The Rumor Mill

btoy

I heard a very interesting rumor today that a hotel developer has the parcel on Washington Street (corner of Spring and Washington - currently being used as parking) under contract. I have no idea what the proposed flag is or if this is even true. Is anyone familiar with this? Great hotel site if in fact true.

Well, that was one of my potential lottery jackpot development sites... oh well... :ermm:

Very intriguing! Is this a City-owned piece of land?

Vivian Wong currently owns the site and I know she is actively trying to sell it. I will try and find out some more details. Would love for a trendy hotel such as an Aloft or something along those lines. Even better would be a "W" but I think Greenville may still be too small of a market for a hotel of that caliber. Speaking of high end hotels, does anyone know when the Peacock's grand opening is?

Vivian Wong currently owns the site and I know she is actively trying to sell it. I will try and find out some more details. Would love for a trendy hotel such as an Aloft or something along those lines. Even better would be a "W" but I think Greenville may still be too small of a market for a hotel of that caliber. Speaking of high end hotels, does anyone know when the Peacock's grand opening is?

According to the Greenville GIS, this site is owned by Independence National Bank and has been since 2004. Are you sure it is the SE corner of Washington and Spring that the rumor is based on?

She (or the bank she has an interest in) purchased the .91 acre site in 2004 for $792k. The most recent asking price I came across was $2 million which is slightly over $50 psf which would be one of the higher comps downtown. It is obviously going to trade for less than that but will still be a big number. I would assume we will be seeing a rather tall hotel as they would have to incorporate multiple levels of structured parking and then go vertical in order to get the necessary density. I am realistic that putting a parcel of land is about only 5% of the process, but its fun to talk about! Hopefully this developer secures a construction loan before he breaks ground (unlike some project located a block away). I referenced the Peacock earlier and am still amazed by that entire process.

The rumor came from two pretty reliable sources that seem to know about every deal in Greenville.....one a lender and the other is a big construction guy. I only posted this because it came from two seperate parties.....but then again what I posted was only what they had heard. I'll do some more snooping.

Edited by Urban Infill

I'm hearing Hilton or Starwood brand for the hotel, but the person who told me said that he didn't know for sure. Has anyone else heard the same?

Of the Starwood brands, I could see Sheraton, aloft, or maybe W. I would personally love to see a W hotel, as it is nice and trendy, but not so trendy that it would look silly in Greenville and be unappealing to most visitors.

Regardless, this would be a great site for a hotel! :)

My guess would be JHM hotels with a Hilton Doubletree. Hilton would surely want a presence Downtown and JHM has the tools to do it.

Isn't JHM the owner of the downtown Hyatt? Do you think they're ready for another downtown project? They already have their hands full with that one.

I'm not that excited about a new hotel in any case. I'll never go into it. How about something for us residents? A small movie theater, a bookstore, a Trader Joes, a small bowling alley even. Tourists/visitors are good, but downtown needs to be more livable. We need more residential units and residential folks need things to do. Aside from the hotel bar, hotels are kind of dull.

^^ All of those things you mentioned would appeal to visitors and residents alike, so adding either visitors or residents creates demand for those things.

That said, I would like to see more rental units added to DT/West End, while that market is hot. Several are underway, but it would be great to see the 400+ units that are going to Verdae/ICAR-Laurens Rd. go to the core instead.

• Like 1

Is there any linkage between this project and the new federal building? I don't mean any sort of direct connection between the two, except in the sense that the developers may want to build near the proposed courthouse and offices project.

Is that current parking lot used mainly by people connected with the current federal building? I noticed in one of the internet map views that there was only 1 car parked in the parking lot when the overhead photo was made despite the fact that the other nearby lots were full or mostly full.

Is there any linkage between this project and the new federal building? I don't mean any sort of direct connection between the two, except in the sense that the developers may want to build near the proposed courthouse and offices project.

Speaking of that, the federal courthouse project has been cancelled for the time being: https://www.fbo.gov/...b=core&_cview=1 Bids for architectural design went out last year but then were rejected for some odd unknown reason. Maybe funding issues???

Edited by citylife

Speaking of that, the federal courthouse project has been cancelled for the time being: https://www.fbo.gov/...b=core&_cview=1 Bids for architectural design went out last year but then were rejected for some odd unknown reason. Maybe funding issues???

It'll be 2020 before Greenville gets an adequate Federal Courthouse. I hope the City doesn't plan on saving them a site if a better opportunity for development comes along.

You all probably remember my rumor regarding the USC Moore School of Business. Expect a Greenville News story on it coming downtown tomorrow (2-3-12). It will be much smaller than the Clemson business school in terms of size and number of students enrolled but should grow over time.

Edited by citylife

I have confirmed that JHM in the developer who has the site under contract. I'm not sure how I feel about the Hilton Doubletree. Their hotels in smaller markets are pretty bland, yet the ones in the city centers of larger markets are outstanding. Then again, the Hampton Inn and Courtyard Marriott in our downtown are outstanding for those brands. It will be interesting to follow this project. I would love for them to go a step up and build a Marriott. The one they renovated on Lockwood Drive in Charleston is very nice.