much thinking just for a grocery store, huh?

Yeah, I need to get out more.

There is more than one empty space next to Academy which would be combined for Trader Joes. Actual address of TJ's according to alcohol permit is 59 Woodruff Industrial Lane which is the exact same address as Academy.

There is more than one empty space next to Academy which would be combined for Trader Joes. Actual address of TJ's according to alcohol permit is 59 Woodruff Industrial Lane which is the exact same address as Academy.

Eyes in Motion opened on the end of the small stores. Anyone have a plan of the Academy/small retail store development? I'd love to see what square footage the remaining spaces add up to.

After crossing over Woodruff and into the Magnolia Park area - is that road still named "Woodruff Industrial?" (You know the street - the one that curves behind McDonalds and clogs up after each movie ends...)

No. Woodruff Industrial Lane exists only on the southern side of Woodruff Road. The unnamed road on the northern side is the primary access of the Shops at Plazagreen.

Eyes in Motion opened on the end of the small stores. Anyone have a plan of the Academy/small retail store development? I'd love to see what square footage the remaining spaces add up to.

Yes they did but there is a space between them and Academy that's around 9,000 square feet along with two other spaces behind Eyes in Motion that are both around 2,500 square feet which all could be combined for Trader Joes. Click on "flyer" on the first property listing here to see what I mean: http://www.hughescom...m/for-lease.php smile.gif

Edited by citylife

Yes they did but there is a space between them and Academy that's around 9,000 square feet along with two other spaces behind Eyes in Motion that are both around 2,500 square feet which all could be combined for Trader Joes. Click on "flyer" on the first property listing here to see what I mean: http://www.hughescom...m/for-lease.php smile.gif

citylife - you continue to amaze! Good link with the available retail space PDF. I completely missed those side spaces by "Eyes." Duh!

So Trader Joe's could be facing Woodruff Road right there by the intersections with I-85, Magnolia Park, and Woodruff Industrial? And folks will most likely try to use the entrance without the light?

Whew. I was worried for a moment there. Thank goodness there's no traffic problems in that area! </playful_sarcasm>

More good rumor/news on food markets...

In Whole Foods tonight...chatting with a manager....they verified that Trader Joe's is indeed coming. They are well aware.

Whole Foods is also looking at a possible second location in the Greenville area. Whole Foods just purchased Greenlife in Asheville and the Greenlife store will become a Whole Foods. http://www.greenlifegrocery.com/www/docs/1 That will put one Whole Foods in Greenville and one in Asheville. To take advantage of scale and the same media market, Whole Foods is looking at one additional store for the Greenville area and one additional store for the Asheville area. Whole Foods will now be asking for your phone number when you check out, to determine what area shoppers in the current store come from and guide them on a location for an additional store. That was the word to me.

In Whole Foods tonight...chatting with a manager....they verified that Trader Joe's is indeed coming. They are well aware.

Whole Foods is also looking at a possible second location in the Greenville area. Whole Foods just purchased Greenlife in Asheville and the Greenlife store will become a Whole Foods. http://www.greenlifegrocery.com/www/docs/1 That will put one Whole Foods in Greenville and one in Asheville. To take advantage of scale and the same media market, Whole Foods is looking at one additional store for the Greenville area and one additional store for the Asheville area. Whole Foods will now be asking for your phone number when you check out, to determine what area shoppers in the current store come from and guide them on a location for an additional store. That was the word to me.

That sounds excellent!

Too much of the I-85 corridor seems to be easily accessible to the current store. I wonder if we'll see a second location come further away from the interstate and closer to downtown (meaning pretty much anything a mile or more from 85)?

Dreaming here, but If parking could be worked out (structured in some way), a good urban-setup location on Augusta could be nice. Lewis Plaza area? End Dream.

Well, that is interesting news! We have been talking about the possibility of Whole Foods adding a second Greenville location (which I believe you originally brought up), so it is interesting to hear that substantiated by the manager.

As for locations, a downtown location would be my first choice. I can see them being a great anchor in the Washington Square development, provided that ample parking is available in a very nearby building (for ease of loading/unloading groceries). :shades:

If not downtown, Whole Foods would be a huge boon for the Cherrydale area. Although it is not the shopping destination that Woodruff Road is, it is established enough to be a good location for them. It would draw from Paris Mountain residents, Montebello residents, and perhaps others from that side of town.

What is everyone else thinking?

Well, that is interesting news! We have been talking about the possibility of Whole Foods adding a second Greenville location (which I believe you originally brought up), so it is interesting to hear that substantiated by the manager.

As for locations, a downtown location would be my first choice. I can see them being a great anchor in the Washington Square development, provided that ample parking is available in a very nearby building (for ease of loading/unloading groceries). :shades:

If not downtown, Whole Foods would be a huge boon for the Cherrydale area. Although it is not the shopping destination that Woodruff Road is, it is established enough to be a good location for them. It would draw from Paris Mountain residents, Montebello residents, and perhaps others from that side of town.

What is everyone else thinking?

Cherrydale area as well for the same reasons you said. In addition, it would draw from the Taylors/Pebble Creek area too.