For your health

Jerseyman4

Killing your lungs may become illegal to do so at your local restaurant/bar. More from WCBD.

But lawmakers are lining up to fight the bill, including Rep. Ralph Davenport, R-Boiling Springs. He's not a smoker, but doesn't think the government should get involved.

"If an individual owns a business and it's his investment, his capital, then that individual ought to have the right to do in his business as he sees fit," he says.

Is it right that public health is jepordized by smoke being blown around so everyone can inhale it?

Smoker B.B. Bell also doesn't think the bill should pass. "They're kind of overdoing their boundaries, in my opinion. I mean, we're supposed to have a freedom of choice and it's my choice to smoke, and I don't think anybody ought to regulate that."

Nobody is telling you stop smoking, thats your business. Its everyone elses business who chooses not to smoke when going out to dinner on a friday night and has to put up with your smoke moving towards someone elses territory. Mr. Bell ought to check out the EPA's website on the damaging effects of second hand smoke.

By any means, i am not against smoking but i think in public areas in confined areas with little to none ventilation, smoking should not be allowed for the welfare of others. This is smart legislation and i hope it passes.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats crap. You have to be stupid to go to a bar and not expect some smoke. They have non-smoking sections for this very purpose at restaurants. I, for one, do not smoke. I think its disgusting. But, I see no reason to do this. It is an unnecessary law. Proper ventilation will keep smoke in the correct places. I agree with Mr Davenport on this one.

I don't know what I think of this. I do not like the idea of people smoking around me very often. I will choose places where there is either no smoking or has well ventilated smoking sections. I have been in restaurants that have non-smoking sections but the smoke just finds its way on over from the smoking sections which is extremely annoying. I wouldn't support a bill that outright bans smoking in private establishments, I believe that is a business decision the owner should have to make.

PS: DON'T SMOKE!!

This is a tough decision from a government perspective. On one hand, I agree that if a private business exists, the owner has a right to decide whether he/she wants to allow smoking inside the building or not. On the other hand, second-hand smoke DOES infringe on the rights of others. Personally, I cannot stand being in a restaurant where there is smoking. Especially in bars, where it is all smoking.

And even though there are non-smoking areas, the air still mixes. I have heard it said that having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool! ;)

It is an unnecessary law. Proper ventilation will keep smoke in the correct places. I agree with Mr Davenport on this one.

I dont think its unnecessary but ive already stated why so thats as far as ill go.

(if the law passes)How many businesses will install the costly ventilation equipment? The chains will because they can afford it but the independant establishments will have a harder time doing so.

I'm glad to see this bill. In a lot of resturants, all that seperates the smoking and non-smoking sections is a small wall that hardly does anything. this could possibly lead to less smoking in SC :thumbsup: .

Also, we need an extra tax on tabacco products to pay for healthcare.

I think when you get to these rural places in SC, the ban will be ineffective, and enforcing it will be extremely difficult. It will work in the cities, I have no doubt. I would hope that it leads to more restaurants with outdoor seating so that smoking would be permitted.

As for bars and such, I think that when you choose to go to such an establishment, you should expect a certain amount of smoke. If you don't want to have smoke, then don't go to the bar. I think that it should be the owners choise on how to run his establishment.

I can see where it would be a different situation if it were a familiy place- but those restaurants generally don't allow smoking anymore.

I do agree that SC needs a higher cigarette tax. I am fairly certain that Gov Sanford recommended that we increase it to the national average, but it never happened. I am willing to bet that Glen McConnel smokes and he didn't want to have to pay more for it.

I'm all for this, especially if its an all-encompassing law (unlike most places which only specify no-smoking when a certain percent of sales are food sales). As pricemiller said, the smoking ban works amazingly well in California. There are designated smoking areas in some bars, but only outdoors. Any personal activity that puts the health of others in jeopardy (second-hand smoke, drinking and driving, etc) should be regulated.

I understand that you have a choice in going to a bar or not, and I'm generally against taking away people's personal freedoms; however, having been places, such as CA, where the bars are smoke-free, I can honestly say that it has almost killed my desire to go to bars anywhere else... My throat isn't hoarse the next day, I can rewear my jacket or jeans, my eyes don't hurt, my lungs feel healthier, etc... And if someone needs to smoke, there's designated areas for them to kill themselves, without effecting everyone else..

My reasons for supporting this are admittedly selfish (I enjoy smoke-free establisments much more), but there is also plenty of common sense behind a smoking ordinance as well...

Here in Lexington. A smoking ban was passed about 2 years ago throughout the city. There were a few gripes and groans initially but eventually everyone stopped crying and accepted it. I will say it is refreshing to go out to a bar or restaraunt and not have to inhale the noxious fumes. I believe in Huntington, WV were I went to school, they have a conditional smoking ban. If "X" amount of dollars are attributed too alcohol sales then you are allowed smokers in your venue from like 9pm til close, or something like that?

In the tobacco belt (which SC is a part of), smoking is still a way of life, somewhat. It will be hard to make changes.

I posted the following in the Greenville thread about the possible smoking ban in restaurants:

Ban it in restaurants, even restaurants with bars (Applebees, Chilis, etc.) Let smoking continue in traditional bars, no problem there.

I agree, let tobacco farmers grow more corn & soy, which I believe are primary ingredients in E85, Ethanol & Bio-diesel.

One bit of irony though....if the Statehouse is considering a smoking ban in restaurants, why in God's name didn't they also raise the tax on cigs? Again, keep the tax just under what's charged in NC & GA, so people will still cross the border to buy "cheaper" cigs, and add more money to state coffers for healthcare.

In my opinion a ban on smoking is a good thing particularly in restaurants. I lived in FL for a while where it was banned in restaurants. It made eating out more :D enjoyable and it reduced wasted sitting area. We all know and are taught when we are young that smoking is :sick: bad. Why :huh: is there still difficulty understanding that concept?

Why :huh: is there still difficulty understanding that concept?

People are curious to try it out at a young age

Its addictive

Its a stress reliever

Its addictive

Its a social thing, sometimes to go with drinking or with your friends

Its addictive

Its habit that starts out at $2.50* for every 2 days since most people go through a pack in two days. Still cheap if you live in the southern states.

Its addictive

So addictive, it will eventually kill you.

Here in California, people have become quite used to not being allowed to smoke in restaurants or bars unless it is an outside area. It is actually rather nice. It seems to be a rather progressive thing for South Carolina to be considering. I do think SC should raise the cig. tax and still keep it under the neighboring states.

Archived