Modular Housing

tombarnes

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While getting people moved back in as quickly as possible is important, it shouldn't be the first priority. The first priority should be rebuilding the area with the future in mind. While the houses appear strong, there is a certain stigma that can go around with modular housing besides the fact that htey lose value faster than a permanently built structure.

But there are other ways to increase value in a neighborhood, so perhaps this is a good solution.

I couldn't agree more that they should not be considered a permanent solution. Getting the infrastructure in place for smart development is probably the best course of action. Of course, they are still hauling away debris, so this could take longer than many assume. I have a feeling that if too many of these modular houses are built, they may become permanent fixtures. I don't think anyone really wants to see that happen (except the builders of the modular houses).

• 11 months later...

Force 10 Modular Housing

An Australian company has plans to build a plant in South Mississippi in the very near future. Force 10 has built supposedly hurricane-resistant housing in Australia, Hawaii and the Caribbean. This could be an interesting solution to a problem which won't be going away. At $70 per sq. foot. the houses also could be affordable to many people.

WLOX TV 13

Force 10 Modular Housing

An Australian company has plans to build a plant in South Mississippi in the very near future. Force 10 has built supposedly hurricane-resistant housing in Australia, Hawaii and the Caribbean. This could be an interesting solution to a problem which won't be going away. At $70 per sq. foot. the houses also could be affordable to many people.

WLOX TV 13

• 2 months later...

It's high time the FEMA trailers were sent to the boneyards. I hope these new modular houses are a success. Communities across the Coast are desperately trying to get rid of the FEMA trailer parks as they are breeding grounds of all sorts of vice. Sadly, it will take more $$$....

Archived