Where do you live - City or Suburbs?

Guest donaltopablo

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

suburbs just south of the duval county line in jax.  i live in julington creek plantation in NW st.johns county. this area is exploding with growth.  i love it.

Until everyone starts fleeing from all of the hurricanes...will get gradually worse over time on an average apparently due to global warming.

Suburbs of Harrisburg...right on the border between new housing and farmland. Can still see a farm silo from our front yard, but that farm has just recently been bought. They are expanding an office park there....the current office park has aabout six lowrise actually very urban-looking office buildings. When the office park is expanded over that farm, there will be only one remaining farm in our township which used to be *all* farms about 60 years ago. This area is becoming a suburban wasteland :(. They are also proposing a huge "car-mart" that will eat up more farm-land in our neighboring township. Six new car dealerships along an already busy four-lane suburban highway. I hate car dealerships, they are so ugly!

Luckilly Harrisburg has seen an amazing renaissance and now a new highrise condo building is going up, hopefully this will start a change to more urbanism in this part of the state that seriously lacks any type of smart growth or new urbanism.

I live in a suburb, but i don't think many Charlotteans would neccessarily put Dilworth in the suburb catagory... It was probably charlotte's first suburb, via trolley. I feel like most of today's Charlotte suburbs are suburbs of suburbs... or suburbs of those... exurbs?... Parts of Dilworth are slowly urbanizing... http://www.sterlingdilworth.com/

Live: City of San Francisco

Neighborhood: Duboce/Castro/Mission

San Francisco is by far the easiest and friendliest City I've ever lived in. Each diverse neighborhood, particularly Castro, The Haight, West Portal can sometimes seem like separate little villages in the heart of The City. My 'hood (part Castro & part Mission) is one of the sunniest & includes transporation for both MUNI underground (J, K, L, M, N) at Castro or Church St. Station and BART, a short walk to 16th Street. BART often runs better than MUNI for some reason.

For a cooler surface ride to downtown, the F-line (historic trolley cars from cities all over the world with Milan's orange one being my favorite) starts at Castro/17th & Market Street with dozens of stops along Market Street and onward to the Embarcardero to Fisherman's Wharf.

The 'F' is not as fast as MUNI & BART but it is comfortable, fun and less stressful. Too, when I take the 'F' I don't feel like I'm part of that horrible crowded cattle herd rushing to work in the morning on a MUNI that often gets stuck in the tunnel.

MUNI service is better here than 10 years ago, but times it really sucks. And for goodness sake, don't take it after 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. if you're far across time as I have been out in the Avenues because there is none. Due to cutbacks, the City now runs buses called 'Owl Service'... and by the time one arrives you could have read 'War & Peace'. I really wish the underground ran all night, which is the only thing I would change about living here.

And finally, BART now runs to SFO ($4.85 one way), which is a big savings from a $30 cab fare to get me home to The City.

P.S. RAINY SEASON has started. It's been raining in SF all morning & now into the afternoon.

• 3 months later...

I live in Pasadena, CA. It's about 10 miles north-east of dt LA. I consider it an urban suburb just like most cities in LA county. I like the suburbs of LA. They are pretty dense and built on a grid with sidewalks. Sure there are a few gated bedroom communites with spaghetti sprawl, but that's uncommon. Plus most individual cities in LA county have their own little downtowns. Culver City, Manhattan Beach, Culver City, Santa Monca, Venice, the long ass stretch of Ventura Blvd running about 12 miles, pasadena, alhambra, and dozens more cities have their own little downtowns.

I currently live in Altamonte Springs, FL, which is about 10-15 minutes from downtown Orlando. I grew up in (and spent the vast majority of my life) in Skokie, IL, which is just outside Chicago. Living in Skokie, while undoubtedly a suburb, was great... very close to the city, served by Chicago CTA (including an extension of the EL). While I love the city, I am glad I grew up in the suburbs as I benefitted from going to much better public schools than what was available in the city. All in all, the one thing I can say is that the "suburbs" I was used to growing up in the Chicago area are very different from the suburbs I now live in here in Florida.

What is more important- space, sq. footage, parking or living in the middle of the action? I like to be able to go and get it, and then go home when I'm done. I have lived in Boston, but now I prefer taking the 30min commuter rail to work and back, and then my 5 min drive home from the rail. When I go home Idon't have to worry about parking, crime (knock on wood), noise pollution, etc. Weekends come I can drive into Boston whenever I fell like it.

Franklin, TN, just south of Nashville. Definately located in probably the most annoying suburbs of Nashville. It's got a population of about 42,000, up from about 20,000 in 1990. Even though everything is either dirt or buildings, I love it here. Franklin was voted best town in TN, and one of the best towns in the country. If I was given the chance, I would always move to the city. That's where I would live once I get a little older.

Archived