New Jersey Subforum?

lammius

New Jersey Subforum?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Would you participate in a New Jersey subforum?

• Yes
    • No
    • Ok, but only if the 1st thread is about James Gandolfini
  2. 2. Have you ever resided in NJ?

• I live there now!
    • I got out while I could
    • No, but I dream I will one day...
    • Keep your refineries and Springstein away from me!

We all know New Jersey is the barrel tapped at both ends, with most citizens being ultimately allied to either New York or Philadelphia. BUT, being the most densely populated state in the country, we have lots of urban (or suburban) qualities of our own.

Where can we discuss fabulous restaurants and nightclubs in Hoboken? Or the redevelopment of Jersey City, Newark, Long Branch, and (hopefully) Camden? Or transit projects such as ARC, MOM, and the Newark Subway extension?

Where can we kvetch about traffic on Route 1, or the 55/42 combo., and the deterriorating Pulaski Skyway? or about K Hovnanian raping the land by building "Towne Centres" in the hinterland?

Where can we discuss boondoggles such as the River Line and the Secaucus Transfer?

Where can we report sightings of the New Jersey Devil in the Pinelands?

Be there any New Jerseyans here, shall we request a subforum from the moderators?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be very nice to have a NJ forum because thats where i would land foot first contributing to the UP community before heading south as many posters on here know i am there most often.

The problem is, how many people on UP are from/were from NJ? How many people from NYC and Philadelphia would get actively involved with the NJ forum? The demand may not be high enough to warrant one but it would still be nice to have one though.

It would be very nice to have a NJ forum because thats where i would land foot first contributing to the UP community before heading south as many posters on here know i am there most often.

The problem is, how many people on UP are from/were from NJ? How many people from NYC and Philadelphia would get actively involved with the NJ forum? The demand may not be high enough to warrant one but it would still be nice to have one though.

That's exactly what I want to assess here. The NYC sub-subforum performs pretty poorly, so I wonder how an NJ one would do. Honestly (from my experience here and on SSC) I think southerners are more excited about their cities than Jerseyans. NJers are like "Meh, we have some urban stuff, wanna fight about it?"

Our experience with forum creation is it really doesn't matter what area is represented by the forum but what is important is that it is supported by a few key individuals. The rest follows with time. We have very successful forums here outside the South, and as you mention noticible absences such as NYC. My thinking on NYC is that it really isnt possible to have one subforum devoted to it and we would benefit by concentrating on one part of that city, but we just haven't had anyone to do that.

However if you guys will support NJ, I don't have any problems creating one. We really have never regretted adding a forum when requested by interested individuals. (that is why we are here). It might mean that you go a few months with very slow activity until it is discovered by more people.

If you guys are interested let me know and I will set it up. I would also need a description or I will just make it "The Garden State" or something like that.

I think a New Jersey sub-forum would be good. It does take time to build a community of people to participate. We recently thought about it in the last round of reorganization we did on the forum. New York City is so large that it has scores of internet forums devoted to subsections of it spread throughout the internets. New Jersey gets lost in all those discussions though, so we may be able to make a home for New Jerseyans here.

The New York City section is always here for people to discover it. As I've moved away from New York City, the more time that goes by the more distant I become from it. It's too much to try to keep up with the city remotely.

Our experience with forum creation is it really doesn't matter what area is represented by the forum but what is important is that it is supported by a few key individuals. The rest follows with time. We have very successful forums here outside the South, and as you mention noticible absences such as NYC. My thinking on NYC is that it really isnt possible to have one subforum devoted to it and we would benefit by concentrating on one part of that city, but we just haven't had anyone to do that.

However if you guys will support NJ, I don't have any problems creating one. We really have never regretted adding a forum when requested by interested individuals. (that is why we are here). It might mean that you go a few months with very slow activity until it is discovered by more people.

If you guys are interested let me know and I will set it up. I would also need a description or I will just make it "The Garden State" or something like that.

Metro,

I could try to be supportive regarding the NYC forum, but like you and a few other posters said NYC is huge!!! Plus I travel alot for my company, but I could focus on the Bronx...since that's were I'm from & still reside. There alot of new things happening in the Bronx, but I ask you guys again to please have patience with me on this because of my work. I frequent the Southern Forums mainly NC & VA because I have family

there, and because those 2 states are making great strides in their urban developements.

I work in Manhattan, and I can tell you....buildings are going up everyday, I think it would be hard to focus on all the construction in the city, unless you had ALOT of time on your hands. As for taking pictures, I'm going to focus on the Bronx...I think there's quite a bit of pics of Manhattan all over this site. I will try to contribute some photos soon.

I could focus on the Bronx...since that's were I'm from & still reside. There alot of new things happening in the Bronx, but I ask you guys again to please have patience with me on this because of my work...

I'd be thrilled to see more on The Bronx in the NYC section. Feel free to post whatever you want when you can.

Archived