North Columbia/North Main redevelopment

krazeeboi

The State reports that development consultants FA Johnson Consulting Group, Inc. has been hired by the city to come up with a master plan, along with other entities (local politicians and community leaders) for north Columbia which included identifying issues and developing strategies to revitalize the community, eliminate what the report describes as the perception that north Columbia is a high crime community, and to encourage commercial and residential development.

The master plan is calling for an artist village near the intersection of North Main Street and River Drive with retail and gallery spaces; a college village in and around Hyatt Park and North Main; a gateway village to showcase the entrances to north Columbia and the city of Columbia; and the redevelopment of the Golden Acres, Hyatt Park, Edgewood Acres, North College Place and Belmont neighborhoods.

A timeline and a budget has yet to be set, but so far, it sounds great.

• 1 year later...

I was reading about that development somewhere yesterday. I can't remember if it was Southern Living or somewhere else...I'll see If I can find where it was. It looks to be interesting there is quite a bit of development in that area and the other areas along I-20 going west from the River. While this isn't the city are, to my knowledge, I feel that it will prove promissing for the entire area.

Sounds great, except for one word: "gated". That is a terrible mistake, and should not be allowed. Gated communities are more suited for Irmo or the Clemson Road area--they are not part of the fabric of a traditional city. This also doesn't fit in with the Master Plan that the Johnson firm did for North Columbia (see earlier post above). :angry:

Sounds great, except for one word: "gated". That is a terrible mistake, and should not be allowed. Gated communities are more suited for Irmo or the Clemson Road area--they are not part of the fabric of a traditional city. This also doesn't fit in with the Master Plan that the Johnson firm did for North Columbia (see earlier post above). :angry:

Gated? Bah! Humbug! :tough:

Please excuse my ignorance :dontknow: , but what are "white elephants?" :camera:

Ha. Sorry... here. :) Something that espouses to be great, but is in fact a huge flop. When I say "more white elephants," I'm referring to the $400,000 homes that are sitting unoccupied on the West Columbia riverfront. We don't need more of this stuff. $400K may be cheap for other markets, but in Columbia it's a very high end home, and the market won't even support it. Meanwhile, the working class and young family market is going underserved.

Edited by emerging.me

^ and potential for quality urban development is removed entirely and replaced by the exact opposite- a gated mcmansion community.

My point exactly--gating this development, and vying for the "luxury" market in North Columbia (or anywhere in the market YET again!) dooms this one. It is a white elephant in the making, indeed, and probably won't get off the ground. That would be good for saving the developer's butt, and also for us because something better could take its place (hopefully something New Urbanist, and directed toward the middle class.)

Edited by digital_sandlapper

My point exactly--gating this development, and vying for the "luxury" market in North Columbia (or anywhere in the market YET again!) dooms this one. It is a white elephant in the making, indeed, and probably won't get off the ground. That would be good for saving the developer's butt, and also for us because something better could take its place (hopefully something New Urbanist, and directed toward the middle class.)

Well, this would be the perfect place for a development with some very cool modern, industrial-looking buildings and homes. That actually wouldn't look out of place at all next door to the buses and the power station -- something like the pics attached. But developers here (although these guys are from Florida) have no vision. Granted, I haven't seen their design yet, but I think it's safe to assume... Can you imagine how absurd this thing is going to look in that setting? They should have planned for something like this...

post-615-1176502530_thumb.jpg

post-615-1176502540_thumb.jpg

post-615-1176502611_thumb.jpg

Edited by emerging.me

• 3 months later...

FYI.... Looks like "Horizons Landing" is belly up. The entire parcel was listed for sale on Friday. Anyone have an extra $6 million to buy it and do a cool modern-industrial development there??? Don't know why it fell apart, but their plan was just not right for that spot. Mine is better. ;)

Edited by emerging.me

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

City Council members E.W. Cromartie, Sam Davis and Tameika Isaac Devine want to draw a circle around some north and east Columbia neighborhoods and funnel a portion of their property tax dollars back into streetscaping and assorted development projects. Essentially, they are advocating a TIF for these areas, which is what gave the Vista the boost it needed in becoming what it is today.

Source

• 2 weeks later...

Across the street from me, a house on a triple lot has been subdivided and 2 homes are being built on one of the extra lots. There would be room for about 5 of the same on the other lot if the same size houses were built. I honestly don't mind seeing the city densify as long as those homes fit into the neighborhood's architecture.

Edited by waccamatt