Where do you live - City or Suburbs?

Guest donaltopablo

I live in Somerville, Massachusetts, reputed to be the most dense community in New England, even denser than Boston or Cambridge. Based on this alone, I would describe it as decidedly urban. We have great public transportation including heavy rail and bus service. Its a dirty, gritty city and I love it.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

city. Winnipeg, Manitoba actually. i live in an urban neighborhood just south of the city centre called Osborne Village. its a 10 minute walk over the bridge to downtown, and transit is super accessible. Even if i could afford one, a car wouldnt be necessary.

The neighborhood is very diverse, and I live in the a huge 1900's house with 3 girlfriends. 4 of our male friends live on the main floor while we have the loft. (Its only 250/month per person. Yay cheap rent in winnipeg) There's nightlife, streetlife, and yet not even a block off the main street, my street is quiet, shaded with elm trees, and across from an elementary school.

I live in a southeast part of Columbia, just barely in the city limits. It actually is in a portion of the county called Lower Richland. It consists of neighborhoods along Garners Ferry Road (U.S. Hwy 378) which forks off of a downtown street called Devine Street. This area is an economically developing area where there were some old, bad neighborhoods that are being replaced with nicer housing, new restaurants, and new stores such as the new WalMart Supercenter and the new Sears. I guess you could consider that area as the 'burbs.

I live just North of Downtown Columbia in a neighborhood called Earlewood Park. Most of the homes were built from the 20's to the 50's. We are the second residential neighborhood going North from downtown Columbia.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought it was called Elmwood Park? I know Earlewood to be a neighborhood north of Elmwood Park. Maybe I have the names confused though?

I live in a southeast part of Columbia, just barely in the city limits. It actually is in a portion of the county called Lower Richland. It consists of neighborhoods along Garners Ferry Road (U.S. Hwy 378) which forks off of a downtown street called Devine Street. This area is an economically developing area where there were some old, bad neighborhoods that are being replaced with nicer housing, new restaurants, and new stores such as the new WalMart Supercenter and the new Sears. I guess you could consider that area as the 'burbs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess that is technically the suburbs, but it is so much closer to downtown than the NE and NW burbs that its almost not.....

I live in downtown Columbia for the time being.

I live in a suburb of Raleigh...Cary. Though techincally Cary is a city too but its definitely not urbanized at all. I hope to move to downtown Raleigh one day...Cary is just too much of a sleepy suburb for me. The only good thing is that it is fairly centralized in the Triangle metro area. It's very easy to get anywhere in no time.

I currently live in Oviedo, FL, a suburb of Orlando. I'm about 16 mi. from downtown, but only 3 miles from UCF, which is where I work. The area isn't overly developed because the highways in the area are toll roads, which don't generate as much sprawl as regular highways (ie the I-4 corridor). My neighborhood is surprisingly walkable for neighborhood services (schools, groceries, dry cleaning, gym, bars, restaurants, etc), but a car is basically necessary for everything else.

I Live in Washington DC Adams Morgan/U St. Area. Iam close to shopping 4 blocks to the food store and cvs, metro is 2 blocks away to U St. station and 6 blocks to Columbia heights metro station. clubs and bars are 5 mins away walking distance. close to bikeing trails and the Zoo. I work in the burbs takes about 30 min to get there as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Me, I live in Boston. As downtown as you can get.

I love it, I live for it.

However, I've lived in other neighborhoods of Boston, as well as immediate metro areas/suburbs of Boston. I grew up in CT. I visit my family in both CT and NJ who live in the country. I visit NYC on a regular basis. I don't know that I could hack NYC, and right now, I could not hack the country. Every person is different.

For me, Boston is perfect for many reasons. I live and work downtown. It takes me 2hrs to see my parents, 3.5hrs to NYC, 1+hr to reach my parents' beach house in RI, anywhere from 2.5-4hrs to reach ski country, and then there's always Nantucket and the Cape nearby too. Or, I could drive 40mins to Concord and I've got the country right there.

Right now, I need the city. I don't think I could ever be further than a 45min drive from the city. I live for everything cities have to offer!

