Where do you live - City or Suburbs?

Guest donaltopablo

Guest donaltopablo

This is often a highly debated topic. But it can be a good one and something I think about almost daily. I love urban cities and urban lifestyle. Boston and San Fran are often tops for being the models of urban cities, although every city has some elements of an urban lifestyle.

But despite my love (and desire to go back), I live in the burbs. I was motivated to come live out here because I need a 2 car garage and couldn't afford one in the city. Plus, my business is out here, although it probably wouldn't matter where I lived now that it's gotten off of the grown.

So my question - Where do you live, city or burbs? Do you prefer or desire to live in the other? What's kept you where you are?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I grew up and lived most of my life in the Burbs of Charlotte and Raleigh. Just recently I have moved downtown and love it. I have spent almost a year in downtown Charlotte (counting the previuos time i lived down here) Its a change of pace from living in the Burbs and so far I like it.

I live in Monroe, a Charlotte suberb. Can't say that it's the grandest place. Most of Monroe is becoming rundown but there are areas that are not in the rundown situation. I've lived here pretty much all my life except for a while when I lived in downtown Chicago (moved there for a job). I work in Concord and do most of my shopping in Southpark, Matthews, etc. My family is in Monroe and close by and since I own my house and have some land that is the reason I live where I do.

I was raised in Ashland, Mississippi (pop. 520), and then moved to Muscle Shoals, Alabama (pop. 10,300). Now I live on the South side in Downtown Birmingham and have never loved living anywhere else more. Planning on living in Chicago for at least a year when I get out of college. So I definately love city life.

There is a great condo complex overlooking the grave yard on church street. Did you see it during your visit? Large balconies over looking a large tree'd grave yard. Looks pretty nice.

That sounds eerie, but interesting nonetheless. I wonder how many people live there.

I live in Henrico County within spitting distance of the Richmond city line. It is a very urban area with schools, stores, and a couple of bus stops just a short walk away. Technically, I guess it is the suburbs since it is outside the city limits, but it looks and feels just like the city.

i live near downtown Birmingham, in the southside area, but i don't think it's technically downtown...

i just spent the past 5 years living in downtown Columbia, South Carolina, and the 18 years before that(and this past summer) in the suburbs of Knoxville, Tennessee.

the only reason i'd want to live in the suburbs would be to turn my backyard into a battlefield for radio controlled tanks, like these guys i saw from california and colorado do...

-

Battlefield for radio controlled tanks? Sounds cool if they have some kind weapons to shoot at each other.

http://www.technogap.com/tankrun98.htm

http://www.fragarmor.org/Battlefield%20Photo's.htm

kit%20019a.jpg

10270028b.jpg

Battleday%20Sept%2028%202002%20007a.jpg

as cool as it sounds to shoot "real" weapons at each other, that would be a fun way to waste hundreds of dollars (I've read about these guys who build battleships that actually physically destroy each other though...)

but they do have a laser system for tanks.

tamika1.jpg

heh, i'd love to do this in some neighborhood and make the NIMBYs and neighborhood associations mad.

-

Guest donaltopablo

Dude, that's pretty sweet. I just want enough land to build my own road course. Probably need a few hundred acres for that, but you know, when I'm rich.

I live in the exurbs, rural actually. about 40 miles south of Greenville-Spartanburg, but they are putting up ugly sprawl homes everywhere around here so it wont be too long before Im in suburbs. Hopefully, if all goes well, I will find a job and house in either Sarasota or Miami sometime soon. Would love to be in Atlanta (my second home), but the weather down there is more suitable for me and my tastes.

For economical reasons, I live in the northeastern suburbs of Birmingham in an unincorporated area known as Grayson Valley (just outside of the suburb of Trussville). If we could afford it, my wife and I would love to live in a historical neighborhood like Highland Park or Forest Park, but at least we live in a densely populated townhouse development. ;)

I live in Lakeland, FL which is a 120 year old small city thats being overtaken by Tampa & Orlando sprawl. My neighborhood is a 10 year old dense development of 3bd/2ba single family concrete block homes with two car garages about 2 miles from downtown Lakeland and 30 from downtown Tampa. Even though I don't mind where I live, I plan on moving to Tampa/Orlando/Jax (haven't decided) in about a year. When I do, I'll be looking to buy a small run down brick building in the inner city that I can convert into a loft, since thats always been a dream of mine.

For economical reasons, I live in the northeastern suburbs of Birmingham in an unincorporated area known as Grayson Valley (just outside of the suburb of Trussville). If we could afford it, my wife and I would love to live in a historical neighborhood like Highland Park or Forest Park, but at least we live in a densely populated townhouse development. ;)

And it's a very nice condo development, too!

Randy, I was out that way last time I was in Birmingham (Jason wanted to eat at Backyard Burgers for lunch) and I noticed that in the distance, they were levelling out a mountain. What is that going to be when done?

• 1 year later...

city or suburbs - anyone from dallas (or any other major city) can probably relate

I live in far north dallas - it takes me a good 30 minutes to drive to work each day, but this is a short amount of time compared to most people who live in far north. I LOVE it out here... I have a huge apartment that's only 3 years old, I'm able to furnish it and decorate it to my best, and I have 4 malls, 6+ grocery stores and all the other types of stores/restaurants/bars/clubs within 15 minutes of me. Why would I want to live elsewhere??

If I were to live downtown (& I considered this 3 months ago before I moved to this place) - I would get a tiny, cramped apartment with just barely enough sq. footage and I would probably pay $100-300 more a month for LESS space. So yah, I'm close to all the action of downtown and it would only take me seconds to get to work... but (to me) the quality of living isn't as good. Being in the middle of the action means just that - you're in the middle of all the comotion that might take place.

I think it basically comes down to what's best for you. Some people like the hustle and bustle... others like the serenity. I like that I can get to downtown in 20-25 minutes, but I know that I'm still outside of the city where it's a bit quieter.

And Dallas, like most other cities I'm sure, is moving OUT of the city and building up on the outer ends. We have Addison that's been a booming area for quite some time... now the West Plano (tollway) area is starting to boom... even further north you have Frisco that's becoming the same way - a HUGE mall, restaurants, bars, shops galore, loft apartments, etc... Soon, it won't matter that you're not living in actually downtown dallas... the other cities are building up so much themselves, they too will become booming cities of their own

I live in the suburbs because that's where my university is located. It's ok out here, but I'd prefer living downtown. Any place in metro Detroit is less than a 30 minute drive from here. It's 15 minutes to downtown. There are at least 5 grocery stores within two miles of here. There are tons of restaurants and stores as well, although I'm a broke college student, so I never go to them.

I seriously looked at moving downtown. Rent downtown is much cheaper than it is out here. However, living downtown, I would have to drive out to the suburbs to get most of my shopping done. I would not mind that, since I have to drive out for school everyday anyway. I would have to get up two hours before my first class to get to school on time though because of the morning traffic. The big problem comes in with car insurance. The costs of car insurance in the city are very high. In fact, they are the highest rates of any city in the country.

Archived