New Urban Village Near Scaleybark Light Rail Station

monsoon

Update on this project:

After extensive soil testing on the site it was determined that the soil condition is pretty bad on this site and will require a lot more remediation than they were expecting. So to account for the poor soil condition the city is proposing a lowered sales price of about $5.2M. This is $1.8M lower than the initial price of almost $7M to Scaleybark Partners. This proposal comes before the City Council for their approval on Monday.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

My apologies for any cross postings, but I hadn't seen this anywhere yet ...

Crosland is holding a competition for ideas for developing their property in the Scaleybark Station area. The winner gets $10,000 to donate to a charity. More details can be found here:

http://www.crosland.com/greencontest/

• 10 months later...

Below is the first building proposed at the former Crosland HQ/shopping center at South and Scaleybark. This building will be along Scaleybark, not right at the corner though where the existing library is.

xy_3BBC7630-224E-416A-BE99-605269D8E629__.jpg

It seems that the current library will actually be moving here, and a grocery store will be filling the rest of the ground floor space, though I'm not sure if they already have a tenant lined up for grocery space or not. The upper floors will be office space.

Below is the first building proposed at the former Crosland HQ/shopping center at South and Scaleybark. This building will be along Scaleybark, not right at the corner though where the existing library is.

xy_3BBC7630-224E-416A-BE99-605269D8E629__.jpg

It seems that the current library will actually be moving here, and a grocery store will be filling the rest of the ground floor space, though I'm not sure if they already have a tenant lined up for grocery space or not. The upper floors will be office space.

Could be. I might have misunderstood, and thought the grocery was in this building, though it might just be within the same site (the confines of the existing office complex/shopping center). The building in the rendering is 60,000 sq. ft. (20,000 sq. ft. floorplate), so that would makes sense for the grocery to be in a different building, as that would have been a very small grocery.

• 9 months later...

The shopping center at Queen Park has been demoed over this past week (the sign was untouched!). This is where the Steak Out and Trolly Market were located. Polaris says its owned by Cherokee, have I missed discussions of plans for this parcel or are they just cleaning up?

Another puzzling event on this corner is Crossland's relatively new for lease signs at their office / library complex at South and Scalybark. I thought this center was headed for demolition as well.

I the mean time the South End apartment explosion has made this area significantly more attractive for a fullline grocery tenant.... (just wishful thinking)

• 1 month later...

Revivng this thread with updated news of the planned go-ahead. Apparently the project will be breaking ground this year.

On track: Urban village near train

Design work is under way for Crosland Greens, which will be about 3 miles southwest of uptown.

The first phase will include about 10 acres and prep work on other parts of the property. The first project will be a 16,500-square-foot building to replace the Scaleybark Branch public library, which is about one-third the size of the proposed building.

Crosland also has commitments for about 20,000 square feet in a proposed 60,000-square-foot, three-story office building, which also would be completed in the development's first phase.

Later phases of development will add retail and about 700 residences to the property, said Stephen H. Mauldin, Crosland's chief financial officer.

The concept for Crosland Greens borrows features from Birkdale Village, a mixed-use community in Huntersville.

Excellent. I think that's an area that would really benefit greatly from some new neighborhood-level businesses (like grocery - just don't let it be another Harris Teeter). Scaleybark Library has been undersized for a long time, so a better home for it will be a welcome change, too.

This was posted somewhere on UP, but this is the rezoning site plan for this project:

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planning/Rezoning/Rezoning+Petitions/2009+Petitions/2009-036.htm

Fantastic news indeed. It really can't come fast enough. That area has great potential and it's nice to envision what will be. If the projects like Silos etc are brought back in some form we could see a great knitting together of more TOD. The new library will be a boon to the neighborhood. The sketches always get me so excited. To have an authentic Birkdalesque urban district would be awesome. Can't we get some modulars in the meantime smile.gif

• 1 month later...

I think the plan was to relocate the library into the ground floor of a new office building to the east. Where the library currently sits is planned to be a major grocery store. Since it's hard to build spec office anyway, maybe now, the grocery store can move forward without or before the office building.

• 2 months later...

I do understand that compromises are necessary to get this important project going, but this struck me as bad news:

The partnership also says it will buy an additional 1.3 acres from Scaleybark Partners for $500,000 so it can build surface parking instead of a deck as originally planned.

^Is this more surface parking for the park-and-ride? Or for the development? It struck me as the former, since the article seems to indicate the very deck delayed was for the station. If so, this could be a way for the developer to still meet the joint-development obligation short-term for station parking.

I want to rant and feel crabby tonight.

I just don't get the mentality of places like this - it's a development - no different than a subdivision in the 'burbs. It's not a village. It's not a part of town, or a neighborhood in the city. It's a bubble that is willing to be in it's own world.

I'm not comparing it to Phillips Place or Birkdale (or what's the one in Ft. Mill?), but I don't understand those places either. Just seems so fake to me - a mall with houses. A marketed and crafted township like The Truman Show or something.

Why must every project reflect the marketing style of it's developer? Why can't we have honest places that become neighborhoods through human care and personal connection? And I don't want my "personal connection" to be marketed to me (especially by sorry excuses like Starbucks).

Forgive me for this. Just feeling hopeless about the amount of time before Charlotte could possibly more "real."

Archived