The Rumor Mill

btoy

Well maybe we are all confused. I know of a big project that Bob is working on an it is not on N. Main. But, I do not know what else he is working on, so it is always possible. But I am pretty sure he was refrring to the project I think he was referring to.

OK GvilleSC and gman430; heard anymore info on the rumors you guys spoke of?

Nope, sorry. The only thing Bob Ellis has told me is that it will be located in the "uptown" area of Greenville. Not sure if that means the North Main area or not, most likely it does though.

Edited by g-man430

:yahoo:

Question: Is this new tower or development your hinting at going to be in the North Main area of "uptown" if it all goes through and if your aloud to tell me?

Answer: You are very, very warm - can't release much more for a week or two. Sorry

Question: Is this new tower or development your hinting at going to be in the North Main area of "uptown" if it all goes through and if your aloud to tell me?

Answer: You are very, very warm - can't release much more for a week or two. Sorry

Oh boy! Can't wait for that news! It will probably happen while btoy is in Alaska too. :rofl:

port city java is moving in to west end fieldhouse for sure!

time will, as always, tell the story. i, for one, drink way too much coffee as it is. ;)

i had a lead on new office space in the West End (hence the counting of coffee shops) but that fell through - i'm back looking in the 'coffee' street area. i'll keep up my CU habit, it seems.

well, the 27 was thought over and reduced somewhat. Still taller than BoA tower. But added another what you might call midrise into the development from the levels that were taken out of the tower. That's all i've heard.

Reduced how much? So if they are still working on this, it sounds like there is a pretty ggod chance it will be officially proposed? What about the parking garage?

gman, do you know of any possible announcement date, is this what he means by "a week or two"? Do you know if this will be mixed use?

Reduced how much? So if they are still working on this, it sounds like there is a pretty ggod chance it will be officially proposed? What about the parking garage?

I believe it still tops 20. It's still waiting on response from the developer... others were presenting proposals too. Hopefully whoever proposes the tallest tower will win :)

I believe it still tops 20. It's still waiting on response from the developer... others were presenting proposals too. Hopefully whoever proposes the tallest tower will win :)

That seems to answer my question above, though indirectly. So can we assume these proposals are being submitted by architectural design students at Clemson University? Now the question still remains; how likely is this project to actually happen?

That seems to answer my question above, though indirectly. So can we assume these proposals are being submitted by architectural design students at Clemson University? Now the question still remains; how likely is this project to actually happen?

No, this is a company doing the proposing. It's likely depending on which proposal the developer picks.

RUMOR: The Peace Center is considering acquiring a new theater venue on River Street which would house a ~150 seat black box theater that would, in theory, be home to productions much like those at the Warehouse Theater and maybe even Centre Stage.

A year ago the Warehouse Theater and the Peace Center attempted a merger. The Warehouse Board had approved it (contrary to what a recent Ann Hicks/Greenville News story reported) and then someone read the bylaws and saw that the "members" also had to approve it. After a vote, the members narrowly shot it down, largely on the grounds that the Peace Center was too mainstream/blue-blood/institutional and the economics didn't seem to make sense with the Peace Center assuming the Warehouse Theater's debt in return for acquiring its valuable real property in the West End. Now -- if the rumor is true -- the Peace Center is going through with the deal. Just without the Warehouse Theater...which, of course, still has all that debt.

QUESTION: Is the Peace Center putting a stake in the heart of the Warehouse Theater?

I actually think this is good news. I'm squarely in the "rising tide floats all boats" school of thinking. I think we have a good base for a theater community and dramatic arts here in Greenville, but we definitely could use a big boost and this may be the thing that raises local consciousness of our theater offerings and increases the quality of offerings and stage talent in town. I enjoy the local stage, but I have to say I'm not really floored by many local productions. One of the big disappointments with the abortive Warehouse Theater merger was the fact that the Warehouse would not become a LORT -- and if this new RUMORED theater venture is going to be a LORT then that would be exciting and a tremendous development for Greenville theater, so I'd be extremely excited about this if the LORT was thrown into the equation again.

Does anybody else have thoughts on this? Does anybody really care about what's going on at our local stage venues?

RUMOR: The Peace Center is considering acquiring a new theater venue on River Street which would house a ~150 seat black box theater that would, in theory, be home to productions much like those at the Warehouse Theater and maybe even Centre Stage.

A year ago the Warehouse Theater and the Peace Center attempted a merger. The Warehouse Board had approved it (contrary to what a recent Ann Hicks/Greenville News story reported) and then someone read the bylaws and saw that the "members" also had to approve it. After a vote, the members narrowly shot it down, largely on the grounds that the Peace Center was too mainstream/blue-blood/institutional and the economics didn't seem to make sense with the Peace Center assuming the Warehouse Theater's debt in return for acquiring its valuable real property in the West End. Now -- if the rumor is true -- the Peace Center is going through with the deal. Just without the Warehouse Theater...which, of course, still has all that debt.

QUESTION: Is the Peace Center putting a stake in the heart of the Warehouse Theater?

I actually think this is good news. I'm squarely in the "rising tide floats all boats" school of thinking. I think we have a good base for a theater community and dramatic arts here in Greenville, but we definitely could use a big boost and this may be the thing that raises local consciousness of our theater offerings and increases the quality of offerings and stage talent in town. I enjoy the local stage, but I have to say I'm not really floored by many local productions. One of the big disappointments with the abortive Warehouse Theater merger was the fact that the Warehouse would not become a LORT -- and if this new RUMORED theater venture is going to be a LORT then that would be exciting and a tremendous development for Greenville theater, so I'd be extremely excited about this if the LORT was thrown into the equation again.

Does anybody else have thoughts on this? Does anybody really care about what's going on at our local stage venues?

