The Rumor Mill

btoy

Skyliner, do you know for a fact that the address would change?  Since city limits are subject to change, I don't know that the PO pays much attention to them.  

It seems odd that Duncan Chapel would let that revenue source go.  I also wonder how contiguity is going to be established.  The Swamp Rabbit would be the only obvious way.  It would seem County Council would have to sign off on that.   Also, it would seem that Greenville could do the same to annex monaghan Mills or any other property on the trail. 

From TRtribune.com, with a dateline of today: TRAVELERS REST, S.C. – On Thursday, Travelers Rest council members voted unanimously to approve a temporary agreement to provide fire protection services to Furman University, a move that puts the city one step closer to annexing the institution and surrounding properties. As part of the agreement, which was first reported on the Tribune on Wednesday, Furman will pay the city $13,333 per month and will request annexation into the city of Travelers Rest "as soon as reasonably practicable." The article quotes City Administrator Dianna Turner as saying that "Furman approached the city [of Travelers Rest] about the possibility of providing fire service for the institution after the Duncan Chapel Fire Department decided not to renew its contract with the university." Full story at http://www.trtribune.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5637:travelers-rest-moves-one-step-closer-to-furman-university-annexation&catid=42:rokstories&Itemid=113

Channel 7 (WSPA) has a different take, reporting that Duncan Chapel FD wanted to raise their fee, which apparently prompted the university to look elsewhere. According to the station, "The city only wanted the deal if the school would agree to annexation." http://www2.wspa.com/news/2012/dec/20/3/furman-university-takes-first-step-toward-traveler-ar-5211284/

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="btoy" data-cid="1249012" data-time="1356103989"><p>

The city in your mailing address is based on Zip Codes and post office locations you can live in the city limits of one city and have another city in your mailing address.</p></blockquote>

You got it. My parents have an Easley, SC address but live at least a few miles outside the city limits.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I heard last night that New Spring Church is looking into buying the TD Center. They already hold Sunday services at this location. My first thought was that was nuts. However, maybe the city could sell the TD Center to New Spring and then build a bigger and better convention center/hotel downtown. Maybe this is not so nutty after all.

I heard last night that New Spring Church is looking into buying the TD Center. They already hold Sunday services at this location. My first thought was that was nuts. However, maybe the city could sell the TD Center to New Spring and then build a bigger and better convention center/hotel downtown. Maybe this is not so nutty after all.

When the TD Center, then known as the Palmetto Expo Center, was bought by the city, there was talk of Redemption World Church buying the building instead of the city.  Also at that time there was talk of the city swapping the center for County Square, where a new center would have been built.  I assume buying the Palmetto Expo Center and renovating it was just to good to pass up at that time.

TD Center is a VERY large center for a city our size, the largest between ATL and DC. 

I could see selling it only if the new facility was of similar size.

To quote a movie: "Well dreams, they feel real while we're in them, right? It's only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange."