The Rumor Mill

btoy

East Broad at Falls Street diagonally across from the ABC store. Erwin Penland is the red building in the background on the pic.

The owner of that parcel also owns a parcel around the corner on Main St. where part of the parking lot is.  Hopefully someone is cobbling together all the vacant parcels together.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

LOL! Denny's? I would like a better breakfast place there, but I it will certainly be better than Waffle House.

That was my reaction too! This is the rumor mill though. If you think about it, it would make sense, a diner that is open 24/7 underneath apartments. I believe with all the additional apartments being built and people moving downtown that we probably start to see more national "fast food" places popping up around downtown. 

Honestly, I've always been shocked at the lack of Denny's in the Greenville area. I mean the only one I know of is the one on Wade Hampton and I'm not even sure it's still there.

Not saying we're missing much but a thriving economic area 30 miles from their headquarters and don't have a presence? Just always was weird to me. IHOP does well enough on Woodruff Road.

• 1 month later...

How about the conference center? I am starting to think the CC would be better on the edge of downtown instead of being located in downtown core. The CC would not be active a lot of days and would create a "dead zone", and would also create a lot of traffic. As an example I think several different mixed use buildings would be a better use for the river street site, then The CC and a parking garage. At the AGFA site the CC could be a block long, pushed to the 123 with the garage behind it, it also would have good street connections for traffic. 

• Like 2

How about the conference center? I am starting to think the CC would be better on the edge of downtown instead of being located in downtown core. The CC would not be active a lot of days and would create a "dead zone", and would also create a lot of traffic. As an example I think several different mixed use buildings would be a better use for the river street site, then The CC and a parking garage. At the AGFA site the CC could be a block long, pushed to the 123 with the garage behind it, it also would have good street connections for traffic. 

I think this is a great idea. Makes much more sense than trying to cram a conference center into the West End with small streets. Prime land like that needs a better use than a conference center which may or may not be used most of the time. If Greenville wants to become more of a "convention city" (and I think it should try hard to), then something like the AGFA site would still be a great location with much better accessibility, as you stated.

• 1 month later...

No - That will be Residence Inn & Spring Hill Suites combo. From what I understand, plans were submitted to the city for the upcoming DRB meeting. Estimated 2 years out on completion.

I thought someone said they dropped immediately plans for the Spring St. lot to pursue the AC Hotel at the Camperdown project first.  I guess not?