Salem Creek Connector Opinions...

twincity

Is this really needed?

connectorEnlarge.jpg

the last leg of the broken loop around downtown...IMO this project should benefit this part of the city, somewhat. This brings a new thouroughfare to WSSU's campus which is expanding towards Bowman Gray, and helps ease some traffic on US52/I-285. It would be nice if the Gateway was incorporated somehow.

article

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this really needed?

connectorEnlarge.jpg

the last leg of the broken loop around downtown...IMO this project should benefit this part of the city, somewhat. This brings a new thouroughfare to WSSU's campus which is expanding towards Bowman Gray, and helps ease some traffic on US52/I-285. It would be nice if the Gateway was incorporated somehow.

article

I'm not sure that this is needed, but perhaps I could be convinced. How will it affect Salem Creek, the park and greenway?

MLK Dr. is very crowded and needs to have some relief. I was thinking about how they said that they wanted to make MLK more pedestrian oriented and then it came to me. What if they closed off the stretch of MLK going through the WSSU campus permanently and rerouted traffic onto the new connector. The old road could be redeveloped as parks and squares and possibly new buildings with dorms and retail. It would tie everything together on the campus and make it look more oriented.

post-7212-1138594527_thumb.jpg

I made a rendering tonight of what the WSSU area would look like if we were to reroute MLK. MLK would follow the path of the connector and then go over 52 with a redesigned interchange the keep going up and then making a right crossing over 52 again and meeting up at the entrance then making a left. The last part would follow the path of Stadium Dr. Where MLK currently stands today would be converted into a commons area with dorms and educational facilities at either side. The new MLK would be 6 lanes wide with a grassy center divide with flowers with a dedicated HOV lane/bus lane possibly. The stadium drive interchange with 52 would be taken out. Civitan Park would be cut in half but would also be made bigger and would be big enough for a future football stadium or coliseum for WSSU.

post-7212-1138594527_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

That would be great if the city shut down MLK through WSSU, my friend's roommate got her foot ran over crossing MLK. Hotlanta, there's already a new dorm on the south side of MLK, called Gleason-Hairston Terrace and it houses about 450 beds consisting of one bedroom apartments, 2 and 3 bedrooms suites and two bedrooms suites with 4 beds. WSSU is trying to lease Civitan Park from the city for althetic purposes and also, they are going to tear down one of the oldest dorms on campus, Brown Hall and what will go in that location is a new student activity center and a parking garage or some sort. It is on the Master Plan and a member of the school's Student Activities Board said construction might start in 2007 or 2008. Bank Street is now a pedestrian mall with a clock tower at the end and the school hopes to extend it towards the track.

I think it could be a good asset to the city. The Stadium drive interchange is much too close to Bus. 40/US 52 cloverleaf and the land currently used for the Stadium drive ramp could be used for further expansion for WSSU. Also with all the gateway projects, it would give residents and shoppers easier access to the highway.

• 2 weeks later...

That would be great if the city shut down MLK through WSSU, my friend's roommate got her foot ran over crossing MLK. Hotlanta, there's already a new dorm on the south side of MLK, called Gleason-Hairston Terrace and it houses about 450 beds consisting of one bedroom apartments, 2 and 3 bedrooms suites and two bedrooms suites with 4 beds. WSSU is trying to lease Civitan Park from the city for althetic purposes and also, they are going to tear down one of the oldest dorms on campus, Brown Hall and what will go in that location is a new student activity center and a parking garage or some sort. It is on the Master Plan and a member of the school's Student Activities Board said construction might start in 2007 or 2008. Bank Street is now a pedestrian mall with a clock tower at the end and the school hopes to extend it towards the track.

just read that article about the student union in the journal. 90,000 sf and a parking garage?...im suprised something that size can fit on the main campus.

...The new student union will be 90,000-square-feet focused on ways to deal with boredom, including a bowling alley, a small theater, an expanded workout area, a food court and a 200-car garage, all built into a hill south of the Thompson Center.

Archived