I sadly currently live in Malden, MA. It's technically a city in its own right but it's really a street car suburb of Boston. It's served by two T stops (Malden Center and Oak Grove) It's is fairly dense around the core, but unfortunatly the city center was razed during urban renewal. There are still some interesting buildings (including two H.H. Richardson's) but a lot of the character of the city was destroyed in the 50's & 60's. Thankfully I work in the center of the financial district in Boston, so I get to spend a lot of time in the city. I grew up in West Roxbury, MA and spent my twenties living in Roslindale, MA. Someday I hope to move back to the city proper.

I live in the Dorchester section of Boston MA, the Columbia neighborhood specifically, which borders Southie and Roxbury. I live really close to the Andrew Square, JFK/UMass (which is practically in my backyard), and Savin Hill T stops and I'm only minutes from the heart of downtown. I also have pretty easy access to I-93 which is also pretty much in my backyard. It's a bit noisy due to the T stop, commuter rail stop, Logan flight path directly over my house, I-93, and construction on Dorchester Ave, but I really enjoy living in Boston.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Seattle, about 5 minutes from downtown.  I love it.

I shop at that Safeway all the time. I used to live at the bottom of Madison right across from Bush school. Now I live on the edge of downtown at the base of cap hill. How much is rent there? I think that is a great location (well it will be great when they get rid of Deano's. my brother has been robbed at gun point and been jumped by 3 people on seperate occasions).

I live on Federal Hill in Providence, which is right on the edge of Downcity, it takes me a about 5 minutes to walk to the heart of the city.

I've lived in Queens, New York; Downtown Portland, ME; and various locations in Boston in the past.

I visit NYC on a regular basis.  I don't know that I could hack NYC

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you can live in Downtown Boston, you can live in New York, it's just a different scale, but really living in New York is like living everywhere else. You get up, you go to work, you eat in restaurants, you go to movies... Every so often walking into to work in the morning I would catch a glimpse of the Chrysler Building or Empire State Building and it would hit me that I was in New York, and that that was kind of cool. But most of the time it's really just same ole, same ole.

I live in a small midwest City called Appleton, WI with a population of 71,000.

It's the only city of this size to have suburbs compare to other cities in Wisconsin with population over 70,000 and no surrounding vacinities. There are 8 suburbs outside this hub. It's famous for having the first hydroelectric cars and Magician Harry Houdini claims Appleton his hometown. What's interesting about this place is the city is located on a rich dairy farm valley. Probably one of few rivers in the world that flows north for 40 miles

flows through this city. City living beats the crap out of Rural. Rural is boring and far distances from entertainment and luxuries.

Big city or small city it also helps makes up people personalities.

• 3 months later...

I live in an inner suburb of Chicago. I need to be near a city, but I have to admit I could never live in the city, at least not the heart of it. I need more open space and free parking, which I have where I live. On the other hand, it's a developed community. I can, and do, walk to stores, restaurants, etc. There's sidewalks, streetlights, and quite a diversity of homes. If I want to go shopping at a big box store, it's just a few miles away. I don't have to spend 20 minutes sitting in traffic on a highway. The local power centers are relatively compact developments. It's not always the easiest thing to do to walk between stores or centers, but it's not completely impossible either, like it is in the more distant suburbs. In fact, Chicago is wonderful for reuse of land. There are so many power centers in the city and suburbs that sit on the sites of former truck terminals, warehouses and factories, and they are accesible by transit. If I want to go downtown, I can choose between two train lines to get there. If I needed to, I could catch the bus 2 blocks away, and there is 7 day a week service. I really feel like I have the best of both worlds, with a perfect blend of urban and suburban living. B)

I live on the very Southern edge of Nashville. Squeezed in between Creive Hall and Tusculum and Antioch and Brentwood, in the land of a million non decript apartments and sixty's era ranch houses. If I was brave man, I could walk down to Nipper's Corner for a beer at Marathon's or some Mexican food. And maybe after some alcoholic fortification I would tempt fate and cross the intersection of Edmonson Pike and Old Hickory Blvd to get to Kroeger. And if I had had enough beer or margaritas, maybe I wouldn't see which suv ran me down.

Hey cheeriokid, I just got a job in Franklin but I don't particulary want to move there but may be forced to for economics. We should be roommates and get a place in Nashville instead. :D

Archived