The Rumor Mill

btoy

Getting DRB approval is taking longer than originally expected for the Lat Purser and Tom Croft projects. Apartment complex for Peacock sitwish should be going to the DRB within the next month or two. No clue on Bo Aughtry's potential project though.

Edited by citylife

Rumors have been circulating for a while now that one of the Hughes' has bought the Crossroads Apartment complex at Cleveland and Faris. Those same rumors suggested that upscale apartments would be developed.

This past week I was told that paying tenants have been given a date by which they have to be out of their units. I assume government-aided tenants will be the next to be relocated.

This will be an incredible location for some new apartments. There's not much in the way of new rentals in the Augusta Rd area, and this is a fantastic location with the Swamp Rabbit Trail. I hope whatever density might be developed will match that of the current complex or be higher.

A down side to this is that a lot of bus riders will be taken off that route. Hopefully the residents being relocated will still have access to public transportation.

Edited by GvilleSC

Rumors have been circulating for a while now that one of the Hughes' has bought the Crossroads Apartment complex at Cleveland and Faris. Those same rumors suggested that upscale apartments would be developed.

This past week I was told that paying tenants have been given a date by which they have to be out of their units. I assume government-aided tenants will be the next to be relocated.

This will be an incredible location for some new apartments. There's not much in the way of new rentals in the Augusta Rd area, and this is a fantastic location with the Swamp Rabbit Trail. I hope whatever density might be developed will match that of the current complex or be higher.

A down side to this is that a lot of bus riders will be taken off that route. Hopefully the residents being relocated will still have access to public transportation.

Being honest and not trying to be dramatic, this could be a game changer for Cleveland Street and the neighborhoods around it. There will be an argument of gentrification, of the rich continuing to push the poor out of the city -- making it conducive to what the middle-upper classes want. This will be a battle that Greenville will fight for a long time, as the city grows in popularity and as more complexes like Crossroads disappear from within the city limits. That being said, if a Hughes is doing high rent apartments, then the property values around there will increase dramatically. Beyond that Andover Apartments, which are close to the YMCA, will also be bought and transformed into high rent apartments if Hughes is successful. Its about time Cleveland Street is rumored to be experiencing this transformation.

The poor not being able to live in the city is NOT the city's fault in my opinion. Its the state's for not changing the annex laws to be easier for a city to tke more land. Since cities are so restricted in land size in this state, they need a "more rich" city limits, to be able to compete with outside states in downtown programs, attractions, etc.

I've gotten confirmation that Bob Hughes is not the developer for the Crossroads Apts site. However, it is another local developer, and they'll be investing in the site to provide another rental option near downtown for young professionals, etc. I think this will be something to really look forward to!

I've gotten confirmation that Bob Hughes is not the developer for the Crossroads Apts site. However, it is another local developer, and they'll be investing in the site to provide another rental option near downtown for young professionals, etc. I think this will be something to really look forward to!

Davis Property Group?

I've heard something might be going on with the large vacant property on Church St and Wakefield. Possibly a large scale mixed use development with apartments and retail. This could be an epic development for that area. I think this is the same location as the originally proposed WalMart Mini. Anyone heard anything along these lines?

I've heard something might be going on with the large vacant property on Church St and Wakefield. Possibly a large scale mixed use development with apartments and retail. This could be an epic development for that area. I think this is the same location as the originally proposed WalMart Mini. Anyone heard anything along these lines?

Welcome to the forum! What street is Wakefield?

Welcome to the forum! What street is Wakefield?

Wakefield was the first cross street between University and Haynie. When they put the median in it closed off this street (as well as Springer St.) but if you look on the map it technically still runs to the middle of Sirrine Stadium. If a rumored project was only between University and Wakefield it would take up about half (rough estimate based on looking at a map) as much space as the Wal-Mart had plan to take up.

Welcome to the forum.

I hope this rumor is true. I think the Walmart proposal could be a blessing in disguise. Now that the development community knows that this site met Walmarts demographic/traffic criteria, it stands to reason that the site is 'validated' for retail. Now we just have to be sure the retail and other uses that might be included are in the configuration that we would like to see.