The Rumor Mill

btoy

Are these sites on Rhett street fairly close to the action on Main Street (i.e., ballpark) or are they buried in residential areas? I'm trying to picture these in my mind. I'm also trying to imagine how mid rise buildings (since I assume that's what they will be) will look in such a location. I guess someone has to be first with the height increases for that area, yes?

Yeah, they're only a short block off Main Street between Custom House and Drive ballpark. Oh and...

In the latter regard, the company has “for some time been sniffing around” Greenville for opportunities to build apartments and has in mind “a larger project that would add a meaningful number of units to the downtown market.”

But nothing is imminent, he said. “We are working on a couple of locations, but we’ve been chasing this for three years. That’s the nature of the commercial development business.”

Source: http://www.journalwatchdog.com/business/1430-taking-chances-in-tough-times

Edited by citylife

The major pieces of this puzzling rumor are finally surfacing. Using basic logic, I can safely assume Aughtry's plans include no less than approximately 200 units. Of course all of these numbers remain fluid and can change as needed prior to construction.

I'm not sure of the footprint of the building, but with 200 units we're talking about a very large structure, yes? Even 20 units per floor would total 10 floors.

That certainly sounds correct — otherwise, we could witness the development of yet another significant amount of vacant or under-utilized downtown space. Personally, I still wish to see the vacant lot at Main and Broad transformed into a vibrant mixed use building with ground-level retail on both streets and plenty of residential space rising above.

It sounds like Croft has everything in place to start construction pending approvals, and Hughes is next in line, assuming he is doing apartments and not an office or other use (or mixed use). The out of towner has a firm site in mind but is not ready for Design approval and has not closed on the site. Aughtry seems to be in the early stages and isn't committed to a particular site yet. The unmet demand might not be big enough to do his larges- of-all-plans, if his plans don't gel quickly.

Of course Aughtry may just being coy...

I guess we will see in th ecoming months which ones come to fruition.

Does anyone know how soon the city will be ready to fund the next phase of the RiverPlace garage? I assume they are waiting until Hughes is ready to resume construction on the site. I'm thinking a movie theatre or some other large entertainment complex would be a great addition to that area, in addition to more retail (including art studios), residential, and office space.

In the Greenville market, the downtown apartment activity is bustling. Hughes Investments recently delivered the Riverwalk at Riverplace, a mixed-use development that consists of 44 units as a New Markets Tax Credit deal. Davis Property Group’s 100 East project consisting of 48 units will boast a rooftop pool. Both are reported to be fully pre-leased and are good indicators for what current apartment demand looks like in our rapidly changing market. Subsequently, there are two new proposed developments with no less than 300 units combined now pursuing the downtown area.

Source: http://www.southeastrebusiness.com/articles/APR12/highlight1.html

Just to confuse everybody even more, I got in contact with NAI Earle Furman who wrote the piece I am quoting and the two projects planned they are referring to are for the 100 units at Croft's project and apparently the 200 units at GHS for USC medical students.

Just to confuse everybody even more, I got in contact with NAI Earle Furman who wrote the piece I am quoting and the two projects planned they are referring to are for the 100 units at Croft's project and apparently the 200 units at GHS for USC medical students.

200 units at GHS? Is the hospital really counted as a part of the downtown market for housing?

200 units at GHS? Is the hospital really counted as a part of the downtown market for housing?

Yep. Don't know the site or when construction could start though.. Wouldn't be surprised if the site is the unused parking lot between the old Blood Connection and power substation but that's just a guess. In NAI Earle Furman's eyes, GHS is counted as part of the downtown market.

Edited by citylife

I don't have all of the details but it looks like Windsor Aughtry is planning to build their apartment complex somewhere right near the Kroc Center and Reedy River on that side of Academy Street.

That would be good for the new park and the Swamp Rabbit Trail! I hope it's a really urban design...

CH2M Hill's current lease in Spartanburg runs out at the end of next year. I can't imagine Spartanburg letting them slip away, but they are apparently NOT exclusively looking at Spartanburg sites, although it's early... I hope they move to downtown Spartanburg if they stay put (as I don't advocate cannibalization of your neighbors), but if they leave for Greenville, then I hope they choose downtown over a suburban site. They'd be a nice size tenant for a certain rumored signature highrise, although the timing might not be perfect...

Edited by GvilleSC

The Rhett Street apartment project (not the Croft one) is slated to be 130 units. I also know who the developer is but I can't share that information at this time.

Do you have confirmation that it will go through the DRB in June? I'm looking forward to seeing what they're proposing...

I hope both projects get built (assuming, from what we can tell, the second one is as well designed as the first). It will be nice to have an additional 200+ units in the West End. With a greater residential establishment, I wonder if we might see a Walgreens open in the West End? The corner of Main and River would be a great spot.

Edited by GvilleSC

• 3 months later...

A few years back, pre-recession there had been rumors of Bass Pro Shop opening in Greenville/Greer. Also, Cabela's had looked at Charleston. Wasn't sure where to put this, but the search engine says there are references to B.P.S in this thread. Interesting read.

I was recently in Oklahoma City which has a B.P.S. Downtown.

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/jobs-and-economy/2012/08/why-have-so-many-cities-and-towns-given-away-so-much-money-bass-pro-shops-and-cabelas/2906/#

• 2 weeks later...

The search feature didn't bring up anything on this forum, but I heard from a random person that Southern Fried Cotton was opening up a retail store in downtown Greenville. Anyone else heard anything?

Further investigation reveals (through their Twitter account) that they might be the new tenant for the Barkery Bistro space! http://twitter.com/SoFriedCotton/status/232947335511031808/photo/1

My understanding is that this is affiliated with Tiger Town Graphics in Clemson. It will be nice to have a quality t-shirt company downtown. :thumbsup:

The search feature didn't bring up anything on this forum, but I heard from a random person that Southern Fried Cotton was opening up a retail store in downtown Greenville. Anyone else heard anything?

Further investigation reveals (through their Twitter account) that they might be the new tenant for the Barkery Bistro space! http://twitter.com/S...1031808/photo/1

My understanding is that this is affiliated with Tiger Town Graphics in Clemson. It will be nice to have a quality t-shirt company downtown. :thumbsup:

Yeah that has to be them. Good find!