Interesting rumor, Fiddlestix. I had to click the link you provided to know that a LORT theater was in the League of Resident Theatres, so obviously this is all new to me. It does sound like such an acquisition by the Peace Center would diversify our theater options in Greenville. That is, of course, a great thing!

I do have a couple of questions, though. Is the rumored place on River Street a vacant lot that would have a theater developed on it, or is there already an existing structure there (obviously something that would need to be renovated or torn down)? If this deal happens, is it pretty safe to assume that the Warehouse Theater would go under? I have never been to the Warehouse Theater, but am aware that it has more avant-garde productions (which I think there is a definite place for in our market). I hope that a new LORT theater in Greenville would push the artistic envelope at times also.

I definitely agree that our arts scene in Greenville is good, and with new offerings like a LORT theater, it will become great. :thumbsup:

Interesting rumor, Fiddlestix. I had to click the link you provided to know that a LORT theater was in the League of Resident Theatres, so obviously this is all new to me. It does sound like such an acquisition by the Peace Center would diversify our theater options in Greenville. That is, of course, a great thing!

I do have a couple of questions, though. Is the rumored place on River Street a vacant lot that would have a theater developed on it, or is there already an existing structure there (obviously something that would need to be renovated or torn down)? If this deal happens, is it pretty safe to assume that the Warehouse Theater would go under? I have never been to the Warehouse Theater, but am aware that it has more avant-garde productions (which I think there is a definite place for in our market). I hope that a new LORT theater in Greenville would push the artistic envelope at times also.

I definitely agree that our arts scene in Greenville is good, and with new offerings like a LORT theater, it will become great. :thumbsup:

They're looking at -- ahem, RUMORED TO BE looking at -- the Klingman-Williams Building at 301 River Street. Look here and check out the Google map link: http://www.google.com/search?q=klingman-williams+greenville

We have some very talented actors and production people here, but we're not really all that deep. Many in our community could be easily replaced with better quality artists and others would benefit from the learning experience that would come from resident artists of a high caliber. I definitely see this as a threat to the lesser artists in the community from having access to the top stages -- but that's because I see this as a boost to the theaters overall and they'll be able to -- and will need to -- insist on the highest standards for those who act and create productions, from set design, lighting, sound to marketing. Is it legitimately scary for Centre Stage and the Warehouse Theater? You betcha. But I think they'll benefit from a Peace Center-backed LORT...in the long run.

Isn't there already an effort to convert this building into artist space? :blink:
Yep, but it seems that if the Peace Center acquires this property it will become a theater. It would be a dramatic shift from the plans as they were unfolding just a few months ago (which were hardly fully formed). Instead of art studios and the like -- Greenville's version of, say, The Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA -- it will be a small, black box stage that would be a companion for the Peace Center.

This raises another concern, I suppose, which would be whether this deal -- if true (as stated above) -- will effectively take away opportunities for visual artists that would benefit Greenville.

EDIT: Question from a lazy poster...Is there a thread here dedicated to the arts scene in Greenville? We've got sports, architecture, transportation. What about the arts? Or, better still, the various disciplines and media that make up the arts scene? I suppose some of these questions I'm raising would best fit in such a thread.

Edited by Fiddlestix

This is very interesting, indeed. It would certainly take away a prime artist colony location; however, West Greenville in the area around the old Brandon Mill, a burgeoning artist community is forming, thanks to folks like Dick and Gwen Heusel. If you haven't driven through the area recently, I suggest you venture out and have a look around the area.

EDIT: Question from a lazy poster...Is there a thread here dedicated to the arts scene in Greenville? We've got sports, architecture, transportation. What about the arts? Or, better still, the various disciplines and media that make up the arts scene? I suppose some of these questions I'm raising would best fit in such a thread.

I don't believe there is a thread dedicated to the arts, per se; however, there are a couple of threads related to the discussion:

You know, while we're discussing the idea of having an Off Topic Sub Forum, we may want to entertain organizing the Greenville forum into subforums for the following discussions, as well:

• Sports
  • Transportation
  • Visual and Performing Arts
  • Education
  • Healthcare
  • Government
  • Urban Development and Renewal
  • Construction Projects
  • The Tea Room (Off Topic)

Edited by RestedTraveler

• 2 weeks later...

Any more info on this one GvilleSC?

Unfortunately not...

But I hear that word on the street is that the "tower" or office building at the greenville mall site will be around 10 stories... hmmm ;) i have suspisions of the tenant, but totally guessing so i shall not create any hoopla surrounding what would happen and all take place... ANYWAY this is ONLY the Rumor Mill keep this all in check.

But can you imagine the presence of a 10 story tower at the intersection of 85 and 385!!! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately not...

But I hear that word on the street is that the "tower" or office building at the greenville mall site will be around 10 stories... hmmm ;) i have suspisions of the tenant, but totally guessing so i shall not create any hoopla surrounding what would happen and all take place... ANYWAY this is ONLY the Rumor Mill keep this all in check.

But can you imagine the presence of a 10 story tower at the intersection of 85 and 385!!! :thumbsup:

10 Floors at that interchange would make MAJOR impact! :thumbsup: Care to hint who you think the company may be? :) I've heard nothing on the office part of the project, only bits and pieces on the retail aspect.

I could deal with a 10er there. Hopefully it wouldn't be a simple box. This has probably been discussed, but will this site be in the city limits?

Absolutely! The City of Greenville is working very hard to scoop up as much of these new developments/revitalizations as possible. They will add greatly to the tax base, thus providing more funding for further cosmetic upgrades and unique touches around the city. :shades:

Unfortunately not...

I know who the tennant will be if everything gets finalized. It will be awsome.