Baltimore Business

urbanvb

City bond sale moves hotel forward

Baltimore's long-awaited convention headquarters hotel project took a step forward Thursday when the city sold $301.7 million in revenue bonds for an average interest rate of 5.008 percent, according to the municipal Bureau of Treasury Management. Last year, the Baltimore City Council approved a package of bills allowing the city to use up to $305 million in bonds to finance the planned 756-room convention headquarters hotel. Planned for a city-owned lot outside Oriole Park at Camden Yards and fronting Pratt Street, the 19-story Hilton is slated for completion in 2008. Even though the bond sale will not close until Feb. 8, Milesky said preliminary work is expected to begin immediately on the hotel site.

article

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Survey: Baltimore's downtown 'emerging'

Downtown Baltimore ranks ninth in the country when it comes to highest homeownership rates, according to a recent study from the Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C.

Highlighted at a Downtown Partnership of Baltimore event on Thursday morning, the study shows that downtown Baltimore had a 27 percent homeownership rate in 2000 -- with close to 4,392 homeowners out of 16,277 housing units.

Downtown Baltimore's population grew from 1990 to 2000 by roughly 5 percent, giving the area just more than 30,000 residents. Birch acknowledged that downtown Baltimore's numbers have changed dramatically since 2000 -- with the housing boom.

article

Downtown job base expanded last year, group says

Downtown Baltimore's employment base grew almost 7 percent last year over 2004, bringing the number of jobs to nearly 97,500, according to a new report from Downtown Partnership of Baltimore.

Expected to be released at a Thursday morning event, the report details that 2,385 businesses added 6,223 jobs from Sept. 1, 2004 through Dec. 31, 2005.

article

GBC bio awards highlight 'percolating' regional industry

A biotechnology company that pulled together one of the largest venture funding rounds of 2005, along with three industry executives, were honored by the Greater Baltimore Committee as examples of the "formidable resources" the region is bringing to bear in building a thriving life sciences economy.

article

O'Malley: Hot real estate market fattens city coffers

Baltimore City's real estate boom will likely generate a $60.6 million budget surplus in fiscal year 2006, Mayor Martin O'Malley predicted on Wednesday.
article

Area housing prices still rising faster than national average

There is lots of talk about a slowing housing market, but prices are still rising, and prices in the region continue to be among the nation's fastest-rising.

A quarterly report from the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight says prices nationwide ended the 4th quarter of 2005 up 12.95 percent. The OFHEO says that is actually slightly higher than the revised 12.55 percent appreciation from the third quarter of 2004 to 2005, showing no sign of a slowdown.

article

• 1 month later...

22010700.jpg

9956299.gif

Hotel breaks ground in convention market

The start of construction on what will be Baltimore's largest hotel gives a boost to those who sell the city to conventions

Baltimore's long-awaited convention hotel is finally under way, Hilton Hotel Corp. announced yesterday.

The start of construction means that the city's convention sales team can start marketing the publicly owned hotel. Hilton, too, will open a sales office in Baltimore in August to promote what will be the city's largest hotel with its largest ballroom.

story

• 2 months later...

Report forecasts big growth for Md. biotech industry

In four years, the Maryland biotech engine could pump out as much as $4 billion in revenues, possibly reaching profitability, according to projections released by Ernst & Young as part of its annual biotechnology report.
story

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maryland gets $3.65M for nanotech center

The Maryland General Assembly's legislative policy committee has approved a $3.65 million investment for the state's NanoCenter at the University of Maryland's flagship College Park campus.

The money, which comes from Maryland's Sunny Day Fund and was pushed by Gov. Robert Ehrlich, will be used to purchase equipment for the NanoCenter's clean room in the new Kim Engineering building.

story

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Biotech park officials pushing for Hopkins MARC station

The evolving plans for the second phase of an effort to remake a section of East Baltimore north of Johns Hopkins Hospital call for a new MARC train station and the preservation of more rowhouses than originally anticipated.

http://baltimore.bizjournals.com/baltimore...6132800^1332928

That's a great picture. Makes me wanna go hang out in downtown Baltimore sometime. ;)

Thank you both (urbanvb and krazeeboi) for the compliment.

And thank you for the "welcome," urbanvb.

I just found this forum last night - seems like a neat place to hang out, learn, and hopefully share some things about my home town. I was surprised that my "Baltimore" nic was available. <_<

I have many photos that may fit some of the topics being dicussed here. If any apply, I'll be happy to share. I plan to publish a couple hundred new images on my Baltimore sites this fall/winter, but I'll have many more that won't make it online.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived