North Columbia/North Main redevelopment

krazeeboi

Across the street from me, a house on a triple lot has been subdivided and 2 homes are being built on one of the extra lots. There would be room for about 5 of the same on the other lot of the same size houses were built. I honestly don't mind seeing the city densify as long as those homes fit into the neighborhood's architecture.

Interesting. Hopefully, it doesn't come off as oddball as certain Atlanta neighborhoods.

188462349_d668869116.jpg

^^ That's what they did in my neck of the woods. Cut an oversized lot into the original house and two lots, then crammed two McMansions in there. A little further down the same street, they did the same thing, but put smaller houses on their since the lots were smaller. The houses stand out like sore thumbs, becasue they are vinyl in a sea of brick, and they are way too close compared to the other houses.

Are they building McMansions, or just out of character with the neighborhood (eg: different architecture)?

These are definitely not McMansions, they are starter-type homes. I can't yet tell what style these homes will be - I hope they fit with the character of the neighborhood. I'll take photos when they progress to the point that you can see what they look like. I don't mind the neighborhood becoming more dense, I think that is a good thing for the city - though I do wish the city would install sidewalks and normal storm drains instead of the drainage ditches that we have. When this neighborhood was originally developed it was in Eau Claire and not in the city limits so there are no sidewalks, unfortunately.

• 2 months later...

That was a really good series of articles. I'd like to see that area come to life again. There are some beautiful homes in the area.

So true, and the whole area isnt bad. I took a chance and bought in the Keenan Terrace section of Eau Claire a few years ago and I couldn't be happier. My biggest complaint is that there aren't real restaurants, clubs and retail within walking distance. This is why I'm hopeful the Main Street beautification will turn that around. There are 5 decent, diverse, middle class neighborhoods surrounding Main Street between Elmwood and Fairfield Road (Cottontown, Elmwood Park, Earlewood, Keenan Terrace and Hyatt Park) which must contain at least 10,000 residents. You would think that stretch of Main should be a prime commercial corridor, but its not. I want to see that change and if the results of other streetscaping projects continues with this one - it should hopefully reach its potential.

Taking a ride down North Main, you'll definitely see that the neighborhoods north of downtown certainly run the gamut. It's good that there is a comprehensive strategy to address the issues facing this area of the city; the streetscaping is a great start towards that end.

I was just riding in the Hyatt Park neighborhood my last visit in Columbia and was thinking the same thing about how much potential the homes in that area have. I also was looking at the homes behind the Bi-Lo and their are some nice homes there...I have a cousin that use to live off of Marstellar Ave and another one off of Elmore Ave and i use to think how much potential those homes have for them.

What's sad is that I think it's a good chance some of those homes will be demolished because my cousin was forced to leave the home because the owner recieved an "offer" from someone who is trying to buy up those homes in that area so he didn't allow her to renew the lease so she moved to NE Richland off of Polo Rd. I can remember the house having wonderful bones about it :(

I was just riding in the Hyatt Park neighborhood my last visit in Columbia and was thinking the same thing about how much potential the homes in that area have. I also was looking at the homes behind the Bi-Lo and their are some nice homes there...I have a cousin that use to live off of Marstellar Ave and another one off of Elmore Ave and i use to think how much potential those homes have for them.

What's sad is that I think it's a good chance some of those homes will be demolished because my cousin was forced to leave the home because the owner recieved an "offer" from someone who is trying to buy up those homes in that area so he didn't allow her to renew the lease so she moved to NE Richland off of Polo Rd. I can remember the house having wonderful bones about it :(

My aunt and uncle bought a house in that neighborhood a couple years ago. It is HUGE and now it looks amazing. They got it really cheap as well. Everyone told them not to move out there but that didn't stop them. It seems that a lot of people around there a redoing their houses. Hopefully it will continue!

It's true that this area has so much potential. CelticWorks, a great local builder that really cares about the neighborhood, are doing a lot of nice starter-type homes in that area. (Full disclosure: The owner is a friend of mine.) Here are some modern loft-style townhomes that they're going to be starting soon at the corner of Miller and Ridgewood.

projects_comm_ridgewood_03.jpg

The immediate area, right off Main before you get to Lincoln Park, is sort of semi-industrial so this design really works there.

Edited by emerging.me

It's true that this area has so much potential. CelticWorks, a great local builder that really cares about the neighborhood, are doing a lot of nice starter-type homes in that area. (Full disclosure: The owner is a friend of mine.) Here are some modern loft-style townhomes that they're going to be starting soon at the corner of Miller and Ridgewood.

projects_comm_ridgewood_03.jpg

The immediate area, right off Main before you get to Lincoln Park, is sort of semi-industrial so this design really works there.

It's good that more new developments are being brought to this area. This is infill right? Or are they tearing down houses to build this?

It's good that more new developments are being brought to this area. This is infill right? Or are they tearing down houses to build this?

Yup, it's infill. Here's the approximate location. It's just an overgrown vacant lot at present.

Thos townhomes are super bosco, EM.

Aren't they sweet? I'm really looking forward to seeing them go up. Love the exterior materials -- hardipanel, corrugated metal, etc. I imagine the interiors will be very clean and simple -- affordable modern style.

Edited by emerging.me

I'm not that impressed with this one. Its all frontloaded townhouses. Its north of Sunset though, so they should go for a pretty good price.

The site sort of dictates that -- it drops off sharply towards the rear. I do think they'll go for a good price. I'd snatch one up myself if I didn't have two toddlers.

I have to agree with you there. While I'm not a fan of it myself, I do appreciate some architectural diversity. In Charlotte, however, you see this type of housing more frequently in SouthEnd and other former industrial type areas (Optimist Park, NoDa, etc). So, IMO, this style would be well suited for parts of the Vista- particularly those areas south of Gervais and west of the RR.

• 2 months later...