D'town Knoxville exploding with new loft developments

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great new for my old hometown. I travel back almost monthly but rarely get to downtown so this was a great article to read. On my next visit I will try to snap some pics.

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/business/artic...4418923,00.html

I'm glad to hear that K'ville is finally notiing its DT. It has so much potential. Also, the riverfront (oops, sorry, I meant lake) is a great asset. No matter what people say about Knoxville, they have to admit that it's a very clean city.

My wife's parents live in Knoxville, so I have some familiarity with the region. I just saw that Knox County issued almost 4,000 housing permits in 2005, and a lot of that is now in the north and south parts of the county (the west is so crowded). That's well over 7000 additional residents... showing healthy growth. Looking ahead, at that rate Knox could have nearly 450K residents by 2010. From what I've been told, Sevier and Blount are growing so much faster. It's not too farfetched that Knoxville's MSA would hit 1 million sometime around 2015. But that's with the old county composition. Hasn't one been dropped?

My wife's parents live in Knoxville, so I have some familiarity with the region. I just saw that Knox County issued almost 4,000 housing permits in 2005, and a lot of that is now in the north and south parts of the county (the west is so crowded). That's well over 7000 additional residents... showing healthy growth. Looking ahead, at that rate Knox could have nearly 450K residents by 2010. From what I've been told, Sevier and Blount are growing so much faster. It's not too farfetched that Knoxville's MSA would hit 1 million sometime around 2015. But that's with the old county composition. Hasn't one been dropped?

Sevier is no longer a part of Metro Knox, they went to micro status in 2000, but like you said, Those areas are growing very fast, Blount county which is part of metro Knox will be in the 121,000 range by 2010 up from almost 106,000 in 2000... Sevier's pop was around 77,000 in 2000 while most studies are showing Sevier crossing 100,000 between 2010 and 2015.

Wow, I looked up Sevierville's population and the city pop is listed at only 11, 757 as of 2000. Pigeon Forge is listed at 5,083 as of 2000. So thats A LOT of folks in the county. I wonder how long it would take Sevierville to get over 50K to give Sevier a metro status.

From the Census Bureau estimates show that Pigeon Forge has risen by about 10% from 2000 to about 5,600 in 2004. Sevierville has jumped from 11,757 to 14,101 in '04, adding about 500 people per year, so will probably be at 17k by 2010. Aside from the hamlet of Pittman Center with a populative of around 500, Gatlinburg is the only other incorporated town in Sevier County, and it registered a dramatic increase of about 25% growth from '00 to '04, going from 3,400 to 4,200.

Archived