The Rumor Mill

btoy

• 2 weeks later...

Did you hear that CME Group, Inc., the Chicago company that operates the Chicago Mercantile Exchange has threatened to leave Illinois because of the new high taxes there?

They have admitted there have been informal discussions with some officials from other states about a possible move.

They employ about 2,000 in Illinois now but the two Exchanges they operate supposedly are responsible for 10s of thousands of jobs such as lawyers, bankers, financial experts, etc.

Now they haven't named any other states like Sears did and the chances of them coming here are even less than Sears, but hey, if you rumor then rumor big. :)

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/cme-has-talked-with-other-states-on-possible-move-2011-06-15

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I heard a juicy rumor that involves a new convention center on land along Church Street... My source is not you're average Joe...

Would this be another privately held convention venue like the old Palmetto Expo (or at least that's my understanding of what PEC was)? I'm for it, if it means structured parking, bringing in events that TDCC won't attract, and a solid urban model. Definitely a juicy rumor!

That would be excellent. :shades:

Another rumor: Nordstrom in negotiations to put a smaller format store at phase II of ONE according to a Greenville News business writer. Would be similar to how Saks Fifth Avenue did their Charleston store. Hughes originally tried to land them for Riverplace. This would be in addition to Barnes & Noble.

Edited by citylife

That would be excellent. :shades:

Another rumor: Nordstrom in negotiations to put a smaller format store at phase II of ONE according to a Greenville News business writer. Would be similar to how Saks Fifth Avenue did their Charleston store. Hughes originally tried to land them for Riverplace. This would be in addition to Barnes & Noble.

VERY interesting! A major retailer a full block off of Main Street? I like the idea of both rumors being shared this afternoon! I think bus station redevelopment wouldn't be far behind (and by redevelopment, I mean on top of the transit hub).

Edited by GvilleSC

Wow, talk about juicy rumors.

The Convention Center one doesn't make a lot of sense though. The city has long-term plans for TD CC and has already spent millions on it already. Plus, it is the largest center between DC and Atlanta. Before the city bought the Palmetto Expo Center, as it was then called, there was the idea to swap County Square for PEC with the county. The vast cost difference of renovating PEC versus building new, put the kabosh on the idea.

As for Nordstrom, that would be fantastic. It would have to be a pretty small format versus a normal department store. There is only 45k total retail planned, and the bookstore gets 10k of that, and Apothropolgie gets 6k. Some of the spaces are not contigiuous either.

As for Nordstrom, that would be fantastic. It would have to be a pretty small format versus a normal department store. There is only 45k total retail planned, and the bookstore gets 10k of that, and Apothropolgie gets 6k. Some of the spaces are not contigiuous either.

I might have falsely assumed this would be in the parking lot where the construction trailers are. In my mind, everything under construction right now should be called phase I. :rolleyes: I guess you can scratch my comment about it being a full block off Main. :blush:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is from the Journal TBA:

'Renovating a building for high-tech and innovative companies - akin to the NEXT building on Church Street - is being talked about for downtown.'

Anyone know any other details? Any suggestions for possible buildings for this?

I was trying to think of large vacant warehouse-ish buildings downtown. Something in the West End perhaps? Claussen Bakery, one of the many buildings around Rhett Street? Or maybe something in the North End/Stone Ave? I have NO idea.

Edit: no idea what kind of shape it's in, but the old Eight O'Clock sure could use some new life.

Edited by GvilleSC

• 2 weeks later...

I heard a very interesting rumor today that a hotel developer has the parcel on Washington Street (corner of Spring and Washington - currently being used as parking) under contract. I have no idea what the proposed flag is or if this is even true. Is anyone familiar with this? Great hotel site if in fact true.