The Rumor Mill

btoy

Thanks Citylife! The Civitas website has design for the Greeville project on it that definately looks interesting in a good way (and provides a hint to the mixed use building) if up to date. It appears as though the building does not front Main St. and tapers back at an angle as it approaches the Piazza which I thought was a no-no though. I like the design WAY better than the old rendering when the project was first announced. I think that I see fabric awnings in the rendering that I assume must be a tie architecturally to texture mill history of the area (and provide shade, that place gets hot in July). I also like that there is still grass there, maybe they will move DTA back there from the Hyatt when it's complete.

You're welcome. :thumbsup: The site plan on Civitas's website is new and up to date. I believe the building and public space are designed the way they are to help draw in more foot traffic to the Piazza Bergamo area from Main Street.

Edited by citylife

Some phrases I found interesting from the Civitas website: "folded geomorphology of the peidmont region", "fabric of innovation", "new building for a local University", "commercial tenants, community space, new retail and entertainment opportunities", "vibrant center", "weaving together people and activity, sun and shade, water and gardens", "contemporary technologies, form and materials"

Sounds like a winner to me ;)

post-20923-0-00413900-1295909296_thumb.j

Some phrases I found interesting from the Civitas website: "folded geomorphology of the peidmont region", "fabric of innovation", "new building for a local University", "commercial tenants, community space, new retail and entertainment opportunities", "vibrant center", "weaving together people and activity, sun and shade, water and gardens", "contemporary technologies, form and materials"

Sounds like a winner to me ;)

Excellent find. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

What would Clemson move into this building? Was the Bowater building simply a temporary move?

Civitas is just planning Piazza Bergamo and not the buildings that will surround it as part of Washington Square, correct? This rendering doesn't show much, but from what I can tell it does indeed look innovative and unique. :thumbsup:

Correct. Civitas is designing the Piazza Bergamo public use space while 4240 Architecture is designing the mixed-use building(s) planned for the site. They are working in conjugation together with help from the developers and city to make everything at Washington Square flow really well once it gets built. :)

• 1 month later...

There seems to be some activity at the old China Garden (formerly Garcia's Mexican) on Orchard Park drive off of Haywood. Someone actually cleaned the old joint up, and I see the "AVAILABLE" sign is gone. Does anyone have any knowledge about a new tenant, or are they just sprucing the old girl up to give her some curb appeal?

dontknow.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is some demolition going on on Butler Ave. between Hampton and Washington Streets. I believe the Catholic Church owns it. Does anyone know what might be going there?

I don't know if they're finally preparing the site for construction of their new sanctuary, but that is where their long-term plan showed it a few years ago. It will be much larger than the current church building.

StMarys.jpg

Edited by Skyliner

I don't know if they're finally preparing the site for construction of their new sanctuary, but that is where their long-term plan showed it a few years ago. It will be much larger than the current church building.

StMarys.jpg

I think it's kind of sad to see their sanctuary being taken off of Washington Street. It wouldn't be so bad if that parking lot wasn't proposed to exist between the sanctuary and Washington. It might be nice for their campus, but ultimately they need to exist, and exist WELL, in the greater urban fabric.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm more concerned with the building's exterior design (visual character) and the price range of these apartments (targeted clientele) than how tall it will be, although a minimum of four floors would be nice urban infill. As I've said elsewhere, the addition of new structures and façades that are uniquely creative with transgenerational appeal, like phase one of The Bookends, would be very nice in our downtown.

• 3 weeks later...